Unable to climb?

5 hours ago, oisk said:

I am having this issue too. When I pause with escape the plane's performance is massively reduced. Like I have full flaps on. I cannot climb higher than FL200 even at max power. This only happens after pausing the sim with the escape key. I cannot figure out what is causing it, I don't see any flaps, spoilers, gear deployed. Also no rudder/aileron trim. I tried different weather settings and CG. Nothing helped. I also tried with and without anti-ice, no difference.

Was it the first flight after starting the sim or was it after a previous landing? Do me a favor and humor me - if when that happens again, hit the keyboard command for spoilers which I believe defaults to the "/" key. They should deploy in external view and the spoiler lever on the pedestal should go full aft. Does this help or cure the "no climb" condition? If not, maybe recycle it a few times. Also, do not have ANY controller axis bound to the spoiler axis and only use the mouse for in-flight spoiler use (other than the example above as a test).

Cheers,

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far it seems people are saying are having an issue climbing with VS active. But there are plenty of posts from real pilots and others saying not to use VS until above 30,000 feet (I think that was the altitude, it is high at any rate) or on descent. That Speed mode is the one that should be used. So if you do what the pilots say you should do does it still not climb?

VS is OK at any time in aircraft with an auto-throttle. We don't.

I've certainly had no issues but I'm following the advice on when each mode should be used.

I just tried again - this time I disconnected my throttle quadrant and used the mouse to control throttle.

I started a climb to FL390 using TOGA power in speed mode at Mach 0.77. At FL340 I was achieving about 800ft per minute, a good rate of climb.

I hit escape to pause and then I unpause by pressing resume - immediately I start losing speed and altitude, without changing any settings. The plane continues to drop, I can only slow the loss of altitude by going to max power, but still I cannot climb.

This time, the flaps and spoilers did not deploy - so I guess the deployment of flaps and spoilers was related to the throttle quadrant.

There is defintely something going on with pause.....

1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

Which pause? Active pause has always had issues so I wouldn't be surprised there. But normal pause always seems OK for me.

Like I wrote - escape key. Not active pause.

8 hours ago, Thx1137 said:

So far it seems people are saying are having an issue climbing with VS active. But there are plenty of posts from real pilots and others saying not to use VS until above 30,000 feet (I think that was the altitude, it is high at any rate) or on descent. That Speed mode is the one that should be used. So if you do what the pilots say you should do does it still not climb?

100% of my approximate 8-10 instances of "no climb" issues happened while in Speed or FLC mode, not VS. FWIW

3 hours ago, oisk said:

I hit escape to pause and then I unpause by pressing resume - immediately I start losing speed and altitude, without changing any settings. The plane continues to drop, I can only slow the loss of altitude by going to max power, but still I cannot climb.

Did you try my suggestion of deploying or recycling the spoilers with the default "/" key?

9 minutes ago, dihedral said:

100% of my approximate 8-10 instances of "no climb" issues happened while in Speed or FLC mode, not VS. FWIW

What do you mean by FLC mode? The CRJ doesn't have a Flight Level Change mode. 

13 minutes ago, Chaxterium said:

What do you mean by FLC mode? The CRJ doesn't have a Flight Level Change mode. 

It doesn't by that name but speed mode is the same in principle. In speed mode just like FLC the jet pitches to maintain the speed set given the current power setting/output.

1 minute ago, dihedral said:

It doesn't by that name but speed mode is the same in principle. In speed mode just like FLC the jet pitches to maintain the speed set given the current power setting/output.

Yeah I understand that but you mentioned SPD mode and FLC as separate things which is why I asked. Unless I just read it incorrectly. 

Just now, Chaxterium said:

Yeah I understand that but you mentioned SPD mode and FLC as separate things which is why I asked. Unless I just read it incorrectly. 

I could/should have said Speed aka FLC or not mentioned FLC at all, sorry for the confusion. But this issue is more than the jet not pitching for the anticipated climb rate so I tend to discount the VS argument - there is a drag component happening. The fact that I can successfully get back onto the correct climb profile by trying various workarounds, says it's a bug. In my last post I was able to climb and accelerate normally again by deploying the spoilers via the "/" key which I believe really just stowed them despite the lever showing full deployment and the spoilers up on the wings.  In my opinion something triggers the jet into an "altered state" that is not apparent to the user. I believe there is merit in what many users when they've hit pause via the ESC key - this has happened to me as well but what's tricky is that that's not the only trigger. The last flight that I had an issue with I made sure I did not use ESC or active pause and it still happened. 

I'd really like to hear Aerosoft explain not only why the jet does this but why by me hitting the "/" did the jet respond instantly and resume the normal climb profile and at the correct speed.   

• Developer

For climbing to Altitude, SPD mode is the preferred mode as it avoids that the aircraft would climb more than excess power is available to do so.

Yet you can climb in VS mode, you just need to have the levers in the CLB detent to assure the appropriate power and manage your desired climb speed by not asking more VS than the aircraft can deliver.

Climb speed profiles range from 250/0.74 to 290/0.78. 

So I just tried a flight in the CRJ550. I climbed up to FL400 with no issues. It was a rocket ship the entire way up. I hit ESC several times and no issues. I had the cowl anti-ice on for the entire climb.

Has this issue only been occurring with the 700?

Here are a couple screenshots. Maybe I didn't replicate things well enough.

Disregard the reversers still being armed. Just too lazy to disarm them.

Please login to display this image.

46 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Are you sure you are not simply managing speed incorrectly?

completely sure.

Max power, in a rapid descent and still the speed dropping.

Without spoiler, flaps, gear deployed.

I just tried again to recreate this, to try the "/" key - but it did not happen just now, even though it happened earlier today. I'll try again tomorrow.

