Do real CRJ pilots use vnav?

blahhh

On some old aircrafts (as the 737 classic) I know that a lot of pilots prefer using basic vertical modes (SPD to climb, VS to descent) instead of VNAV which is not perfect always IRL. Is is true on the CRJ?

• Developer
5 minutes ago, blahhh said:

On some old aircrafts (as the 737 classic) I know that a lot of pilots prefer using basic vertical modes (SPD to climb, VS to descent) instead of VNAV which is not perfect always IRL. Is is true on the CRJ?

The vast majority of real world CRJs doesn't have the coupled VNAV system installed at all. The -1000s have it, a few -900s as well, but as a customer option. One pilot from an airline that bought the option for their -900s told me that they are not allowed to use it during climb by company policy (risk of speed dropping due to no autothrottle) and that they hardly ever use it during descent. It doesn't seem to be the most stable thing after all. So, yes it's probably not much different from the use of VNAV in the classic 737s.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived