Instruments freeze and aircraft freezes

CRJ Pilot

I am seeing freezing problems when interacting with the FMC/MCDU. Especially when manually changing stars & choosing an arrival runway.
I often just start the CRJ on the runway, take off then once stabilised at cruise, enter a destination, and pick a runway and switch AP to NAV to the destination set in the FMC/MCDU.
Sometimes (but it seems like it happens all too frequently) while doing this the whole FMC/MCDU will freeze/stop functioning/responding and the whole AP & avionics system stops responding to my inputs too. For example, even disconnecting the AP with the break switch doesn’t work (the switch can be moved but doesn’t do anything), same goes for every other AP function/switch, unresponsive. The aircraft continues to fly on but with no inputs possible.
I end up having to quit / restart.
Tonight a new anomaly, but once more in the FMC/MCDU I picked an ILS approach and as soon as I hit the button to select it I got a CTD (a new first for me).
It does work fine most of the time but seems it can be a bit unstable using it this way.
You can probably reproduce it by trying the exact same thing manually setting a runway and star once airbourne, or if this works, then try changing the star and runway again, that is usually enough to get it to stop working for me.
I’m mainly flying the crj900, so can’t say it’s happening across all crjs.

22 hours ago, Alan Forsyth said:

I am seeing freezing problems when interacting with the FMC/MCDU. Especially when manually changing stars & choosing an arrival runway.
I often just start the CRJ on the runway, take off then once stabilised at cruise, enter a destination, and pick a runway and switch AP to NAV to the destination set in the FMC/MCDU.
Sometimes (but it seems like it happens all too frequently) while doing this the whole FMC/MCDU will freeze/stop functioning/responding and the whole AP & avionics system stops responding to my inputs too. For example, even disconnecting the AP with the break switch doesn’t work (the switch can be moved but doesn’t do anything), same goes for every other AP function/switch, unresponsive. The aircraft continues to fly on but with no inputs possible.
I end up having to quit / restart.
Tonight a new anomaly, but once more in the FMC/MCDU I picked an ILS approach and as soon as I hit the button to select it I got a CTD (a new first for me).
It does work fine most of the time but seems it can be a bit unstable using it this way.
You can probably reproduce it by trying the exact same thing manually setting a runway and star once airbourne, or if this works, then try changing the star and runway again, that is usually enough to get it to stop working for me.
I’m mainly flying the crj900, so can’t say it’s happening across all crjs.

I have exactly the same problems.

I tried to deactivate aviaServer, load the route from simbrief, but if I need to change something, and the MCDU says "is not on the database" I know the game is going to freeze, I can fly if the flight has two o three waypoint, and are all in the database.

This problem is know, and is there no response from aerosoft? these planes are so expensive...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Javier Lurquí said:

I have exactly the same problems.

I tried to deactivate aviaServer, load the route from simbrief, but if I need to change something, and the MCDU says "is not on the database" I know the game is going to freeze, I can fly if the flight has two o three waypoint, and are all in the database.

This problem is know, and is there no response from aerosoft? these planes are so expensive...

It's certainly a bit disheartening to find out that it's been a known issue since last year. The Proline modelling was a big marketing point for this aircraft too. I can still enjoy the CRJ, am flying it a lot, but the avionics hangs makes me not want to change too much in the MCDU, but playing around with things there is how you are supposed to learn to do things right?

• Upvote 2

Yes...I've had this problem.  Generally selecting approach, the aircraft input freezes and shortly later CTD.  I think it's related to specific approaches for an airport as I seem to get the same freeze and CTD if I repeat the same process.  My only work around to avoid frustration of CTD right before landing is to set the entire route at takeoff, including approach.  At least that way I'm assured I won't induce any CTD by inputs when preparing to land.  It just CTD at start of flight and I can restart and find a different approach that it likes better.

Yes, I'm surprised these issues have not yet been resolved.  Usually better quality from Aerosoft.

• Like 1

It's about my only complaint with the CRJ. O love flying it otherwise. I am just more used to contacting ATC/Tower closer to approach and finding out active runway then adjusting the STAR accordingly. So having a flightplan entered before I take off isn't what I currently do, but you are rightit does work that way. But isn't realistic? (Sorry, I'm not a pilot)

I usually put an approach in from the start, remove discontinuities & assume I am likely to have to change it . I also don't tend to delete discontinuities but copy the waypoint ( say, the start of the approach ) over any that come after the main plan, just generally feels safer ( and generally do that for every discontinuity anyway just to be sure ) I can take a guess at what the code is actually doing & if I'm right shouldn't be a terribly hard thing to fix, unless ti's a huge bowl of spaghetti. I try and avoid RNAV approaches, but the last few I've put in haven't caused any crashes ( even the RNP app I had to use as it was the only thing available ). I don't have coupled VNAV enabled though. Also, using current AIRAC from Navigraph.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

haven't caused any crashes

It's mainly avionics hangs that I see, only one crash to desktop. But interesting to hear about copying to remove discontinuities. I usually delete those. I just tried copying this morning and it works to overwrite discontinuities so I will continue with this method and see if it helps/improves the hangs. Thank you.

OK, I have clear reproducable steps to recreate the CRJ MCDU avionics hangs. Feel free to confirm.

FOR DEVS or anyone else interested in this avionics hangs in the CRJ bug :

Steps to reproduce MCDU / Avionics hang, freeze, CTD in CRJ (900 in my case), MSFS version 1.22.2.0, CRJ version 1.0.15

1. Spawn at EGPF runway 23 ready for takeoff, with no flight plan
  2. Set flaps, release brake, takeoff and start to climb
  3. Set V/S to set climb rate say 4.0, start climb & fly runway heading
  4. In MCDU -
  • select FPLN → DEST → EGKK → EXEC
  • select DEP/ARR → ARR → RNAV26L (DO NOT hit EXEC)
  • select CANCEL MOD
  • select NEXT PAGE
  • select ILS26 → *THIS IS WHERE AVIONICS SYSTEM FAILS EVERY TIME*

On 3 straight attempts I had the following-

Three times:
complete avionics fails, aircraft flies but no response from avionics including PFD1/2 displays that appear stuck, AP also frozen, can't fly aircraft/regain control

Once:
complete FS2020 crash to desktop (CTD) as soon as 'ILS26L' is selected, the button turns yellow and freezes just ahead of FS2020 crash.

This bug has happened to me often using the CRJ  this way. Always when in MCDU and always when changing destination arrival runways/stars/approaches. Not just at this airport or with this destination, but always when I depart with no flightplan or soemtimes when I try to change flightplan enroute.

EDIT: I just tried to do the same MCDU edits while  STATIC on the ground and the same hangs happens so you don't have to be airbourne for this to happen.

The steps above are very reproducible to cause the error for me. Avionics hangs every time. Can someone please advise? Do I need to submit a ticket? Do others want to confirm the same with the above steps first?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, KuntaKinte said:

FYI, the problem could have been triggered when you deleted the DISCONTINUITY. The FMS of the AS CRJ creates a "bad course line" or "ghost waypoint" when deleting the last entry of a route. It is not a specific waypoint but a course line to nowhere - in your case 359° and 3239 NM (see your video at 2:44). This is a bug that I have already reported to the AS Reps with this thread. In my experience, such a ghost waypoint has a corrupting effect on all subsequent entries.

Thanks for posting this; I had the whole thing freeze one me once over the weekend while I was fiddling with the FMS; I think I might have tried deleting a discontinuity because I was getting frustrated that I couldn't resolve it (user error), so this may have been it.

The FMS was also acting funny prior to that, though.  I was trying to put in an airway and a waypoint and it kept saying NOT ALLOWED.  It was also showing the distance between KSTL and KMCI as over 2300 miles (about 10x the actual distance), which I thought maybe I wasn't seeing a decimal, and then woke up and started acting right before freezing.  I had a half dozen flights, including the tutorial, without these issues, but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

• 1 month later...

I came across this freezing problem yesterday when on approach with the CRJ900 to ESSB (Orbx Stockholm Bromma). I had a flight plan with a pre programmed ILS approach which I had to change due to instructions from the ATC. When I pressed EXEC after changing ILS on the FMC everything frooze. I had to quit MSFS using the windows activity manager. No other input worked. 

Does anyone know if this issue had been solved in a recent update? I have both my CRJ and MSFS updated to the latest version.

Best regards

Jan

• 1 month later...

Just bought these planes a day ago and already experienced the same problem that many people are describing here. I was en-route to Valencia in Spain, and ATC gave me clearance for the MABUX 2C STAR. Unlucky me had already put in a STAR for the opposite side of the runway (RWY 12 / MABUX2D) and desperately tried to change it back to RWY 30 and the assigned MABUX 2C STAR. This eventually led to all systems of the aeroplane to freeze entirely. The plane itself was still moving, but I couldn't do anything at all. All buttons, sliders, axes were frozen.

There are theories that RNAV/RNP approaches are the issue here but as far as I'm concerned, I never selected any of these approaches since I use ILS whenever possible and both runways had ILS available.

Also, if playing around with the FMS mid-flight is the issue here, these planes are literally unusable since you are given SID/STARs by the ATC controller – and sometimes sent on an entirely different one last minute for whatever reason.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I too am having the issues described above. The plan flies great from takeoff, to cruise, to descent, but on approach when adding/changing approaches the instruments and plane exterior freezes. This is happening with ILS approaches as well. Sometimes I'm not able to even get to selecting an approach. It seems to be an FMS bug of some sort. I put in a support ticket.

This honestly just makes the planes unflyable. This has happened with the CRJ5 and CRJ7 for me. It's unfortunate to put in a couple hours to have to just quit the sim at the end of a flight.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here... i had to cancel a nice VATSIM flight...

Was cruising along nicely, then i realised there is no TOD shown. So i started to select another approach and remove duplicate waypoints that appeared in the FMS and suddenly, everything in the CRJ freezed. Sim was still running fine, no CTD, i could push every button in the cockpit, but it had no effect. Nothing was working anymore.
Back to the hangar AGAIN for this plane... what a shame... it really becomes frustrating...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sandro Vitalini said:

Was cruising along nicely, then i realised there is no TOD shown. So i started to select another approach and remove duplicate waypoints that appeared in the FMS and suddenly, everything in the CRJ freezed. Sim was still running fine, no CTD, i could push every button in the cockpit, but it had no effect. Nothing was working anymore.
Back to the hangar AGAIN for this plane... what a shame... it really becomes frustrating...

I had thought the recent patch helped this, I'll have to try the last example that was posted, again. How are you removing duplicate WPs btw? I always copy a succeeding waypoint over the one I'm trying to remove rather than deleting anything.

20 hours ago, Sandro Vitalini said:

Surely you're not seeing this every flight?  If you are, please post the steps as I don't think anyone has been able to thus far, it's only ever been a "sometimes it happens" issue.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Joe Markowski:

Surely you're not seeing this every flight?  If you are, please post the steps as I don't think anyone has been able to thus far, it's only ever been a "sometimes it happens" issue.

yes, agree, it happens sometimes. And as i was just wildly cleaning out the fms after assigning different approaches, i can not say what exactly caused the issue. 

One issue that leads to this, is for sure the problem that the fms adds approaches over approaches if changing them, and we have to clean them out manually. 

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Richard Dastardly:

I had thought the recent patch helped this, I'll have to try the last example that was posted, again. How are you removing duplicate WPs btw? I always copy a succeeding waypoint over the one I'm trying to remove rather than deleting anything.

Usually, i use the copy/override method too. But yesterday i had a big mess of multiple approaches in the fmc, so i started deleting waypoints, without EXECing them. I guess that was too much for it.

i tried to find out how to avoid the issue of having multiple of the same approach waypoints loaded in the fms, by deleting and adding new arrivals.

still, i dont accept „user error“ to be the reason. The system should be able to handle that without crashing.

4 minutes ago, Sandro Vitalini said:

Usually, i use the copy/override method too. But yesterday i had a big mess of multiple approaches in the fmc, so i started deleting waypoints, without EXECing them. I guess that was too much for it.

i tried to find out how to avoid the issue of having multiple of the same approach waypoints loaded in the fms, by deleting and adding new arrivals.

still, i dont accept „user error“ to be the reason. The system should be able to handle that without crashing.

There's no blame implied, it absolutely shouldn't crash - I'm just trying to establish what lead up to it so I can avoid doing it myself, if nothing else!

• Like 2

Am 29.6.2022 um 20:31 schrieb Richard Dastardly:

There's no blame implied, it absolutely shouldn't crash - I'm just trying to establish what lead up to it so I can avoid doing it myself, if nothing else!

no worries, the „user error“ wasnt pointed at you. I just wanted to avoid that someone is coming in and tell me that a real world pilot wouldnt go wild in the FMS as i was. :)

30 minutes ago, Calicrook said:

Any work around for this? I cant seem to get a flight in at all without it freezing when putting in my flight plan on the FMS

As mentioned above, if you've figured out how to do this every single time, post the steps here.  The vast majority of us only have it happen occasionally, which is still a pain, but without being able to reliably reproduce it that makes it 200x harder to fix.

Steps I did to do this were as follows:

Flight from KBFL to KDFW  cold and dark on the ramp,

after getting the APU started, started filling out the flight plan in the FMS. after that is all done, went to clear out a disco in the legs page, freezes at that, everytime I try to clear the disco

just tried again, when clearing the disco's or at least trying to, it freezes up the game.

• Thanks 2