Can't release parking brake

WaitingForGuacamole

On two separate flights from a GA parking space,  one on the CRJ550, one on the CRJ700, I got everything started up and ready to taxi, and could not release the parking brake. I tried using the mouse on the parking brake pedestal control, changing it did not change the PARKING BRAKE message on the right EICAS display, nor did the default key binding of Ctrl-NumDel. Note that this key binding not only did not reset the parking brake message, it didn't change the control position on the pedestal as expected.

I'm basically unable to fly the plane now. This started happening one flight after I crashed because the plane wouldn't accept roll input from my Thrustmaster Hotas.4.

Third flight I was able to release the brake and taxi, but couldn't take off because MSFS turned my taxiway at KDEN into a vertical wall (which is *not* your problem). However, after loading a new flight, I was unable to release the parking brake once more.

Mathijs,

Thanks for the response. I did follow the tutorial. I tried both the release knob on the lower left corner of the pedestal, such that the knob rotated and moved in. I tried Ctrl-. (numeric pad) as well. I've also ensured the wheel chocks were not set, as was suggested by someone else. The thing to note here is that moving the release knob does not toggle the PARKING BRAKE indicator on the right-hand EICAS display, nor does the key binding.

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem with the locked Parking Brake. A Mouse click animates and repositions the Parking Brake handle on the pedestal, BUT, the green CAS message remains ON and says Parking Brake On. This message moves in stacking order but always returns and the plane will not move.

it seems like another controller, key binding, or other conflict is present. I have searched but not found the conflict.

I was not able to find this url for CRJ support so I opened a support ticket a few hours after purchase yesterday. No help so far, just 2 emails requesting more details that were included in the first email 😑 which sim, win 10, pc specs, etc. 

Regards,

Ray

8 hours ago, Jetjockey10 said:

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem with the locked Parking Brake. A Mouse click animates and repositions the Parking Brake handle on the pedestal, BUT, the green CAS message remains ON and says Parking Brake On. This message moves in stacking order but always returns and the plane will not move.

it seems like another controller, key binding, or other conflict is present. I have searched but not found the conflict.

I went back to default key bindings to resolve an unrelated issue, and it still happens to me. Not every time, but enough to make things difficult from cold/dark.

I have done that. But since two people have mentioned this, can someone tell me why wheel chocks being set or unset would have any bearing on the "PARKING BRAKE" message in the right-hand EICAS display? Having chocks removed should have no bearing on this.

• Aerosoft
52 minutes ago, WaitingForGuacamole said:

I have done that. But since two people have mentioned this, can someone tell me why wheel chocks being set or unset would have any bearing on the "PARKING BRAKE" message in the right-hand EICAS display? Having chocks removed should have no bearing on this.

Because the sim does not know anything like 'chocks brakes', so we have to use parking brakes for that. 

1 hour ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@Jetjockey10 and @WaitingForGuacamole if you can't release the PB from Cold and Dark it is probably that the Chocks are still on. Please check the EFB for that.

Chocks were removed according to checklist.  I am ready for taxi with a stuck parking brake.  I think I have checked everyplace that can be checked.

Hello, I am having the same issue from time to time and I am trying to understand and to find steps to reproduce. 5mn ago, parking brakes released successfully but could never put them back on after push back.
Investigating in order to find reproduceable steps.

Happy I am not alone on that one...

I’m not sure, but I suspect that an external program is messing with the Parking Brake.  Could be the Pushback Helper that has a Parking Brake control toggle built in. I seriously doubt the Chocks have anything to do with the problem, but,   , we don’t know the code.

Surely Shirley there have been enough Parking Brake complaints that identifies this as a problem to be looked into.

Regards,

Ray

I've been having problems setting the parking brake. It is intermittent, but when the issue occurs, whether I use the mouse, my keybinding, or my joystick button binding, I see it briefly show set in the MFD but then it releases. Watching the animation, it pulls up, but goes right back down instead of twisting. It would appear that it is tangled up with some other logic and getting in a bad state. I also had the problem where it wouldn't set, but that was because I was doing an abbreviated start to test something else and forgot to pull the chocks. 

@Jetjockey10 @geoffda Yes, there are many reports of "unable to release PB". Currently we resolved all either by: 1) The user forgetting to remove the chocks or 2) The user having something (a key / button / axis) interfering with the Parking Brake.

Try the following: assign a new profile to each of your controllers except Kexboard and Mouse (these profiles are usualy completely empty. If they are not empty then delete all assignements). Load the CRJ in Cold and Dark (GET RID OF THE CHOCKS) and try to opperate the P/B by mouse. Does it stay in position?

If -YES- then go to Controls in MSFS and assign a button to TOGGLE P/B then get back to the aircraft. Try that Button (DON'T FORGET TO LOOK FOR THE CHOCKS). Does it work? If YES then you have a key binding somewhere in that other profile that interfeeres with the PB.

I think my Parking Brake interference was coming from the 3rd party addon Pushback Helper.  For the last few flights in the CRJ I haven't experienced any problems operating the PB. 

Now I am occupied trying to resolve issues with the Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant.  I have the throttles moving in the sim, but, not totally accurate or totally matching the detents of the CRJ.  The plane actually backs up when the throttles are at Idle.  The step by step with the short videos help a lot, but, I must have 3 or 4 profiles now.  Once I get one that I like I guess I can delete all the others.

One suggestion is that someone publish the unique numbers for each detent.  Something like 16384 Full Throttle, 8732 TOGA, 1115 Climb, 0 Idle, -16384 full reverse thrust.  These are close but could be closer.  The plane still backs up when the throttles are at Idle.

Regards,

Ray

Just now, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@Jetjockey10 thank you for the update on the P/B issue.

I'm not sure if I correctly understand your throttle issue (this should be another topic if you need further assistance) but do you know you can save your own detents through the EFB under Options?

Yes, I do and that is what I am working with.  It is more of a learning curve that anything else.  I'm sure someone will make a video soon that explains and shows how overcome the jittery and jumpy thrusts and throttle movements.  No Problem.. thanks.

Ray

Archived