Speed/VS Mode Issues

It seems I am having problems activating both the speed and vs modes on the autopilot. I can select speed climb mode and airspeed but the autopilot does not follow the selected speed. Vertical speed does not work either, the autopilot just stays level at the selected altitude. 

Another possibly related issue is that the altitude capture doesn't seem to work correctly. It will capture an altitude 1000 above the selected altitude and I am unable to use either speed mode or vs mode to descend to the correct altitude.

I have gone through the supporting documents and tried different flights with different starting configurations and have the same issues each time. 

• Developer

Sounds like a center of gravity problem to me.

Can you make sure that the "Empty CG Position %MAC" slider in the fuel window (you need to resize the window to see it) is fully to the right?

Please login to display this image.

I have the same issues with alt capture and vs mode which seems to not be selectable with no (blue?) VS indicator on the VS scale of the PFD and the thumb wheel on the glare-shield seemingly non functional. 
climb in IAS mode seemed fine. 
Also, just as a test, I swapped between VNAV and non-VNAV modes in trying to get VS mode to work, but without success. 

• Developer

I just tried a climb to FL320 and it seems to work just fine with both CLB and VS modes, including switch between both. It captured FL320 and kept the altitude precisely. There was an 82 knot headwind during the last 6000ft or so.

Btw: the VS mode doesn't have a blue ball on the VS indicator, only a number on the FMA. The blue ball is only visible with VNAV active.

Ok, tried a different flight and verified the empty cg slider was all the way to the right. Both VS and Speed modes worked perfectly on climb out and the autopilot leveled at the assigned altitude as it should have. When starting descent it initially descended at the selected speed and then leveled off on its own while the airspeed continued to drop. At this point I attempted VS mode and the aircraft stayed level and refused to descend. FlightSimulator 2021-03-16 16-11-25-43.bmpFlightSimulator 2021-03-16 17-08-31-06.bmpThe only thing I can think of that would be an issue is icing. Each flight I've flown has been in icing conditions and I know MSFS has issues in this area. That doesn't explain the VS mode issue either. FlightSimulator 2021-03-16 17-06-45-25.bmp

• Developer

Please check this thread, especially the screenshot posted by the CaptMike2:

He used the MSFS fuel window to change the payload. However that just splits the weight evenly between the payload stations instead of per loadsheet. He has a similar problem like the one your report. So, is it possible that you changed the weight in the fuel window too?

Nope, I made sure to only use the EFB to load the aircraft to avoid this having any impact. I just used that screen to show that the empty cg setting was correct. I have been setting everything via the EFB and then clicking set payload in simulator. 

I reformatted the screenshots submitted earlier showing the speed and vs mode issue:

When I select a lower altitude for descent and press the speed button the PFD shows the selected speed (300 in this case) but the aircraft pitches for about 310 or more.

adding speed brake pitches the nose down further and increases the speed....

Am I misunderstanding the speed mode?

I set the MSFS payload settings to 0 then used only the performance on the tablet in the plane.  Verified all was correct, Set to simulator ect.  I still have no luck with stability using VS or Speed mode.  It will work perfectly for a while then stop working, begin to climb then descend then climb again.  ALT CAP is still hit or miss.  Just now coming in on final descent, it continued descending in VS mode through the ALT CAP then the autopilot froze and was unresponsive.  I'll keep messing with it. After restarting the game, the AP is back to normal but the ALT CAP and other various AP issues are still there.  

Also odd I cannot rotate until 180+ from an airport that is 840ft.  Even empty with little fuel and trim set to 6.0 or even lower, i'm well above Vr before i'm able to become airborne.

CaptMike2, I think we're likely seeing the same issues. I was struggling with this earlier and noticed that when I disabled the advisory vnav in the perf page the autopilot started following the vs and speed modes I had set. It might be a fluke as I haven't had a chance to duplicate it on another flight but maybe give it a shot if nothing else is working for you. 

Tried another flight this morning and couldn't reproduce the advisory vnav fix, it had no effect on the vs and speed mode issues this time. However the common denominator is icing conditions and the use of anti ice. I was flying the FLATI2 arrival into KDEN and the des speed mode was working perfectly. However once I got the eicas message that ice was detected and turned on the wing and cowl anti ice, the speed mode failed to work and would not maintain the airspeed selected. I think there is a bug with anti ice and the speed mode. This is also causing vs mode to fail as well and the autopilot will not follow the vs rate I have set. I know there is an effect on descent rate when anti ice is engaged due to increased N1 but I don't see why turning anti ice on would cause the vs and speed modes to stop working. 

I have found the solution to this issue. It seems to be an issue with how the simulator treats button mapping. If you have a switch mapped to anti ice make sure it is switched on along with the overhead switches for wing and cowl anti ice and everything should work as intended.

It seems that if you don't have your mapped switch turned on, the simulator will act like your anti ice is turned off even though the switches on the overhead panel are activated. 

I've tested it several times and every flight the autopilot has performed perfectly so I am confident this was the issue. Thank you Aerosoft for such a fantastic aircraft. Paired with MSFS it is about as close to flight sim perfection as you can get. You may close this topic, I feel that it is resolved. 

My last flight was into EIDL, self positioning on the outbound leg CFL NDB to then establish inbound on the LOC/DME, and it was near perfect until the NDB outbound leg. 

I needed to use VS mode to fine tune my descent and I needed heading mode to establish, but the aircraft lost altitude hold and it began to climb, it made no sense of my VS commands, so I ended up disconnecting the AP to fly and land visually.

It wasn’t as easy as all that because by the time you get the mouse wheel on point and adjust the VS, the aircraft has climbed, slowed, turned, and so on. 

The OP mentioned that he has hardware controls, and has found an issue with the deicing systems; is it the pitot static system or anti-ice at fault here?

I too have a variety of hardware (that said, I use flight controllers, throttles, flaps and gear levers) as I much prefer interacting with the fabulous VCs that have been hand crafted for us to use and enjoy. 

I’m wondering though whether there is something odd about external hardware and the CRJ systems. 
Obviously I can’t switch mine off completely but I can and will remove as much of it as possible from the equation. 
Fabio

My issue was specifically with the anti ice itself and not pitot heat. I haven't unmapped any switches, I just make sure that when I turn on the wing and cowl anti ice in the crj that I also activate the mapped hardware switch as well. I have flown multiple flights in icing conditions now and haven't had a single problem. I would say use your hardware in conjunction with the vc switches and see if the autopilot behaves. 

similar issue here:

when starting speed mode is iorgnored, plane is getting to fast.

Speedmode and AP have greem lights, CLB mode on Joke and seen in PFD, Wight and fuel via EFB, trim set as advided in EFB ... but plane is faster in climb than sppeed diald in.

Honeycomb joke, all button removed in options  and honeycomb Joke, 

*** Try changing your Flight model settings to "modern" to match my photo below.  I was in "legacy" and after I changed the setting, I had no more VS or SPD issues.  Hope it helps.

sadly no change ...

The picture shows the problem: throttle in climb, AP engaged to climb with 166 kts, planes making 220 und still accelerating ...

weights are the same like in tutorial, EFB doble clicked, fuel check and ok, modern flight model, weight slider in MS menue to the right, trim set according to EFB, weather was clear sky

On 3/16/2021 at 11:45 PM, ATC0616 said:

It seems I am having problems activating both the speed and vs modes on the autopilot. I can select speed climb mode and airspeed but the autopilot does not follow the selected speed. Vertical speed does not work either, the autopilot just stays level at the selected altitude. 

Another possibly related issue is that the altitude capture doesn't seem to work correctly. It will capture an altitude 1000 above the selected altitude and I am unable to use either speed mode or vs mode to descend to the correct altitude.

I have gone through the supporting documents and tried different flights with different starting configurations and have the same issues each time. 

i have the same problem

9 hours ago, CaptMike2 said:

*** Try changing your Flight model settings to "modern" to match my photo below.  I was in "legacy" and after I changed the setting, I had no more VS or SPD issues.  Hope it helps.

it worked! thank you so much

On 3/19/2021 at 12:35 AM, ATC0616 said:

I have found the solution to this issue. It seems to be an issue with how the simulator treats button mapping. If you have a switch mapped to anti ice make sure it is switched on along with the overhead switches for wing and cowl anti ice and everything should work as intended.

It seems that if you don't have your mapped switch turned on, the simulator will act like your anti ice is turned off even though the switches on the overhead panel are activated. 

I've tested it several times and every flight the autopilot has performed perfectly so I am confident this was the issue. Thank you Aerosoft for such a fantastic aircraft. Paired with MSFS it is about as close to flight sim perfection as you can get. You may close this topic, I feel that it is resolved. 

Yeah, it is the same kind of issue I have with AP. I have to have Avionics Bus 1 turned on on my Alpha yoke or AP wouldn't turn on. So basically, if you have any peripherals that have have a switch that is "always on". It can break the plane. And different switches break it in different ways.

Now that my CRJ isn't CTDing I'll re-enable my cumbersome VJoy and Spad.Next setup that uses momentary switch actions for everything! 

Archived