Problems entering direct waypoints into flight plan

Preamble: 1. I've watch the Dude's video on programming the FMS. 2. I've read the FMS documentation PDF.

Goal: Enter into the FMS a flight plan similar to the one created by FS2020, which has a number of direct waypoints.

MSFS Plan: KCLT - KIAD, departing RW36C via KRITR5, transition FILDS, arriving RW19C via COATT5, transition FAK. A number of direct waypoints between FILDS and FAK: LYH LOSEC CONCO VOUCH SHEPS CRUMB.

1. Entered the basic flight plan into the FMS - Origin, Destination, departure runway, SID, STAR, transition waypoints

2. Went to the Legs page and cleaned up discontinuities. There was one oddity in which it placed the JDEAN waypoint (which precedes FILDS in that direction) AFTER FILDS, deleted it as it's close enough I don't care.

3. Decided to start entering waypoints via the Legs page per the documentation - enter the name of the waypoint in the scratch pad, press the LSK line button of the waypoint, above which you want the waypoint inserted - so if the Legs read FILDS -> FAK, and I want to insert LYH between them, I enter LYH, then press the LSK for FAK.

Outcome: LYH is not inserted, and the waypoint I clicked is removed. 

I'm not flying airways here, so the Dude's video, while informative did not seem to apply, so I relied on page 6-1-53 of Vol6_FMS.pdf. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Additional detail to note: 

I am not trying to import an MSFS flight plan. I know that is not available at this time. I'm trying to manually enter waypoints that the MSFS flight planner created. Also, I verified the existence of each waypoint in Navigraph prior to entry, so I know that they are valid, and not something proprietary to Asobo.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Try to use the FPL page and insert all the waypoints on the right side like a list. The left side should fill up with DIRECT automatically between each waypoint.

15 hours ago, Secondator said:

Try to use the FPL page and insert all the waypoints on the right side like a list. The left side should fill up with DIRECT automatically between each waypoint.

I did have some luck with that, thank you. I've run into a different issue with that. Say that Navigraph constructs a plan with something like the following: ... J182 KIRKE J182 RASCL J182 ICT J21 IRW ...

what's happening to me now is that I can enter J182 KIRKE properly. Then, when I enter J182 RASCL, it clears the KIRKE off the previous line, leaving J182. I have to re-enter KIRKE. This happens for each subsequent waypoint on the same airway. When I switch to a new airway, like J21 IRW, it does not clear the previous waypoint.

Is this designed behavior, to "compress" adjacent waypoints on an airway?

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is by design. The airway on includes all the waypoints up to the waypoint on the right. So you just have to enter the airway and the last waypoint you want on that airway. In this case J182 ICT, then enter next row J21 and whatever is the last waypoint on J21 airway.

You can confirm that all the waypoints are inserted from the LEGS page.

This is also explained on the Vol3_Tutorial manual that I highly recommend you to take a look into. Page 39 is where this exact step is mentioned.

Archived