Twin Otter Lock Up

Tienmac

I purchased the Twin Otter today and performed the update. I have tried flying it and after about 1 minute of flying my computer locks up. I have to reboot the computer. The default aircraft work fine.

AMD 64 3200+

Geforce 6600 256 Mb

3 Gig of Ram

Do you have any suggestions?

Tien Macdonald

Hello Tien,

Can you un-install the Twin Otter and then remove any Aerosoft Twin Otter aircraft folders that may be left in the SimObjects Airplane folder.

Then try re-installing just the Main installer without the unofficial update, does it then work okay!!

Hello Tienmac,

Do you get any form of error message.

Also just out of interest what soundcard are you using and if its not onboard can you try dis-abling it in the Hardware manager and then see if the plane locks up. Just to check its not a soundcard issue.

Shaun,

I found I have the same problem with another payware aircraft, so I turned down the settings for the Scenery and Aircraft and now it appears to run fine. I must of had the settings too high and overloaded the memory on my graphics card. The Geforce 6600 card has 256 mb of memory.

Thanks, Tien Macdonald

I installed the latest drivers for the Nvidia card and updated to FSX SP2. The sim runs better with SP2, but I still will get a lock up on High or Ultimate settings for the aircraft. Tien.

Hello Tienmac,

Sounds like graphic overload then.

I have to agree. The cockpit textures take a bit to load up so I strongly suspect these are what's causing your lock-ups at higher settings. :idea:

Conversion to DXT5 greatly reduces the load time for me and would reduce the likelyhood of overload.

If you have Deluxe/Acceleration, there's an SDK tool (Image Tool) that'll allow you do this in seconds :D

I have a Geforce 8800 GTX with 768 Mb memory and

4Gb memory in my computer, but i have this same problem.

I have tried two times a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and

in both times after 20 minutes or so flying my computer

locked up totally. At the first time i even got a blue screen from

Vista :shock: but the second time i managed to kill the simulator.

Conversion to DXT5 greatly reduces the load time for me and would reduce the likelyhood of overload.

Which files should be converted exactly?

I can also try to update my graphics card drivers. I admit that i don't

have the newest version.

Anyhow, thanks for the hints to solve this problem.

This plane is great and i'd like to continue flying it.

I am having the same problems too. Did a complete FSX uninstall/re-install before I found this thread. Will try reducing the graphic settings and/or the the DXT5 conversion (whatever that is!).

My PC locks up when returning from any exterior view back to the VC. If you just stay in VC view from the off, it is fine. I am on FSX SP1 and have tried with both 1.00. and the 1.01 unofficial update. Have a decent graphics card too - Nvidia 7800GT PCI Express 256 MB - or is that old hat now!?

Anyway, the thread seems to suggest it's a video card memory issue, so I'll the suggested fixes and report back. This is the first add-on I've ever had this problem with. The DO-27 is fine which is a comparable panel?

PPanPan

Tweaked the graphics settings and all is fine now. I suspect it was selecting Water Effects to maximum which was the problem. Shame, would be nice for the Caribbean routes, but never mind.

• Aerosoft
Tweaked the graphics settings and all is fine now. I suspect it was selecting Water Effects to maximum which was the problem. Shame, would be nice for the Caribbean routes, but never mind.

The water effects are for sure one of the more advanced animations and are always high on my lists of suspects when things happen.