More Pics of the F-16 to wet your Appetite 'Large Post'

Shaun Fletcher

I have been asking myself this many times, and I have tried to find the answer; does FSX support widescreen monitors? I have a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW 1680x1050.

I saw the comparison between the pictures taken by Mr. Mathijs Kok and the video in the video forum.

Here's the picture taken by Mr. Kok

Radar_Terrain.jpg

And here is a screen capture from one of the videos.

screen111223323455334.jpg

You can clearly see that the HUD in the upper picture is taller and thinner.

Any suggestions on how I can avoid this?

Squint? :D

Hi guys,

I think that the wider image is a result of the conversion from avi to wmv file. When I 'shot' the video it appeared (on screen) to be much closer to the screen shot you posted. It only stretched after using Windows Encoder to convert. Hope that helps.

The video is the F-16 Lord Howe Island one (note: it's a fairly old beta used in that clip).

Cheers,

Colin.

now, the cockpit looks much much better than before. That is what I mean in my advice, wear&tear is not necessary, but difference still exist.

great job!

I have been asking myself this many times, and I have tried to find the answer; does FSX support widescreen monitors? I have a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW 1680x1050.

I saw the comparison between the pictures taken by Mr. Mathijs Kok and the video in the video forum.

Radar_Terrain.jpg

Yes; FSX supports widescreen. I have a 28" monitor running FSX in 1900x1200 resolution perfectly.

Radar_Terrain.jpg

Skjellnan:

Though "support" does not take place in these forums, I can tell you, in case this has not been made clear, that they ARE two different HUD's, placed in the HUD glass at different dimensions... with the difference in appearance that you're seeing, I suppose, compounded by your widescreen issue.

There has been SO MUCH done in the last month, HUD and otherwise, that old screenshots or movies are not at all reliable. But I think you'll like the product, in the end. It is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had "flying," ever, in any of the MS Flight Simulator series of products. (No exaggeration there!) And I've been doing it since FS5 and i386 machines. ;-)

Skjellnan:

Though "support" does not take place in these forums, I can tell you, in case this has not been made clear, that they ARE two different HUD's, placed in the HUD glass at different dimensions... with the difference in appearance that you're seeing, I suppose, compounded by your widescreen issue.

There has been SO MUCH done in the last month, HUD and otherwise, that old screenshots or movies are not at all reliable. But I think you'll like the product, in the end. It is, without a doubt, the most fun I've had "flying," ever, in any of the MS Flight Simulator series of products. (No exaggeration there!) And I've been doing it since FS5 and i386 machines. ;-)

How does it compare to the Hornet in Acceleration ? -I've just bought that and it is very impressive - or would be if I could work out how to use the damn MFD and Autopilot system !!!

Skjellnan:

Thanks for the support! It's just that I get a lot of nerves when I have waited for something and built up exitement for two years! But I guess Aerosoft knows pretty damn well what they are doing.

Btw, can someone explain what the difference between F-16A and F-16AM is?

Thanks. :)

PS: Keep up the good work; I'm planning on investing in a lot more of your stuff this year; God Willing! ;)

Same as above for me ,except,,, Wife willing! :rolleyes:

and James, That TH2Go is working perfectly, Just added a Track I R

to my setup yesterday. Had to get everything ready for the first flights

in a F-16,Hope I don't get motion sickness ;)

Randy

How is the TrackIR ? I'm thinking about getting one.....I guess with fighter aircraft they really come into their own...! ?

End of the week update. Tomorrow we'll build a new beta with all that's completed, but I decided it was nice to show you some new stuff.

- the pilot now lost his baby face and is an incredible cool dude.

- the last external load we had to do, the FPR pod (Flight Profile Recorder) has been completed and will be on several models.

- the external fuselage tanks are modeled, not perfect yet and the textures are not fully adapted but I thought it was nice to show work in progress.

Is the pilot called "Brad" or "Chuck" ? - all US fighter pilots are.......! ;)

Hey Mathias...you are a a very handsome guy......why not use your own pic ?

Gabe;

The track IR is one of neatest accessories I have ever purchased and it really helps with the

"immersion factor" in the sim. Set up was easy (which says a lot coming from a computer

challenged simmer such as myself) just install the software before plugging in the tracking

camera the first time. After changing the sensitivities to my personal tastes (slow and smoother)

I would recommend one to anyone ,unfortunately they are expensive,It was hard to spend my

limited sim funds on that especially when Aerosoft is about to realease two of my favorite aircraft.

One other nice thing about the Track IR it frees up the buttons on the stick I used to use for looking

around,which is a good thing as it is nice to disengage and or center the head tracking with the

buttons on the stick. I have seen them on sale for as little as $125.00,,, worth it ,I think so.

After having one for only a week I could not imagine ever simming without the Track IR

Randy

Gabe;

The track IR is one of neatest accessories I have ever purchased and it really helps with the

"immersion factor" in the sim. Set up was easy (which says a lot coming from a computer

challenged simmer such as myself) just install the software before plugging in the tracking

camera the first time. After changing the sensitivities to my personal tastes (slow and smoother)

I would recommend one to anyone ,unfortunately they are expensive,It was hard to spend my

limited sim funds on that especially when Aerosoft is about to realease two of my favorite aircraft.

