Very strong crosswind effect on rotation

I have noticed that on rotation, even relatively small crosswinds (eg. a crosswind component of 5-7kts) has a substantial lateral effect on the aircraft. It feels like a 35-40knot crosswind, the aircraft is almost immediately blown 50-100 feet to the side of the runway within a hundred feet of altitude gain in the climb. 

I can compensate to some degree but I notice two things:

1. it takes an inordinate amount of bank to manage back to runway extended centreline (greater than 20 degrees of roll).

2. while the crj is "blown" laterally, there is hardly any effect of nosing into the wind on the yaw axis.

When the wind is blowing straight down the runway there is no problem with lateral control but it does seem a very strong reaction of the aircraft compared to what I am used to.

This may be more of an msfs issue, I'm not sure but it feels like the aircraft is a c152 in those moments : )

This is a general bug of MSFS. I've already sent Asobo an e-mail to fix the rudder sensitivity and the ground behavior. Hopefully Aerosoft can get some pressure on Asobo to fix this issue quickly, because it is one of the issues which destroy the whole sim immersion and make it feel like an arcade game.

On 18.3.2021 at 14:27, thokle sagte:

This is a general bug of MSFS. I've already sent Asobo an e-mail to fix the rudder sensitivity and the ground behavior. Hopefully Aerosoft can get some pressure on Asobo to fix this issue quickly, because it is one of the issues which destroy the whole sim immersion and make it feel like an arcade game.

Yep exactly the same issue here. Every takeoff I do, I got this. This effect wants me to shut down MSFS immediately. It destroys everything.

I think Asobo has incorrectly coded how wind affects an airplane as it accelerates. It seems to have the reverse effect compared to real life with increased airspeed increasing the crosswind effects and WCA instead of decreasing the control inputs required. This is a sim issue not an Aerosoft issue though.

I have similar problem during cross wind landing. I'm using crab and kick technique. After touching mains, when I degrab I have absolutely no rudder authority to line up nose with centerline unless I drop front gear down and use NWS. I do not have this problem with other aircraft like WT CJ-4 or FBW 320 

Yes was in Modern....then switched back to Classic....and then to Modern and saved the settings!Problem is still there.I guess this is a Asobo bug....the Asobo Cessna Citation i flew in the past there was the same problem in windy conditions.

My CRJ rotates automatically when reaching VR without pulling my Honeycomb Yoke.

It is interesting, I've still not seen this.

If only one of you could create a video showing all your settings and approach with the issue happening I'm sure this would be a lot easier to resolve!

Give we can only guess. I had problems pivoting into wind when only my mains were down and I kept the nose in the air. So this was the weathercocking effect. The fix was to lower the nose instead of keeping it high which is more like flying a real jet anyway.

There is clearly quite a bit of confusion about winds in the sim regarding speed and direction. EG: Look at the windsock and the wind speed. Windsocks are calibrated (you can see it in the XML file) but the sock "limpness" does not match the calibration.

Now to the CRJ, If you are rotating early then your nose will be in the air but the mains on the ground for an excessive amount of time. That could cause you to weathercock into the wind given MSFS modeling.

So I think it might be a combination of three issues:

1. MSFS's excessive weathercocking due to the many wind speed/direction issues (maybe it is worse in the CRJ for some setup reason?)

2. Nose being high to early. IE: Early rotation.

3. Many airports always have massive crosswinds on their main runways. There is a reason the main runways point in a particular direction and it is not to make the crosswind as bad as possible!

Exactly the same problem. landing even with moderate crosswind is unpracticable . When main gear is on ground is imposible to use rudder to center the plane before the nose gear tauch the runway. The unique solution is to use ailerons which obviously can cause wing strike. Similarly, this happend on TO, All goes fine until rotation. To me, it seems clear that nose  steering allows to maintain center line, but rudder can not. No rudder authority at all.

Note: modern flight, rudder moves according to the rudder pedals  inputs 

On my T/O roll, I keep slight pressure downward on the yoke to hold the nose down until VR.  It has noticeably helped control the steering with rudder pedals.  My departures are significantly smoother with this.  Not sure if this fixes for you, but it does for me.  IMHO, this is probably done IRL with this A/C based on what I'm hearing on chatter.

This is the point. You are forced to have the nose down. Thus, when you have a moderate crosswind you end out  of the runway. I found the CRJ a wonderful work done by aerosoft,  but lack of rudder authority with moderate winds makes difficult to enjoy the experience.

Exactly these are the problems i have too....in calm wind conditions all is fine.With the Asobo aircrafts i had these problems too.I guess Asobo should rework the wind effects & Aerodynamics.

• Developer

The reason for this is that the wind on ground is suppressed strongly during the take-off roll but once you lift off it comes with immediate force. Asobo said their last Q&A session that they are working to improve x-wind development for take-off and landings.

So as conclusion, until Asobo modifies the flight model it will imposible to perform a correct land even with moderate crosswind, right? So, you as developers, are unable to fix this trantition between ground/air?

At the end of the day it seems that MSFS2020 still requires important modifications,

Thank you for your replies, I want to congratulate for your nice product, although more time will be needed to really enjoy the experience

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I can say as a professional pilot and flight instructor in multiple aircraft that the effects of wind on the takeoff and landing roll are simply wrong. There is an issue with the way the wind affects the aircraft as it accelerates that appears to be inverted compared with real life. This applies to all aircraft in the sim and not just the CRJ. Asobo will have to figure out what they did wrong and fix the sim before this will go away.

• Aerosoft
On 3/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, Jaime Carbajo said:

So as conclusion, until Asobo modifies the flight model it will imposible to perform a correct land even with moderate crosswind, right? So, you as developers, are unable to fix this trantition between ground/air?

To some degree, correct. 

Archived