56 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

The speed control via pitch has a bit of wider margin to avoid constant pitching corrections. The deviation you see I consider as within limits.

First of all, I love this plane, it's a fantastic product and a really enjoy using it. Zero regrets with my purchase (you guys have I'm have worked hard on it, so I wanted to say this).

This really looks like a bug. When the aircraft is in a steady climb without any issues, if I hit pause (escape key) the then unpause, the aircraft IMMEDIATELY begins to lose altitude and speed without any change to settings whatsoever. It's not related to speed control or VS or speed mode. The change is sudden and dramatic.  If I know how to make of a video of it I would.

I had the issue twice yesterday, when I tried a third time to recreate it, it did not happen.

8 hours ago, metzgergva said:

The speed control via pitch has a bit of wider margin to avoid constant pitching corrections. The deviation you see I consider as within limits.

Sorry, but it is constantly over the speed and never under it, if it was an issue of margins it would be either way with the desired speed in the middle of the range. It would also fluctuate, rather than stay constant at a speed above the set CLB speed. All the evidence points to a bug.

Again in a flight now,

This is far too much above the set speed to be a margin, it is a bug that requires fixing. 

Best

• Developer
7 hours ago, oisk said:

First of all, I love this plane, it's a fantastic product and a really enjoy using it. Zero regrets with my purchase (you guys have I'm have worked hard on it, so I wanted to say this).

This really looks like a bug. When the aircraft is in a steady climb without any issues, if I hit pause (escape key) the then unpause, the aircraft IMMEDIATELY begins to lose altitude and speed without any change to settings whatsoever. It's not related to speed control or VS or speed mode. The change is sudden and dramatic.  If I know how to make of a video of it I would.

I had the issue twice yesterday, when I tried a third time to recreate it, it did not happen.

Unfortunately the ESC pause is doing all kinds of things to the aircraft as systems are still running. Especially specifically designed flight controls like the spoilers get extended in the background. We have identified the issue and look for a solution. 

10 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

Unfortunately the ESC pause is doing all kinds of things to the aircraft as systems are still running. Especially specifically designed flight controls like the spoilers get extended in the background. We have identified the issue and look for a solution. 

Now that ESC is officially acknowledged to be an issue, I believe you will also need identify other trigger(s). As I posted above: " In my opinion something triggers the jet into an "altered state" that is not apparent to the user. I believe there is merit in what many users say when they've hit pause via the ESC key - this has happened to me as well but what's tricky is that that's not the only trigger. The last flight that I had an issue with, I made sure I did not use ESC or active pause and it still happened"

I don't believe I've had the issue on a first flight - this may be important. A second flight inherits automatic ground spoiler deployment (if selected) which may or may not be a factor. But we know that the stowing of spoilers may in fact not be happening "in the background" despite the visible evidence showing stowed.  It would be helpful that when people report this issue that they indicate if it was a first flight or later flights.

2 hours ago, metzgergva said:

Fantastic - thank you!

On 3/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, dihedral said:

Well, that's two of us with the exact same issue and workaround. I've posted frequently in the thread mentioned by @mopperle regarding "phantom spoiler deployment" and my various other hacks to rectify the situ. 

The above is my reply to another user @nettoon in another thread regarding the inability to climb who was able to get the jet back to properly climbing and accelerating in a climb by using the "/" key to cycle the spoilers - just as I have been posting about. 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:33 PM, dihedral said:

Now that ESC is officially acknowledged to be an issue, I believe you will also need identify other trigger(s). As I posted above: " In my opinion something triggers the jet into an "altered state" that is not apparent to the user. I believe there is merit in what many users say when they've hit pause via the ESC key - this has happened to me as well but what's tricky is that that's not the only trigger. The last flight that I had an issue with, I made sure I did not use ESC or active pause and it still happened"

I don't believe I've had the issue on a first flight - this may be important. A second flight inherits automatic ground spoiler deployment (if selected) which may or may not be a factor. But we know that the stowing of spoilers may in fact not be happening "in the background" despite the visible evidence showing stowed.  It would be helpful that when people report this issue that they indicate if it was a first flight or later flights.

The above is also a recent post by me. The second paragraph is most pertinent to the following regarding my flight today:

3/30/21 Flight - Once again I encountered a failure to climb and accelerate properly this time departing KASE. Now, that airport is 7,838' so one might expect some performance loss on departure. In my departure attempt I was able to take off and maintain 180kts. and approx. 800-900 FPM through 10,000' - but that's all. So here again is the same situ I've had 8 or 10 times now and I did what has worked previously. I selected spoilers by hitting the "/" key. Just as many times before, as soon and the lever went back the jet perked up and started to climb and accelerate briskly and as one would expect given the conditions and stage of flight. I left the lever in full deployment for the balance of the flight because when I tried to "stow" them with the "/" key, the jet would immediately slow and level off - see a pattern here?

So why bring this up again? I bring it up again as this was the second flight of the day without restarting the sim. In my opinion the spoilers had not REALLY stowed from the previous flight when the ONLY time flight or ground spoilers were used by me was during the auto-deployment function upon landing. The "unable to climb" issue was not triggered by using ESC to pause, or by changing weather within the menu or anything else. And once again the "/" key fix worked.

This is not icing. This is not A/I usage. This is not having a controller axis assigned to spoiler deployment because I don't. And I do not believe that this is improper weight and balance as I only refueled the jet for the second flight and confirmed correct qty. was sent via the EFB. The instant @nettoonand I hit the "/" spoiler key, the jet was back in normal mode of operation in the climb. This is a case where the spoilers are not actually stowing. This may or may not be triggered by auto-deployment but in my cases I believe it is as I have this issue on the second flight.

Comments?

Archived