TOD - Doesn't display? / Weight Issues with EFB?

Figured I could lump this into a single post to help out.

• The first issue I'm running into is the TOD indicator on the MFD. I've ensured VNAV is selected in the FMC to show my altitude restrictions. Unfortunately, each flight I've flown it never shows a TOD. Did a flight into KLGA tonight which has multiple restrictions. The altitude restrictions show up, but never the TOD. I've referenced vol.3 tutorial documentation and still am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• The second issue I'm running into seems to be with the weights. Using the EFB, I calculated my weights and verified everything was good. Departure, climb, and cruise all went well. On approach however, I noticed my aircraft appearing to have a pretty solid lean. So I referenced back to the EFB to check the performance and it has the dot shifted way off to the left. I noticed a few streamers with a similar issue this evening. I took a screenshot of what mine looked like. The approach had my angle way too steep, even with the correct flap settings/trim. Is something adjusting here (other than fuel) that's causing it to be off like this and show the dot way off to the left on the EFB?

Thanks for the help!

Please login to display this image.

Any open discontinuities on the legs page could prevent the TOD from showing. If you selected a STAR, the sim will automatically put a discontinuity between the last STAR waypoint and the first waypoint of the approach that will need to be closed up. (This is how the real FMS works as well). Depending on the type of approach you selected, and whether it uses a vector transition, there could also be a discontinuity after the (VECT)

Regarding the CG shift - did you change anything in the default MSFS loading menu (FUEL on the drop-down menu) at any point while in flight - or even just open it?  That may not be the source of the problem, but any inadvertent changes made in the default pax/cargo/fuel menu can adversely affect the flight model’s CG 

6 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Any open discontinuities on the legs page could prevent the TOD from showing. If you selected a STAR, the sim will automatically put a discontinuity between the last STAR waypoint and the first waypoint of the approach that will need to be closed up. (This is how the real FMS works as well). Depending on the type of approach you selected, and whether it uses a vector transition, there could also be a discontinuity after the (VECT)

Regarding the CG shift - did you change anything in the default MSFS loading menu (FUEL on the drop-down menu) at any point while in flight - or even just open it?  That may not be the source of the problem, but any inadvertent changes made in the default pax/cargo/fuel menu can adversely affect the flight model’s CG 

Thanks for the reply! No discontinuity in the flight plan that I could tell, but I’ll check a flight tomorrow when I get back to the house. Unrelated but maybe you can answer, I noticed after selecting the approach that I was assigned, the STAR seemed to repeat itself. I had to put myself in heading mode, clean up the flight plan, and then put myself in nav mode. Otherwise it’s like it wanted to start back over at the first fix in the STAR. I remember this was a common issue with the default aircraft, but thought this had been fixed?

regarding the change in the EFB, I only adjusted the settings in the EFB and didn’t change anything in the sim load menu. A few others I watched yesterday evening had the same issue and like me, also didn’t adjust anything. Was definitely odd.

2 hours ago, Keirtt said:

Thanks for the reply! No discontinuity in the flight plan that I could tell, but I’ll check a flight tomorrow when I get back to the house. Unrelated but maybe you can answer, I noticed after selecting the approach that I was assigned, the STAR seemed to repeat itself. I had to put myself in heading mode, clean up the flight plan, and then put myself in nav mode. Otherwise it’s like it wanted to start back over at the first fix in the STAR. I remember this was a common issue with the default aircraft, but thought this had been fixed?

regarding the change in the EFB, I only adjusted the settings in the EFB and didn’t change anything in the sim load menu. A few others I watched yesterday evening had the same issue and like me, also didn’t adjust anything. Was definitely odd.

Usually when entering a flight plan, I have found that best practice when entering a SID is to enter the runway first, when then displays only the SIDS, applicable to that runway - then I select the SID and execute. Then I enter the enroute portion and execute, and finally the STAR and approach, selecting the STAR first, and then the approach. Sometimes, if the enroute part of the flightplan terminates at the first waypoint of the STAR you will see the initial STAR waypoint twice with a discontinuity in between. In that case, you can just downselect the second occurrence of the waypoint to the scratchpad, copy it over the first occurrence and execute, which also clears the discontinuity. 

I don’t think I have ever seen the entire STAR repeat itself, but perhaps that might happen if you selected the approach before selecting the STAR.

The issue with default aircraft wanting to turn around and fly back to the first approach waypoint is unique to the default MSFS nav system which the CRJ does not use.

Before takeoff it is always a good idea to review your entire flight plan looking for discontinuities or other issues. The Dude’s video tutorial shows how to do this by putting the MFD into plan mode, and stepping through each waypoint with MFD ADV. You can see each segment of the route on the MFD this way to see if there are any gaps (discontinuities), or if the flight path doubles back on itself at any point.

If, while creating a flight plan before takeoff you make a mistake that gets it really messed up, you can easily reset it and start over. To do this, just re-enter just the departure airport identifier on the initial flight plan page and press EXEC. This will delete the entire plan.

Regarding the CG shift, I didn’t think that accessing the default loading menu would cause it, but did want to eliminate that as a possibility. That is something I never encountered in in several weeks of testing, so am not sure what might have caused it. 

Archived