Flaps 45 lifts too much?

Hi,

Firstly I think the plane is getting less praise than it should. It's a masterpiece and could easily become one of the best addons overall across all sim platforms. You have done it VERY WELL. The systems, visuals and sounds are spot on. I'm sure the rest will be fixed in the near future.

Flying an approach I think Flaps 45 lifts you away from proper approach path too much. The last time I flew CRJ-900 full motion sim the flaps behaved similarily to what we're used to on other sim airliners. They don't have the aerodynamic power to lift you like a Cessna with max flaps, you feel the effect but not that remarkably.

Maybe it's all related to the weight issues (EFB not loading weights properly) so I will investigate further.

fwiw i have the same feeling, flaps 1-30 are not really noticable and then theres a distinct ballooning with flaps 45. doesnt feel very realistic to me

Yes, agreed there is a massive ballooning when you go from Flaps 30 to 45. On one of my first flights I was on approach with autopilot on, it was tracking LOC/GS perfectly, speed was right on at Vref+5 and all looking great when I went Flaps 45 and the airplane ballooned so much it started climbing. The autopilot it seemed couldn't cope so it just kept climbing away and I had to ditch the approach.
Now I'm prepared so I always disconnect and go manual before deploying Flaps 45 so I can be ready to counter with a massive nose down input to counteract. The airplane soon returns to a normal profile.

• Developer

The lift per stage is defined from reference flight data. I will check the ballooning. The transition from 30 to 45 should be slow and not snapping as you describe.

I also experience this, getting to grips with the inconsistent ILS approaches that force you down and then flaps 45 makes you balloon like crazy. 

• Developer

If I do a level flight at 160 kts and gear down/flaps 30 and then set Flaps 45, the AP controls the change from flaps lift to less then 50 ft altitude increase. That was considered as normal.

Hmm, I was also in a similar state to that on the ILS and as soon as I deployed flaps 45 it lifted me right off the GS and I was then far to high...definitely more than 50 ft. I’ll certainly give it another go over the weekend

1 hour ago, metzgergva said:

If I do a level flight at 160 kts and gear down/flaps 30 and then set Flaps 45, the AP controls the change from flaps lift to less then 50 ft altitude increase. That was considered as normal.

Good to hear it is working normally. So it sounds like people with the "issue" are deploying them to 45 when they are too fast by the sounds of it, or they don't know what to expect so aren't ready to counter the nose.

I didn't have any issues myself. I fly approaches manually and used forward pitch then trim to counteract the nose and it seemed pretty good and smooth to me. My real plane was nothing like a CRJ but the behaviour is similar.

The real aircraft does have a significant ballon when you go from 20 to 30 degrees of flap and a slightly smaller ballon from 30 to 45. However the SSCU (spoiler stabilizer control unit) automatically provides trim commands, aka auto trim, when flap settings are changed. When I'm hand flying during flap deployment I do put forward pressure on the yoke to control the ballon during flap deployment. So It might be overstated if the sim doesn't auto trim for you. But there is a significant deck angle change with flaps 30 and 45 on the real aircraft. So I would be hesitant to describe it as to much lift. Especially that the approach deck angle and power setting with full flaps is exactly what I use in the real aircraft. 79.5% N2. And the pitch at the horizon if not a degree below,

• Developer

The autotrim function is implemented for going to flaps 1-2-3, so up zo 20 degree as on the real plane. Going to 30 and 45 do not have an autotrim function.

A good guidance when to extend flaps is if your pitch in level flight goes above 4 degrees and on a GS above 1 degree.

Thanks for the help and guidance. Not saying that you’re wrong at all. Sometimes what’s right in the sim might “feel” wrong since you don’t sense it the same as in real. 

• Developer

Correct! In a real aircraft you have the sense if acceleration which is much more sensitive than visual impressions. So the countermovement on the yoke comes very naturally. In the sim we neet to look at VS and AOA to read the informtin and react upon. 

Archived