Performance issues

Liam Montgomery

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My performance, in general, is pretty terrible. Can't get above 30 fps on the ramp in ATL with the plane powered on. Spent a while fiddling with marginal adjustments in my settings, but couldn't get it to budge. Going to try later tonight seeing what drastic drops in settings will give me.

Ryzen 5 3600x, 1070ti, 32gb of RAM

When I go to low settings the best I can get it 25fps with everything powered on where before it's about 35-40fps with nothing on. I get it's a complicated aircraft and all addon aircraft in every sim have been that way, but almost half the fps lost just seems like a lot, especially with wow much more "optimized" this sim is.

• Aerosoft

The drop in framerate you see is more than we have ever seen on any of our systems (and clearly not what others see or this forum would be full of comments) and as I said that seems to suggest you are hitting some limit. It is something we are very well acquainted with in flight sims. All is well until some buffer runs full and then your framerate drops very fast.

But there is nothing we can do about that. It simply has to be something local on your system.

2 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

The drop in framerate you see is more than we have ever seen on any of our systems (and clearly not what others see or this forum would be full of comments) and as I said that seems to suggest you are hitting some limit. It is something we are very well acquainted with in flight sims. All is well until some buffer runs full and then your framerate drops very fast.

But there is nothing we can do about that. It simply has to be something local on your system.

I'm currently updating my GPU driver. A new one came out today and I will see if that changes anything.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz

GPU: GTX 1060-6GB

RAM: 16GB

I'm just watching the BritishAvgeek live stream on youtube. He has almost an identical setup as I do (AMD 3600X, RTX2070 Super, 32GB RAM etc) and he just said he really like the performance. It sure looks to be working very nicely so any performance issues is most likely not due to the addon itself

• Developer
45 minutes ago, zenit_swe said:

I'm just watching the BritishAvgeek live stream on youtube. He has almost an identical setup as I do (AMD 3600X, RTX2070 Super, 32GB RAM etc) and he just said he really like the performance. It sure looks to be working very nicely so any performance issues is most likely not due to the addon itself

Yes and no. There are always setups that like an addon and others that don't. Finding out why is the most difficult part in the development process.

Hey guys, first off just wanted to say wonderful work on the aircraft, I'm part of the FlyByWire team and just wanted to say congratulations on this milestone! Just wanted to chime in to this discussion and add to the table about the performance issues. During startup of the aircraft, when I turn on external power my fps drops by about 10, same goes for when starting the APU but it only take around 5 frames. Other than some performance issues and the flight controls being very sensitive (probably something I have to look into) I have been having a blast flying this aircraft! Just wanted to let you know that I get the performance issues no matter where I am or if i'm online or offline. If you want anything else (videos, photos, etc..) of the performance issues just let me know and ill be happy to send them your way.

PC Specifications:

i7-9700k @5.0 Ghz

32GB @3200 Mhz

RTX 2080Ti

Sim is on an SSD

Although I have no performance issues, I think for the fairness, the MSFS is at a state that is hard to pinpoint any performance issues because of SU3 has introduced performance issues by itself.

Just wanted to get back. I've made a post here too before, about low fps. For whatever reason this was only happening for me on the first flight.

Now it's fine, with same area and weather. Not sure what it was but it's fluid now. Not high does, around 30, but really fluid.

Not sure if this is planned for the future but am noticing that the display refresh rate on the CRJ is not the same as the in-sim setting. I currently have mine set to low in the sim settings and all the other aircraft follow that change except the CRJ. I'm kind of wondering if the possibility to change that to a lower refresh rate will dramatically help others with their performance in the cockpit.

Hey guys!

Quick update! I think I mostly solved my performance issues. I switched to the Nvidia Studio Driver for my GPU. The Game Ready Driver was mostly the culprit. There’s still some optimization that I think could be done (changeable cockpit refresh rate via the EFB, etc.), but overall I’m extremely impressed with this release! I did my first shakedown flight and it went mostly flawlessly! I need to fly plenty of patterns with this bird - my landing was passable at best 😅

• Deputy Sheriffs
50 minutes ago, Liam Montgomery said:

I switched to the Nvidia Studio Driver for my GPU. The Game Ready Driver was mostly the culprit.

This is a very good idea. I also experienced issues with the Game Ready Driver, not only in MFS but also in other programs. Obviously the Studio Driver is a far more stable and reliable version.

Does anyone with performance issues have Vsync or framerate limiter enabled ?

Try to disbable Vsync and set framerate to unlimited.

Remember to check Your GPU driver Vsync also is turned off.

With modern games and PC systems, Vsync should not be used.

On my system (i7-10700K, RTX2070S, 32GB Ram, SSD) the CRJ is among the smoothest performing aircraft - really.

This is with most settings on High.

Even in VR with my Oculus Quest 2, it really performes smooth.

This is with most settings on Medium.

Yesterday I had e few trips From EKBI-EKCH (EKBI from Vidan Design and EKCH from Fly Tampa).

It ran silky smooth, even when taxiing at EKCH.

BTW - I have alot of mods enabled, like all WorkingTitle mods, DA62X, DA40X, C152X, GNS530 etc.

FinnJ

I also get a significant drop in performance, about 20-25 FPS.  This happens as soon as the aircraft is powered by either the APU or ground power.  I have tried both game ready and studio drivers and don't see a difference.  I am no where near approach memory limits according to task manager.  System specs are i7 8700, Nvidia 2070 Super and 16GB RAM.

I'm seeing about a 25 percent drop in FPS due to the screens coming on. For example, going from cold/dark to selecting the Turnaround preset, I immediately see a drop in FPS from 38 to 28. Running 7700k, 32gb RAM, 3070.

Wanted to chime in here, and I apologize, I am new to these forums. I accidentally started a new topic in the wrong forum (controllers) Please remove if you can admins.

This is what I wrote to start that other topic, but it is applicable to this particular thread. I am VERY excited about this airplane and I commend the devs on what I've seen so far. Kudos, but I do seem to have this same issue.

Normally I'll be sitting at the gate around 40fps in the FBW 320 on my rig, eventually once taxiing and taking off, depending of course on the airport, I'll usually be around 35-37fps. Once airborne, especially if switching to the drone view I'll be up to 40-50fps and higher in cruise.

With the CRJ, It will load in cold and dark around 40fps. But the second the APU fires up, frames immediately will drop 25% to 30fps limited by main thread. This is reproducible at multiple airports and if I turn the APU off, right back to 40 fps.

As Hans asked, I will say it does seem pretty smooth and there are not many stutters, which is great! but by the time I take off I'm into the early to mid 20s and I'll get the odd stutter. The frames will never go higher than 30-32 even at cruise; it is bizzare. Almost like they are locked, but they are not. And in drone mode or cockpit view, they'll never go up, even at cruise levels, which I find bizzare compared to all the other aircraft I've flown in the sim.  I understand once the APU comes to life, all the systems are also coming to life...but still seems like a sharp drop.

I remember I had this issue WAY back with the Shock ultra. The second I powered on the avionics, FPS plummeted. I can run the fbw 32nx no problem at all...

Is this normal? I can live with it, I am just curious if others are experiencing the same thing. I think I expected a similar performance to the fbw 320 and I'm sitting about 25% less right now.

Thanks again everyone and thanks for any insights,

Computer:

Ryzen 5 3600

RTX 2070 super

32gb ram

sim installed on 1tb ssd nvme.

19 hours ago, Flyboy3121 said:

The strange thing about it is that in the 747, FBW A32NX, and the WT CJ4 the frames only lower maybe 5fps or less when I turn everything on. The CRJ seems to maybe triple my drop.

19 hours ago, Liam Montgomery said:

For me personally it is smooth - again, akin to having the FPS manually locked at 30. The FPS is the same externally too. 

This is my exact situation, and I am personally glad others are having this same experience. FBW A32NX I'll drop maybe 4-5 frames from cold and dark to fully ready. WT CJ4 the same, but starts much higher. I expect some drops obviously when the avionics and systems fire up, but the 25% drop seems steep. Also the 'locked' 30 frames inside and out is interesting..never seen that one before.

6 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As said comparing it to the A320 makes very little sense as that is written in HMTL/JavaScript and not C++.  For a project of this magnitude C++ is the only option,

I think we're just comparing it, performance wise, as that seemed to be the benchmark leading up to release and thus those were the expectations. Either way, if this is what is to be expected, it is what it is. We can all hope there will be a patch resolving some of the drops/stutters introduced with SU3.

I am running MSFS on an iMac (Bootcamp with Windows 10) with  i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz with 24GB Ram and and Radeon Pro 980 GPU with 8 Gb. MSFS runs smooth using High-end settings with stable 30 FPS with 1920x1080 resolution. 

Can I risk it, or is my computer surely too weak? 

Michael 

Archived