How are the sales going for MSFS?

Fabri D

Hey there all, 

Congrats on the CRJ release today. So, I’ve been surfing the MSFS forum and I found many people complaining about the price of it (for me I am not, I understand these people are probably new to the sim add-on market, specially when it comes to aircraft) but it made me wonder very curiously, how are sales going for MSFS? I know it may be a bit early for the CRJ’s ones to speak, but are you guys nailing it like forecasted or is it a very private question? 

Cheers. 

• Developer

Just ask those people who talk about „overpriced“, if they want to offer there chef to work for 1-5 $ (or €) per hour, then you are near by the benefit of sales of the simulator Addon business for developers, MSFS is no change in it, it only make it more complicated. 
The User counts of an Simulator App (how it calls today) is in no relation to the base of customers of addons.

To make it clear, the market for flightsim Addons was small, is not growing, we are happy to keep the sales over all platforms stable. But the invest of time to produce products for multi platform is not stable, that should be clear for everybody.

PS: Thats the developer point of view, not the publishers, shop or Marketplace.

• Aerosoft

From the publishers point of view...  sales are very very strong. I can tell you some glasses were raised.

On prices things are simple. at this moment we set things a bit below what was standard for P3D because we have a larger potential audience. But we simply believe the prices are correctly set. Indeed for people who are not accustomed to the prices of FS DLC it might indeed seem high, but if you consider the investments (a serious aircraft can easily cost us half a million) things might seem more normal.

23 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

a serious aircraft can easily cost us half a million

Whoa!  I had no idea of that kind of cost.  Thinking about it in depth I could calculate how it could cost that much to develop though.  It seems like a very big risk, although I suppose with big risk can come big rewards.

MSFS sold over 2 million copies. So now imagine if only 25% bought the CRJ and do the math. 

The new Aerosoft CRJ is a work of art and might very well be the most beautiful modelling of an aircraft to grace the flight simulation world yet. Is it perfect?, no, there

are some minor quirks. But I am sure it is the first of many great aircraft simulations harnessing the power of the new simulator and what is now possible. 

Enjoying the aircraft very much. 

• Aerosoft
On 3/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, scotth6 said:

Whoa!  I had no idea of that kind of cost.  Thinking about it in depth I could calculate how it could cost that much to develop though.  It seems like a very big risk, although I suppose with big risk can come big rewards.

We have been doing this for nearly 30 years, we know how to mitigate the risks.  Must be at least 5 years a we did a FS DLC that did not make a profit.

When you look at what it costs to see a movie.....even just renting a movie online, the price of this add-on is very reasonable unless you plan to fly it once or twice.  Break it down by the number of hours you will probably fly it and you'll see just how expensive it is.  Hard core flight simmers are willing to pay for quality.  I hope other developers are seeing the success of this product and why it is so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 10:02 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

We have been doing this for nearly 30 years, we know how to mitigate the risks.  Must be at least 5 years a we did a FS DLC that did not make a profit.

How many man hours go into development of something like the CRJ from scratch? 

Really enjoying the CRJ btw. It's beautiful and fun to fly.

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, Segwin said:

How many man hours go into development of something like the CRJ from scratch? 

Really enjoying the CRJ btw. It's beautiful and fun to fly.

Archived