Unable to climb?

When you cycled the spoilers, we're the spoilers deployed visually on the external view of the airplane as well? Or were they "deployed" but hidden - i.e., do you think the spoilers are deploying with a hidden effect without being reflected in the model?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue may be as simple as hitting escape to pause the sim. I had two attempts at flight today where the aircraft wouldn't climb. In both cases, I had to try to pause the sim in the middle of getting set up because I had something come up. Finally, I got some uninterrupted time and repeated all of the same processes except that I didn't ever hit escape. That flight proceeded with no problems. Hitting escape seems to do bad things right now.  @dihedral noted a "stealth" speed brake deployment. My guess is that this happens when pressing escape. That would be consistent with the behavior I've seen in other aircraft. Coming out of escape pause seems to deploy full flaps and full speed brakes (in aircraft that have them). In the CRJ I was seeing full flaps deploy, but not speed brakes (neither in the cockpit nor in the external view), so I assumed that it wasn't happening. However, the inability to climb behavior would make sense then if  full speed brakes were actually deployed but the animations weren't happening for some reason.

1 hour ago, geoffda said:

I think the issue may be as simple as hitting escape to pause the sim. I had two attempts at flight today where the aircraft wouldn't climb. In both cases, I had to try to pause the sim in the middle of getting set up because I had something come up. Finally, I got some uninterrupted time and repeated all of the same processes except that I didn't ever hit escape. That flight proceeded with no problems. Hitting escape seems to do bad things right now.  @dihedral noted a "stealth" speed brake deployment. My guess is that this happens when pressing escape. That would be consistent with the behavior I've seen in other aircraft. Coming out of escape pause seems to deploy full flaps and full speed brakes (in aircraft that have them). In the CRJ I was seeing full flaps deploy, but not speed brakes (neither in the cockpit nor in the external view), so I assumed that it wasn't happening. However, the inability to climb behavior would make sense then if  full speed brakes were actually deployed but the animations weren't happening for some reason.

Glad to see there are two of us with the similar pause/unpause experience. Since I posted last, I have had the "no climb" issue again. I was able to get climb going again with one of - or some combination of the following. I wish I could say for sure what the order was but I can't. I'm not implying that there is an order. One alone or it may take a few of these to work.

Here are the things that have worked:

-The spoiler recycle using keyboard binding - has worked once but only once. (could be related to the pausing of sim previously in that session)

-Pausing / unpausing the sim via ESC key. Worked at least 3 times in as many days. (this may be a cycle that gets started with the first pause as @geoffda refers to above)

-Changing the weather from whatever current mode is to clear and back (which had worked at least 3-4 times) Don't give up after first attempt - try another WX preset(s).

The above may sound a bit like voodoo but I can tell you I fly this jet a ton and I can say that I'm fairly confident that if and when the "no climb" bug hits, I can get it back to the normal state.

So if I hit pause to change something on the settings etc when I unpause I find the flaps go out to max. Maybe to do with my TCA addon, not sure. Anyway, I can see this and I can quickly get them in before there is a problem. The problem is, I think the spoilers are going out too but are just not showing like the flaps. No warnings and no physical movement of the lever unlike the flaps. I moved the spoiler lever slightly aft to extend and quickly back to retract and the aircraft regained stability. Will monitor to see if I end up with this issue again but I think this could be it for me. 

I have also experience the above issues, for me its after pausing the sim... However interestingly once I toggle the weather it seems to fix the problem!

Edit: Just wanted to add, it seems to not be an issue unless I'm above FL340.

It seems that the spoilers are extended in an invisible manner. Recycling them, solved the issue vor me. I guess this will also solve the problem while landing to keep up the speed. 

There seems to be a similar issue with the squawk code. Beeing set right, but not recognized to be on. 

4 hours ago, metzgergva said:

Please see:

This issue has nothing to do with icing. It is the combination of the sim bug where ESC is triggering full flap and speed brake deployment and the speed brake deployment not being shown visibly in the CRJ when this occurs. IOW, the speed brakes are out, but the pilot has no way of knowing that because the lever is up and external view does not show the speed brakes as having been deployed. Reproducing the issue is easy. Just hit ESC prior to taking off. Hit ESC to return to the game. Notice that you won't get a Takeoff Config OK notice in the ECAM, but the master caution/master warning will be off and there will be no warning messages in the ECAM, even if you press CAS. Go ahead and take off. You will be able to do it, but the plane will adopt a nose up pitch, will not climb, and will not accelerate, even at max thrust. You can also see this at any other stage of flight. After pressing ESC and then returning to the game, the "stealth" speed brakes will be fully extended and the plane will behave accordingly: it won't climb, it will slow and not accelerate, and it will drop like a brick with reduced throttle settings.

4 hours ago, metzgergva said:

Please see:

Aware of that but thank you! This is entirely different. I am flying right now with clear skies (for testing) and it's the second flight of this booting of the sim which does mean there was spoiler deployment on landing the first flight. Departed second airport, initial climb was standard and then she started to level off around 14k. I waited for a few minutes and no change. I hit ESC, waited less than 30 seconds, hit ESC again to get back into the sim and she took off climbing again at a standard rate. Not making this stuff up... As I've posted above, this workaround has worked for me now 6+ times in addition to recycling the spoilers and changing weather modes as I also posted above.

Ah. It looks like the issue is only going to happen to those of us using the Thrustmaster  Airbus TCA Throttle Quadrant. By default the flaps and spoilers are bound to an axis. See: Flaps/Spoilers after pausing Game - Bugs & Issues / Aircraft Systems - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums. Looks like removing the binding as per the post will solve the problem once and for all.

