Are the screens refresh rate affected by the sim settings?

Neucoas

As title says.

I change them between HIGH to MED to LOW and I don't see any difference at all. This might be one of the reasons many of us have not so great performance.

Thanks.

Reducing the Screen Refresh Rate might be helpful with optimizing the framerate. I have a 10700K but still when switching on the systems my fps go down from 50 to below 30, limited by mainthread, of course. This is even a little lower than the A320NX.

• Aerosoft
30 minutes ago, Abisag Tellmann said:

This is even a little lower than the A320NX.

Well, it has at least 5 times more code running, so it simply will have to be lower, at least 12% and on some systems, we do not know why, more.

• Aerosoft

If I might be so bold, people focus way too much on framerate. There is nobody who will see the difference between 20 fps and 30 fps in MSFS.  It is not a shooter where these things really matter. Every single animation takes at least half a second, so at 20 fps it will use 10 frames to show.  And, displaying the framerate counter drops the fps by about 5% on my system. 

You are not entirely wrong, of course. But I do see a difference between 25 and 30 fps and especially volatile fps changing freely from 25 to 30 can produce the sensation of micro stutters at least to me. So I like to cap the fps. It's easiest to cap with MSFS internal virtual sync to 30. But of course I do need to reach 30 fps for that. 🙂

Overclocking worked fine, btw, didn't know that my cpu would easily do 5.2 GHz on all cores without getting too hot. Now fps are capped at 30 and everything looks smooth.

I want to say that the CRJ code does not (or only on rare occasions) produces cpu usage spikes and a perfectly smooth experience is always possible!

On 3/18/2021 at 9:54 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

If I might be so bold, people focus way too much on framerate. There is nobody who will see the difference between 20 fps and 30 fps in MSFS.  It is not a shooter where these things really matter. Every single animation takes at least half a second, so at 20 fps it will use 10 frames to show.  And, displaying the framerate counter drops the fps by about 5% on my system. 

Sorry, but I and many actually notice the difference between 25 or 35/40. Is more than noticeable. It's incredible that with a 2021 next gen sim we are still discussing this topic.

So please, make the PDF/MDF refresh rate configurable, either by the in sim setting, the EFB or just a file. Give us the choice.

Thank you.

I would like to respectfully disagree here, the difference between 20/30/40 FPS is rather noticeable (at least for me). Having the ability to modify refresh rate would be nice if it's not too much work, having the option wouldn't hurt.

40 minutes ago, Swagbasket said:

I would like to respectfully disagree here, the difference between 20/30/40 FPS is rather noticeable (at least for me). Having the ability to modify refresh rate would be nice if it's not too much work, having the option wouldn't hurt.

Agreed, I remember payware aircraft for FSX and earlier had this functionality built into them as well (though I think you had to run a config tool outside the sim first).  I've been gaming on a Gsync monitor for a couple years now, but recently switched my main monitor to a larger but only Gsync compatible monitor which puts the bottom range at 43fps for it to kick in.  So when something is not in Gsync it's super noticeable to me now with jerky panning, movement, etc.  I even went so far as switching graphics settings in the sim to LOW preset temporarily and I was still under 40 on that with everything powered up at 3440x1440 (1440 ultrawide) on a 2080 Super FTW3 from EVGA.

• Developer
On 3/18/2021 at 12:39 AM, Neucoas said:

As title says.

I change them between HIGH to MED to LOW and I don't see any difference at all. This might be one of the reasons many of us have not so great performance.

Thanks.

No, they are not impacted by these settings. WASM modules don't have access to most of the sim settings at this time.

Can’t believe that the devs will say something as stupid as we won’t see a difference between 20 and 30 fps. No this is not a shooter and we don’t need 60 FPS.

but there is such a massive difference between 20 and 30 fps.

20= massiv lag and stutters.

30+ smooth and enjoyable.

most of uss have used flight sims for many years and the devs think they can talk to us like we are kids. And we pay them for it....

Guys I am running a 9700KF, 32 RAM, 2070 Super

My frames never drop below 30.  I use vsynch and high grapics setting except ultra on the clouds.  I run 2K and have zero issues.  No overclocking on either the CPU or the GPU. 

More importantly the sim is smooth no matter what aircraft I fly including the CRJ.

Since my system is not "top end" by today's standard and this i is not a FPS war game, maybe frames should not be the goal but a smooth flying sim.  30 is enough.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:54 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

People focus way too much on frame rate? Of course we do! It’s been a benchmark of flight simulator enjoyment as long as I can remember. 30 is way better than 20. Who is happy with 20? We’re asking for something that could help our frame rate, a setting at our discretion, and your response is to -support- 20 FPS and call us crazy?

13 hours ago, Neucoas said:

It's incredible that with a 2021 next gen sim we are still discussing this topic.

Not really. Machines are more powerful and we get more features and better visuals.

As far as FPS goes. Simmers have always been at the forefront of playing the FPS game rather than flying. Look at the amount of posts on all forums over the last 15-20 years that taught horrible "optimization" tips. I was too for a long time until I learned to turn the darn thing off. I only turn it on for troubleshooting now.

Is 25 FPS visually different to 40? Of course it is. Especially if you use TrackIr, that makes it a lot more noticeable.  I'm hoping when Asobo fixes the two know FPS bugs I'll get back my lost 15 FPS. But until they deploy those fixes I don't see the point in complaining to AeroSoft about it.

25 FPS in FSX, OMG, what a horror and to me at the time, completely unusable. MSFS is much smoother at lower FPS, though anything lower than 25 in MSFS I start to notice .In FSX it was 35. So, fortunately for me, I'm still pretty happy.

3 hours ago, Thx1137 said:

Is 25 FPS visually different to 40? Of course it is.

Anything below about 40 is noticeable to anyone using a Gsync "compatible" monitor with an Nvidia card because as soon as it hit that (on most models) the monitor kicks out of Gsync as you need an actual Gsync module to keep the sync going in low 20's.  It's a very noticeable "stutter" once the sim hits low 30's or below if you're looking around.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived