Instruments freeze and aircraft freezes

CRJ Pilot

I still get freezes of the WASM when flying. I first thought it is a Navigraph issue. I can also add, that the freezes are only happen at bigger STARS/APPROACHES.

Happened at LPMA / BIGPI2X / RNAV Y 05

and

VQPR / SUBSU1 / RNAV Z 15

On 6/4/2021 at 12:28 PM, Jannis D. said:

I still get freezes of the WASM when flying. I first thought it is a Navigraph issue. I can also add, that the freezes are only happen at bigger STARS/APPROACHES.

Happened at LPMA / BIGPI2X / RNAV Y 05

and

VQPR / SUBSU1 / RNAV Z 15

RNAV Y 05 is an RNP/AR approach they have stated that there are issues loading RNP approaches...  Don't use an RNP approach....

RNAV Z 15 -- again another RNP approach that the CRJ would not even have in the FMS IRL...  The FMS can't deal with these legs as stated in other threads...

• Upvote 1

vor 15 Stunden , LesOReilly sagte:

RNAV Y 05 is an RNP/AR approach they have stated that there are issues loading RNP approaches...  Don't use an RNP approach....

RNAV Z 15 -- again another RNP approach that the CRJ would not even have in the FMS IRL...  The FMS can't deal with these legs as stated in other threads...

Okay, thanks. But that is strange. Why can I fly the RNP's then?

27 minutes ago, Jannis D. said:

Okay, thanks. But that is strange. Why can I fly the RNP's then?

That's just the way the CRJ FMS was designed. When the CRJ was built RNP approaches weren't a thing so they weren't designed into the FMS.

• Thanks 1

vor 4 Stunden , Chaxterium sagte:

That's just the way the CRJ FMS was designed. When the CRJ was built RNP approaches weren't a thing so they weren't designed into the FMS.

But a simcrash is not the solution :D

2 hours ago, Jannis D. said:

There are numerous threads on this ...  There is nothing in the Data that they can access that allows them to filter out the RNP approaches.  They have stated here that it causes and issue as it is not coded or able to calculate the legs...

On 6/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, Jannis D. said:

The “solution” is to filter all RNP approaches out of the FMS so they do not appear as selectable options on the ARR page, which is what is done in the real CRJ. We cannot currently do that because of the way the nav database is coded in the sim.

VQPR is a special case. Obviously in the sim, you can do anything you like with your aircraft, and I admit it is a fun and challenging approach - but no real CRJ could ever land there.

Even a standard Airbus A320 or 737NG cannot land at VQPR, and both of those aircraft types are fully capable of conducting most complex RNP/AR approaches.

There are only 5 individual Airbus A319s that can fly the Paro approaches - two owned by Bhutan Airlines, and three by Druk Air. All five have special FMS software and autopilot modifications specifically for the approaches at this one airport.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

RNP approach is a subset of RNAV approaches. So to answer your question, RNP approaches only that contain RF legs within them. Also the CRJ cannot fly the vertical profile of any RNAV approach automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm that this is still an issue. I had a flight plan from Brisbane (YBBN) to Townsville (YBTL) following the BIXAD1 - 19L departure. When it came to adding the arrival SPAR1A, the CRJ did not respond to any control manipulations. After resetting the flight I manually added waypoints and then encountered the NOT FOUND issue described previously when i added the GLA VOR. Also adding in other waypoints after that seemed to erase large chunks of the loaded departure. Here are full details:

msfs v 1.71.3.0

crj: 700 with QANTASLINK VH-YQV v1.2 livery by davidcherrie 

route: YBBN BIXAD1-19L GUDSO TAPET LOAFA GLA MURPH LINSU JEMMA TL SPAR1A-ILS01Z

addons: none

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Sam,

First of all which version of the CRJ you are using. I just tried this myself on version 1.0.5.0 and could program the approach with no problems. I can see that the approach has a DME arc which was problematic with previous versions but has been fixed since and should be working already on the latest version.

If you are using indeed 1.0.5.0, could you please take a short video of the preflight especially while programming the FMC so that we can see exactly what kind of inputs you are making so that we can try to the recreate it on our part and maybe that way be able to pinpoint the issue.

• 1 month later...

This happened to me because i was removing the route discontinuity after inserting the route, then selecting rnav approach. When i leave it be all is well.

This just started happening to me since the SU5 Hot fix update.. Downloaded the 1.06 update tonight for the CRJ and problem is still there.. Strange thing friend of mine I was flying with last week entered the same flight plan and his worked no issues. So I think this is more than just a SID/STAR data issue. As it's doing at now at every airport and every route I try to enter. Flight plans that work before SU5 hot fix now don't work since that update. 

• 1 month later...

Just had the FMS freeze up myself... simulator isnt paused. None of the buttons/switches in the aircraft appear to be doing anything, although I can still hear the clicking sounds

EGJJ KERY N862 BHD UN864 NITON UP17 NOKIN UP16 RIBEL UN601 INPIP EGPH

Tried to do ILS runway 24 INPI1E arrival

Am running FSUIPC aircraft version 1.0.6.0 - this was a fresh install because only just purchased the aircraft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sad to say I had this issue yesterday so it must still be ongoing. Using 1.0.11.0 and as I was doing a test flight with a random flight plan (departure/destination being 6k miles away), I tried to set a direct route to the nearest airport. Suddenly all instruments froze, no button or lever or knob would make any difference to the aircraft but the aircraft itself kept flying happily. Since I'm very new to the CRJ I had to google this issue and I found this thread. I can only assume it's not very easy to replicate and can happen because of a number of different reasons. For what's worth it at the time I was using spad.next, but no other external apps. Although I suspect the issue isn't related to that. It all happened when I started messing with DIR INTC options.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the problem occurs all the time. Just enter the departure airport, then add the SID. Add arrival airport with STAR, then try to remove any route point. The entire simulator freezes. There are sounds but no movement can be made. The problem has not been fixed so far. Is Aerosoft working on this ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, nicoz0 said:

Unfortunately, the problem occurs all the time. Just enter the departure airport, then add the SID. Add arrival airport with STAR, then try to remove any route point. The entire simulator freezes. There are sounds but no movement can be made. The problem has not been fixed so far. Is Aerosoft working on this ??

I experience the exact same issue, kind of weird that I can't even plan a flight properly... After trying to select RNAV05 everything becomes unresponsive, and I basically have to start a new flight.. the FMS just stops working. I am using v1.0.15.0, which I assume is the latest.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 1

I haven't ever had this issue until recently. Flying KDFW-KTYR, entering the ILS 04 arrival had my instruments and sound lock up (note, this was after a previous flight from KLRD-KDFW). The aircraft still functioned as a barebones aircraft, e.g. I could select flaps and was able to keep thrust and land. The second flight from KTYR-KDFW went uneventful (after a restart), then I continued on from KDFW-KSWO, in which when selecting the RNAV 36, it locked up again. For my two instances, which have never happened before, it was on my second flight of that session. I've flown up to four or five legs before without this happening but for some reason it has been more recently. It may be coincidental that these are happening on my second leg but it seems it may be a little more than that. On these flights I loaded the flight from a simbrief generated .flp file. I'm also thinking it may be the fact that I have deleted most of the waypoints to manually input them as the departures I ran were not actual 'preloaded' departures but points that needed to manually input to fly. These departures were the TEX1 and the GAR1.

UPDATE: I made a video of me recreating the issue I was specifically having using the same KDFW-KTYR flight. This was after a fresh restart of the simulator so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Sorry in advance for the zoomed in aspect as I haven't changed my resolution on my recording software for my new monitor. Finally, I mistakenly keep calling it an 'arrival' when it is an approach that I am selecting. I also just want to say that it's entirely possible that I am using the FMC incorrectly, leading to this crash. I'm not a trained pilot in the systems of the CRJ, only having flown it about 200 hours in the sim.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this happen to me today in the CRJ900. Recreated this bug multiple times. Tried to load an approach and all the avionics freeze. Plane is still flying. But the PFD, MFD, FMS screens are frozen. Thrust levers stop moving in the sim.

Using the Aerosoft One version. No FSUIPC.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

@CoffeeClay  FYI, the problem could have been triggered when you deleted the DISCONTINUITY. The FMS of the AS CRJ creates a "bad course line" or "ghost waypoint" when deleting the last entry of a route. It is not a specific waypoint but a course line to nowhere - in your case 359° and 3239 NM (see your video at 2:44). This is a bug that I have already reported to the AS Reps with this thread. In my experience, such a ghost waypoint has a corrupting effect on all subsequent entries.

• Like 1