wrong touchdown/flare behavior

for the record, it feels like the CRJ has the default MSFS aerodynamics which i wont lose too many words about

i noticed some very distinct floating in touchdowns where i could easily keep the plan at 10ft for half the runway with 5° nose up attitude.

i did another experiment where i kept the plane stable at a 140kt approach and didnt flare at all, just flew it into the runway at 140kts and it didnt bounce and the nose wheel floated in the air until it finally touched down after around 7000ft, idle thrust, spoilers deployed

this is pretty ridiculous imo, the modeling and everything is gorgeous and i'm really enjoying the system depth but the default flight model definitely doesnt do the CRJ justice

• Developer

We are working on getting a better balance for take-off and landing behavior. There are many factors which influence this and it is not just one screw to turn and it works. 
And in MSFS there are no damages...unless the ones you activate.

34 minutes ago, tksr said:

i noticed some very distinct floating in touchdowns where i could easily keep the plan at 10ft for half the runway with 5° nose up attitude.

5 degrees nose up pitch in flare is too much in either the real or simulated CRJ. The real aircraft lands very “flat” and actually has a negative pitch (about - 1 or 2 degrees) on approach. Most airliners have a positive pitch on approach, but the real CRJ does not.

Most simmers are accustomed to pulling the nose up 4 or 5 degrees to flare. The CRJ might “feel” like it is going to land on the nosewheel if you don’t do that, but it won’t - the nose strut is much shorter than the main gear struts. The flat landing attitude is something even r/w pilots have to get used to when transitioning to the CRJ.

On landing, I have good results slowly pulling the nose up to level (zero degrees pitch) at 50 feet, and smoothly pull the power levers to idle at the “30” call out. Hold the pitch at zero degrees, or at most +1 degrees, and the aircraft will settle in ground effect and touch down. 

In the sim version, it is necessary to hold some forward yoke pressure after touchdown until below about 90-80 knots. This is a limitation caused by the MSFS ground effect, which Asobo is working on refining. They have made good progress on improving it, but for now, just be prepared to hold some forward yoke pressure after initial touchdown.

I did my first full flight in the CRJ yesterday and while everything worked as supposed to, this was something I also instantly realized and it felt just wrong. I was exactly on my 134kts approach speed, disconnected the AP 500ft agl and when I flared at about 30-40ft, the plane just floated forever, then very gently touched down and the nosewheel remained airborne until about 80kts. So yes, without forward yoke, the landing seems to be utterly strange. For now, I can easily live with this limitiation, hopefully it will be fixed one day.

• Developer

Fortunately it is. At Vref for a landing weight of 28.000 kg or 62.000 lb on a 3 degree GS, you should be flying fully configured with 130 kts and ~650 fpm sink rate. Then the pitch should be horizontal and the plane would fly with 3 degree AoA.

in the flare you pull up to 3-4 degrees pitch to kill the descent and settle down as you loose speed from closing throttle

Vapp is above Vref and you can let the EFB calculate the Vapp and Vref. More data should be in the manuals and in the training flight.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, JRBarrett said:

5 degrees nose up pitch in flare is too much in either the real or simulated CRJ. The real aircraft lands very “flat” and actually has a negative pitch (about - 1 or 2 degrees) on approach. Most airliners have a positive pitch on approach, but the real CRJ does not.

Most simmers are accustomed to pulling the nose up 4 or 5 degrees to flare. The CRJ might “feel” like it is going to land on the nosewheel if you don’t do that, but it won’t - the nose strut is much shorter than the main gear struts. The flat landing attitude is something even r/w pilots have to get used to when transitioning to the CRJ.

On landing, I have good results slowly pulling the nose up to level (zero degrees pitch) at 50 feet, and smoothly pull the power levers to idle at the “30” call out. Hold the pitch at zero degrees, or at most +1 degrees, and the aircraft will settle in ground effect and touch down. 

In the sim version, it is necessary to hold some forward yoke pressure after touchdown until below about 90-80 knots. This is a limitation caused by the MSFS ground effect, which Asobo is working on refining. They have made good progress on improving it, but for now, just be prepared to hold some forward yoke pressure after initial touchdown.

This is true, although there are a couple of guys who have large flares, this is because they land well below Vref, the normal way to land a CRJ at Vref when approaching at Vapp results in, compared to an Airbus or Boeing, an extremely flat landing.

Archived