Cockpit Wind Noise

I agree that the wind sound in the cockpit sounds exactly like the wind sound in the outside view. I also found that a little disturbing. Obviously I don't know if it is realistic in the CRJ cockpit, but it does not sound immersive to me, more like a window being left open. Would be nice to be able to optionally turn that down in the EFB settings.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2021 at 8:58 PM, Danny875 said:

the sound in my sim is like the wind coming in from a doorway or something.

Couldn't had described it better.

This is OFF. I solved it by lowering the environment slider to 10. 

1 hour ago, Neucoas said:

Couldn't had described it better.

This is OFF. I solved it by lowering the environment slider to 10. 

Okay, so is this slider only affecting the wind sound or will it also reduce other sounds too?

9 hours ago, Purr said:

Okay, so is this slider only affecting the wind sound or will it also reduce other sounds too?

No idea tbh. But we should have to do this.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay then it is indeed wind noise.  If you feel it is too loud you can use the sound sliders in the sim to tweak it. The pilots who advise us, however, feel that the sound is realistic so we do not have any plans to change it.

Time to use headphones over headphones then. :)

20 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

And did the camera microphone wear a headset like the pilots do? 

Of course not, but it is a good starting point for what kinds of sounds would be heard, no? Personally, I hear wind noise and packs both in that video in about equal amounts. I don't actually have much issue with the CRJ sounds. Wind noise is generally one of the loudest things you hear in a cockpit from my professional aviation experience. 

Here's a good example of that in an aircraft with no engine or packs(!): 

I've got a few hundred hours jumpseating in CRJ cockpits, the wind noise is definitely exaggerated, it sounds like wind whipping around and is very canned sounding.  

I'd love to change it myself, unfortunately it seems the sounds are "packed" and thus I cannot.  

I agree about the sound. For me not that it is too loud specifically but the rate seems too high. In the climb at a lower speed the sound is good. When speed increases the wind sound pitch gets too high and it indeed starts to sound like there is a leak somewhere.

vor 15 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

And did the camera microphone wear a headset like the pilots do? 

Why not just appreciate the Feedback and the effort of some people who actually try to point out an unrealistic sounding wind noise? Don't get me wrong and sorry if you didn't mean so but your responses about this topic sound a bit snippy. Sure the aircraft is at this stage not perfected but that is to be expected, nobody would complain if they just get some kind of aknowledgement. I basically believe the aircraft is really great and a milestone to MSFS but the wind noise in the cockpit sounds kinda disturbing since it feels to me like exactly the same you would hear being in the default C172's exterior view. But I am sure you guys will look into it and make the immersion even more perfect than it is already.

I’m typed in the cl65 and fly the 200, 700 and 900. In fact I just flew one of the paints included with this crj. There is no wind noise in the cockpit like a door is open, like we hear in this msfs crj. Yes, the cockpit is loud but this isn’t even remotely correct. Just pointing it out. I’m a bit disappointed that aerosoft is dead set on leaving it. It makes me wonder what else is going to just stay. A friend of mine at the company I fly for is a check airman for the crj, another is a sim instructor. We’ve found quite a few things that need to be fixed, starter cutout, auto ignition stops at the wrong n2, eicas message that seems completely made up and we’ve never seen and isn’t in an manual or QRH, little things I hope are addressed but given the answer from devs here... it’s unfortunate. 

On 16.3.2021 at 20:49, Mathijs Kok sagte:

The pilots who advise us, however, feel that the sound is realistic so we do not have any plans to change it.

You once explained - and I can very well understand the difficulties coming with that - that it is more about what customers expect than what is indeed accurate. Maybe that's the case here. I've never flown in the cockpit of a CRJ but I remember you can't hear the engine sound ("jet_whine" in the olden days) even in the front rows, so I won't expect them in the cockpit. I remember and would expect a more subliminal tone. And the wind noise doesn't sound like expected either, as described - and confirmed - already. Unfortunately we can't meddle with the .wav files anymore and are therefore more dependant from developers - hence my petition to rethink your absolute stance here.

I have never been in the crj cockpit but that wind noise also seems too loud to me. But this is Aerosoft. "We like it, we won't change it". "Our experts say that, end of discussion". "ILS doesn't work as it should? Just fly it manually". Etc. I'm a little bit disappointed too.

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 minutes ago, mhron said:

I have never been in the crj cockpit but that wind noise also seems too loud to me. But this is Aerosoft. "We like it, we won't change it". "Our experts say that, end of discussion". "ILS doesn't work as it should? Just fly it manually". Etc. I'm a little bit disappointed too.

If you quote somebody, do it correct please.

I might add to the discussion a bit, the wind does sound particularly aggressive. Now I’m not sure how loud the actual CRJ is since I don’t have a baseline to compare it to...but nonetheless, the sound does very turbulent, like it’s changing direction and gusting every few seconds. This doesn’t feel right for Mach 0.78 at 38,000, where the flow should be quite quasi-static.

If the wind noise is loud, then it’s loud, whatever. But if it’s constantly changing in pitch and amplitude every few seconds, that’s just not right unless you’re doing wild side slips at FL380.

To state differently, the volume may be acceptable, but the audio itself sounds a bit more like wind whipping in your ear on a hilltop than the constant white-noise wind heard in a flight deck.

I've flown on several aeroplanes on the jumpseat similar to the CRJ and neither of them had this howling wind noise when I took my headset off. I would be concerned if the manufacturer sold the aeroplane with this loud noise in the cabin!

I agree this noise is not correct at all and not what you would hear on the flightdeck BUT I also think this is not part of the CRJ soundset and is caused by MSFS.  I have heard this sound many times in other aircraft in MSFS and have to end up turning the Environment sound slider down to make it less obvious.  Asobo seems to be using the outside wind sound effect that you would hear on a windy day down on the ground up in the air as well and it sounds silly.  I reported it ages ago to Asobo but I guess they don't see this as an issue.  I don't mind turning Enviro sound down as long as I am not losing anything else.  I would like to see a way to increase the sound of the avionics and packs in the CRJ....maybe some sound sliders on the EFB.  Otherwise a really nice aircraft!

The OP already posted a video. This is exactly what I hear as well:

On 16.3.2021 at 22:04, re84uk sagte:

Hi

Recorded a quick video.

To me it just sounds like the external wind noise is playing inside the cockpit.

1 hour ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Can someone please record a short video (in game, no full flight please) where this noise can be heard? I don't hear anything except the engines and avionics fans.

Hey Hans - I can confirm the sound is tied to the 'Environment' sound slider.  I saw in another post you keep all of your other sliders at 100 but not sure where you keep this one.  If you crank that one up...even at 70 you can hear the sound at cruise levels buit maybe engine noise is drowning it out.  I have my engines sounds at 70.  It may also be tied to the strength of the winds aloft which is even more strange.  I had 90 kt winds on one of the flights and it seemed more pronounced than my flight with 20kt winds. With my Environment sound slider at 10 I have pretty much eliminated the noise....but not sure if I have killed anything else other than airport sounds that are tied to that slider.

Archived