19 hours ago, nettoon said:

It seems that the spoilers are extended in an invisible manner. Recycling them,

That really sounds like yet another device binding conflict. If it was just "spoilers look off but they are on" as a bug surely there would be many more posts. 

I'd be looking for either multiple axis assignments or and always-on type switch.

1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

That really sounds like yet another device binding conflict. If it was just "spoilers look off but they are on" as a bug surely there would be many more posts. 

I'd be looking for either multiple axis assignments or and always-on type switch.

I used to have a similar issue with the FBW A32NX mod but they seemed to have patched it in one of their updates. The spoilers were not invisibly going out however.

8 hours ago, geoffda said:

Ah. It looks like the issue is only going to happen to those of us using the Thrustmaster  Airbus TCA Throttle Quadrant. By default the flaps and spoilers are bound to an axis. See: Flaps/Spoilers after pausing Game - Bugs & Issues / Aircraft Systems - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums. Looks like removing the binding as per the post will solve the problem once and for all.

Nope. Using Saitek/Logitech throttle quadrant.

1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

Confirmed no multiple axis assignments.

What I will be trying is deleting the single instance of spoiler axis, FWIW...

3 minutes ago, dihedral said:

Yeah, when all else fails take a stab in the dark. What else is there to do?

Make sure you delete *all* spoiler assignments! Then start from there!

Fun isn't it 😉 There is light at the end of the tunnel though. For me it was sunlight, hopefully for you it isn't a train 🙂

• Developer
2 hours ago, dihedral said:

You should not use any axis for spoiler deployment. Just use the lever in the cockpit.

17 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

You should not use any axis for spoiler deployment. Just use the lever in the cockpit.

With spoilers set to AUTO, should the cockpit spoiler lever move in agreement with the external model upon landing spoiler deployment as one would expect? 

• Developer

The lever in the cockpit is only for the flight spoilers.

For the ground spoiler (also called ground lift dumpers) there are the switches on the pedestal ARMED for automatic deployment when touchdown (;condition thrust lever in idle and weight on the suspension, OFF and ON. later is for testing while you taxi out.

This will probably be my last post regarding this topic but there IS an issue and I'm convinced it is in some way connected to the spoiler. I have removed the spoiler axis from my controls as suggested and have been using ONLY the cockpit lever controlled by mouse (in flight) and have 4-5 flights with no issue climbing. Most flights were a "second or third flight" meaning that there was automatic spoiler deployment on landing prior to taking off again on another flight. I just landed my first flight and can confirm the spoiler auto-deployment worked upon landing and that they did visually appear to stow. I departed on my second flight set my cruise altitude and climbing through 3k I engaged AP Speed and HDG as usual. At this point she leveled off and yet did not increase speed with the same power setting which should have happened. So, I resorted to my usual list of workarounds. Hitting ESC and then going back into the sim did not work. Manually moving the mouse back to engage flight spoilers did nothing. But what did work and as a last resort was to hit the keyboard command for spoilers "/" which did pull the lever all the way back and she instantly started a 3000-4000 fpm climb without losing airspeed. So this all sounds incredibly far fetched but I left the lever all the way back. checked visually and did see the spoilers deployed and continued up to FL360 at 290/M.75. And I will finish this flight with the spoiler lever all the way back and deployed.

Comments? 

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Hello people!
I joined the forum a while ago because I had the same problem as you.
The plane refused to climb more than FL270.
However after some tests, I noticed that the problem is not the ice layer or anything like that.
Apparently, when you turn on the Knob WINGS of the ant-ice in climb, the aircraft has its performance impaired. 
Another very important thing is the fact that VS when used in climb instead of SPEED, it cannot maintain the speed no matter how much you decrease the angle of attack.
These 2 factors hindered me in the operation of the aircraft, I don't know if this is something wrong or if it behaves this way.
After I did not turn on the ANT-ICE - WING and started to lift the aircraft with only the SPEED of the autopilot, I had no more problems
Hope this helps!

On 3/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, metzgergva said:

We have four reasons for not flying right:

1. Using LEGACY versus MODERN flight model => chnage to MODERN

2. Weather with icing condition which in MSFS is only putting way too much weight onto the aircraft =>switch to ICING only VISUAL effect

3. Incorrect loading from EFB to Sim - sometimes a double click helps

4. The Cog slider is fulle to the left => put it fully to the RIGHT (35%)

Tried all of these the issue still persists once getting up to 20,000ft from KDEN to KPDX, A/I is on, I even turn the A/P off and manually fly and its difficult to maintain speed. Trim is all over the place.

Let's face it, there is a bug between icing, weight/balance and either of these not communicating to the simulator and back. Keep in mind I am vastly ignorant. But judging by the various amounts of people endorsing the same issues on avsim, msfs forums etc...

Icing on since flight started doesn't help.

However, flying low altitude short hops near tropical islands produce hardly any of these problems until climbing higher than 8000feet. :)

On 3/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, chili said:

I've had the same problem in most of the flights I've tried with the CRJ.  Even with the same load and distribution, it seemed to kick in at different altitudes.

Just a follow up to this, reading some of the advice and using SPEED mode to climb has resolved this for me, I've not come across the problem since.  However, getting up to the higher altitudes is a bit of a slow struggle with even a moderately loaded aircraft but I'm guessing that is expected.   

I am having this issue too. When I pause with escape the plane's performance is massively reduced. Like I have full flaps on. I cannot climb higher than FL200 even at max power. This only happens after pausing the sim with the escape key. I cannot figure out what is causing it, I don't see any flaps, spoilers, gear deployed. Also no rudder/aileron trim. I tried different weather settings and CG. Nothing helped. I also tried with and without anti-ice, no difference.

Archived