Any Chance of a Tutorial for Flying the Twin Otter ?

GabethePilot

• 2 months later...
Yes I would second that. A tute flight on the KLN-90B would also be welcomed.

I "third" that ;-)

Searching a while in the internet for a real-world manual, I didn't find much.

Cheers,

Emacs

John Loehr, who did many of the flight model tweaks in the latest updates, and I have discussed doing something like that and I'll try to get back to work on it, either as a post here or something downloadable if Mathijs would want it.

Jarn's new free sim magazine has an article I helped with on the Twin Otter available in his first issue. Simming La Vida Loca! I discuss some tutorial type stuff on flying the Otter in there. Other good stuff in his mag too. :D

cheers,

steve :)

• Aerosoft
John Loehr, who did many of the flight model tweaks in the latest updates, and I have discussed doing something like that and I'll try to get back to work on it, either as a post here or something downloadable if Mathijs would want it.

Jarn's new free sim magazine has an article I helped with on the Twin Otter available in his first issue. Simming La Vida Loca! I discuss some tutorial type stuff on flying the Otter in there. Other good stuff in his mag too. :D

cheers,

Sound like a great idea, time is lacking for me at this moment to start on it. But I'll send out some free software when it gets done!

cheers,

Hi Mate,

My thanks for putting us onto this site/magazine i downloaded and read the articles and i am impressed it is on my favourites and i will be dropping in often to see the next instalmants.

cheers,

Mike (kymsheba)

• 1 year later...

cheers,

I have been reading the article in Simming La Vida Loca! about the Twin Otter with great interest. And I have tried the described training Traffic-Pattern at Pago Pago. I presume that I am gonna use the series 300 for this. Allthougt I have tried with weights at 12.500 - 11.000 - 9.500 pounds, even at 9.500 pounds I was not able (with flaps = 10 and Torque = 10 PSI as desribed) to keep the speed high enough to make a proper base-leg and landing. Me speed just got too slow with 10 PSI and sometimes I actually stalled. When I used 15 PSI with weight = 9.500 pounds I managed to make a reasonably good landing. Is the 10PSI in the article a typo? Do I use the wrong model? Can it happen that my Aerosoft Twin Otter is another version than used in the article?

I really would appreciate a feedback on this one.... :unsure:

Best Regards

Lars

I have been reading the article in Simming La Vida Loca! about the Twin Otter with great interest. And I have tried the described training Traffic-Pattern at Pago Pago. I presume that I am gonna use the series 300 for this. Allthougt I have tried with weights at 12.500 - 11.000 - 9.500 pounds, even at 9.500 pounds I was not able (with flaps = 10 and Torque = 10 PSI as desribed) to keep the speed high enough to make a proper base-leg and landing. Me speed just got too slow with 10 PSI and sometimes I actually stalled. When I used 15 PSI with weight = 9.500 pounds I managed to make a reasonably good landing. Is the 10PSI in the article a typo? Do I use the wrong model? Can it happen that my Aerosoft Twin Otter is another version than used in the article?

I really would appreciate a feedback on this one.... :unsure:

Best Regards

Lars

Hi Lars,

I could have been clearer in that part of the pattern description at Pago. Mostly, the 10 PSI setting is to get you slowed down enough to get beyond flap limit speed. Probably by the time you've gone past abeam the numbers and have slowed and put down 10 degrees of flaps, you'll be at about the right spot to turn base. From that key position on base, you'd want to go to 20 degrees of flaps (or more if you're on a short runway) and make a judgment on power based on whether you're high or low. For sure, the point isn't to make it with 10 psi, and I wasn't clear in Jarn's magazine on that. Old school teaching tells you that the best approach and landing is one in which power is only reduced to land after that key spot on downwind, but life isn't often that perfect. You really want to be trying to be on a stable approach, on speed, with a descent rate of 500 or 600 fpm or so and I'd personally be watching speed and descent rate in my instrument scan and more likely setting power by sound.

Hope that helps and thanks for the PM or I would have missed your post.

cheers,

Hi Steve,

Thank you. Now I understand better. If you can find the time I'm sure that a guided tour with the DHC-6 Series 300 wil be most welcomed by every Twotter-fan :)

Best Regards

Lars