One other nice thing about the Track IR it frees up the buttons on the stick I used to use for looking

around,which is a good thing as it is nice to disengage and or center the head tracking with the

buttons on the stick. I have seen them on sale for as little as $125.00,,, worth it ,I think so.

After having one for only a week I could not imagine ever simming without the Track IR

Randy

I've had TrackIR for about 9 months now and I cannot fly without it. It really does immerse you into the game and make it very real. I especially love my T-6 Texan II. I have the start-up checklist in my checklist book on my leg, and with my TrackIR I can just look around the cock-pit, going step by step turning switches on. It makes it so believable for me.

The funny part is, try flying once without TrackIR. You find yourself from habbit still moving your head trying to look around. It's fun.

How does it compare to the Hornet in Acceleration ? -I've just bought that and it is very impressive - or would be if I could work out how to use the damn MFD and Autopilot system !!!

Sir,

These are gentlemen responsible for the Cockpit and all its glory ...

HomePage: www.FSDreamTeam.com

For help with the functionality of the avionic systems, in their forums, look under the following topics:

Forums: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

* Welcome to the Unofficial F/A-18 Acceleration Pack board

* Autopilot and Radio explainations

* F/A-18 Flight Planning tutorial

* F/A-18 Printable Avionics Map

Enjoy! :)

maybe it's just me, but in those last 2 screenshots that were posted of the current HUD, and the HUD from the apparent older BETA, the symbology on the HUD looks much more realistic on the older BETA than it does on the current one.

on the older BETA it looks more like it's real light being reflected against the glass, whereas the current one looks more like it's just computer text being displayed on my LCD screen. the symbology from the older HUD has that "glow" from the symbology that makes it look more like real light.

is it maybe just how that last screenshot was taken or was their truly a change that makes it look less realistic?

cheers.

maybe it's just me, but in those last 2 screenshots that were posted of the current HUD, and the HUD from the apparent older BETA, the symbology on the HUD looks much more realistic on the older BETA than it does on the current one.

on the older BETA it looks more like it's real light being reflected against the glass, whereas the current one looks more like it's just computer text being displayed on my LCD screen. the symbology from the older HUD has that "glow" from the symbology that makes it look more like real light.

is it maybe just how that last screenshot was taken or was their truly a change that makes it look less realistic?

cheers.

Hi. The difference you note has got to be because of something in the screenshot images themselves. There is no difference in the way the HUD is coded now vs. thee way it was done back then, though it was substantially redone. Perhaps it's the resolution contributing to your perception. Or maybe the different symbology color? I don't know, but I'm sure it's not due to anything inherent in the HUD gauge itself.

Hi. The difference you note has got to be because of something in the screenshot images themselves. There is no difference in the way the HUD is coded now vs. thee way it was done back then, though it was substantially redone. Perhaps it's the resolution contributing to your perception. Or maybe the different symbology color? I don't know, but I'm sure it's not due to anything inherent in the HUD gauge itself.

thanks for the response.

I believe it might have to do with the color.

I searched for a few images, and this has got to be the most accurate image of the HUD symbology, the color, and reflection.

f-16_hud_020410_091.jpg

after comparing this to the current HUD, it looks to be more accurate now. although the real life color appears to be a little bit more washed out in the white scale.

thanks!

looking at this older screenshot from the older BETA, you definitely have the color much more accurate here...

Something close to BOTH of those colors -- 1 a more vibrant pure green, the 2nd a more subtle and faded one -- will be available in the HUD. Intensity will be adjustable via the Day / Auto / Night switch on the HUD control panel, lower right console. There'll be LOTS of buttons to fidget with... you'll be surrounded by them. ;-)

Something close to BOTH of those colors -- 1 a more vibrant pure green, the 2nd a more subtle and faded one -- will be available in the HUD. Intensity will be adjustable via the Day / Auto / Night switch on the HUD control panel, lower right console. There'll be LOTS of buttons to fidget with... you'll be surrounded by them. ;-)

ahh! that's great news. once again you have tempted us with such details....now hurry up!!!! :):)

I have another question that I haven't seen answered so far in this thread.

Will there be a manual included? If so, how thourough will it be? I'm hoping PMDG-level detail in the manual as there are a lot of advanced systems in a fighter jet very unfamiliar to an airliner pilot like myself. Will the manual be in printed version if you buy the F-16 boxed?

Steffen, Norway.

There'll be LOTS of buttons to fidget with... you'll be surrounded by them. ;-)

When this is released , I am going to feel like a kid on X-mas morning :lol:

Here's hoping that everyone who purchases this sim has a patient spouse

as I am sure that once into this it's not going to be easy to turn it off

I CAN'T WAIT

I have another question that I haven't seen answered so far in this thread.

Will there be a manual included? If so, how thourough will it be? I'm hoping PMDG-level detail in the manual as there are a lot of advanced systems in a fighter jet very unfamiliar to an airliner pilot like myself. Will the manual be in printed version if you buy the F-16 boxed?

Steffen, Norway.

Mathijs said that they have problem with the manual. It is so big that it can't fit into dvd case, so it must be quite thorough

Btw, can someone explain what the difference between F-16A and F-16AM is?

Thanks. :)

The difference is pretty simple; the F-16A is just an '-A' - whereas the F-16AM is a F-16A which has received the Mid-Life Update (MLU). E.g. the Belgian F-16's we've got here are all F-16AM's - including those we sold a while ago to Jordan.