SIM keeps crashing trying to load the CRJ

PhntmV2

Thanks for your attention to this issue.

Unfortunately, it does seem like there is something inherently unstable about this aircraft in the current environment.

I have FS 2020 installed through Microsoft Store on secondary SSD, and CRJ downloaded from Aerosoft.

First time I loaded up CRJ-700, at Flightbeam KPDX gate (no flight plan), initial loading went fine. Then I picked ready to Taxi via EFB to check out instruments. Was looking around, checking out ~30fps frame rates with Xbox game bar. All seemed okay. Then I went to traffic settings, tweaked some things, sim crashed. I did not have any other intensive or RAM hungry programs running, like browsers etc. Computer freshly restarted.

Ok, then I tried to load the plane again, sim crashed.

Then I removed the CRJ installation via Windows add/remove programs menu, but it did not get rid of AppData folders (you should probably fix that). So I deleted those manually.

Restarted sim, made sure all was well without CRJ.

Reinstalled CRJ, saw a tip here to load from airborne. Did that near barebones Kelowna, loaded okay, flew for a minute, loaded CRJ 500 same way, and AppData populated fine with 8 files. But a couple minutes later, SIM crashed.

Ok so I removed all add ons from community and all non MS/Asobo add ons and subfolders from official folder. Did not make any difference.

Still the only reliable start I can get now is through developer mode, switching from A320 neo. I also turned off "Load Modules Asynchronously."

So I tried loading CRJ 700 at Asobo KSFO. Did EFB -> ready to taxi again. Started a pushback. Right when pushback was about to be finished, sim crashed.

So yeah, the CRJ is unstable, for whatever reason.

No problems with any other add ons (in the past I have had one scenery conflict solved through community folder pruning, here makes no difference), but the CRJ keeps crashing no matter what I do.

Whether it crashes immediately when trying to load at airport, after 2 minutes in air, or after 5+ minutes after switching from A320, I am unable to fly the plane.

I also excepted FS 2020 process from Windows Defender.

Computer is i7-9700, RTX 2080 Super, 16 GB of RAM (RAM usage seems well within limits, however, and running at 1440p not 4K).

Windows 10 Home 19042.867, latest Nvidia drivers.

Nothing overclocked.

Performance is fine until sim crashes.

At default Kelowna, ready to taxi.

RAM usage at 64-68%
CPU 28-35%

GPU 64-76%

VRAM 69-70%

FPS 34-35, no stutters.

Then after 6 min with totally steady performance, crash. Odd!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone that is having issues do you have simconnect installed? Navigraph charts? I uninstalled both and rebooted my machine and then loaded a default plane  and while in dev mode i switched over to the CRJ and it loads fine. I can also select it directly and as long as i ONLY set the departure airport then the CRJ will load. If I try and load it with even a direct to GPS to another airport it crashes the game upon loading. I am not saying simconnect was causing my issues but last night I wasn't even able to load a default aircraft and then load the CRJ in dev mode without it crashing the sim. Now I can at least load the CRJ straight into the game as long as I ONLY select a departure airport. Whether its cold and dark or if it starts on the runway fully running. This is by no means a fix but it is a workaround that currently works for me. 

Given Mr Mikes comment, I think there is overlap with my workaround.

My CTDs have gotten better in that they are now predictable and there is a workaround. More info in my last post here:

31 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

Anyone that is having issues do you have simconnect installed? Navigraph charts? I uninstalled both and rebooted my machine and then loaded a default plane  and while in dev mode i switched over to the CRJ and it loads fine. I can also select it directly and as long as i ONLY set the departure airport then the CRJ will load. If I try and load it with even a direct to GPS to another airport it crashes the game upon loading. I am not saying simconnect was causing my issues but last night I wasn't even able to load a default aircraft and then load the CRJ in dev mode without it crashing the sim. Now I can at least load the CRJ straight into the game as long as I ONLY select a departure airport. Whether its cold and dark or if it starts on the runway fully running. This is by no means a fix but it is a workaround that currently works for me. 

I had simconnect listed in my add/remove programs from Prepar3d install (long removed). I removed simconnect and deleted dlls from Prepar3d documents folder, restarted.

Didn't make any difference.

22 minutes ago, Thx1137 said:

Given Mr Mikes comment, I think there is overlap with my workaround.

My CTDs have gotten better in that they are now predictable and there is a workaround. More info in my last post here:

Well I tried

At YSCB:

RAMP 16 - GA Medium

with CRJ 700, for me it crashes. Like you, about 3/4 through loading bar.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is something in the scenery server causing a conflict, and it perhaps varies per server. I am in the USA.

That said, if I turn off photogrammetry and Bing data AND online functionality, the CRJ still crashes. I do not have a roaming cache.

As I said, I can load through developer mode after A320 or 737 but it crashes after 5 minutes (or in flight sometimes, but typically after 2 minutes it will crash).

No discernable resource stress, however, as I describe above. I have tried monitoring both with xbox game bar and task manager. Crashes all the same.

I do not have any non Asobo/fs-base/microsoft folders installed at the moment except CRJ. I have, however, installed FS 2020 to secondary drive.

Well I thought I was on to something but again it is crashing for me no matter if i load it after loading a default aircraft or not. I am not sure why it would work fine a few times and then restart MSFS 2020 and it goes back to crashing when selecting the aircraft. Weird behavior.

Here is another event viewer for the admins to send to Asobo if they want. If anyone from Aerosoft or Asobo wants me to help with troubleshooting I can. I know where to pull event logs from and other items. I have been in IT for over 20 years and am well versed in WIN 10.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6040b793
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6040b793
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000188bf77
Faulting process id: 0x1d54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71b9eb1d08a44
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: bfca488b-26f0-47bb-9c6a-db15b360cde2
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

6 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

Well I thought I was on to something but again it is crashing for me no matter if i load it after loading a default aircraft or not. I am not sure why it would work fine a few times and then restart MSFS 2020 and it goes back to crashing when selecting the aircraft. Weird behavior.

Groan. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure your gfx drivers are the absolute latest and you add those three EXEs to the Windows Defender process exclusions. It has made a difference to me so far, it better not get worse again. Grrr!

The exception is an Access Violation. That is a nice common exception often caused by bad pointers when I did some C programming maybe 20 years ago. IT doesn't give much to go on for the devs.

4 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

Yeah. I tried turning off Windows Defender as well. Still crashes.

1 minute ago, Thx1137 said:

Groan. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure your gfx drivers are the absolute latest and you add those three EXEs to the Windows Defender process exclusions. It has made a difference to me so far, it better not get worse again. Grrr!

The exception is an Access Violation. That is a nice common exception often caused by bad pointers when I did some C programming maybe 20 years ago. IT doesn't give much to go on for the devs.

Yeah i figured it was a common error message. The one I just posted may be as well. I do have the latest drivers for my rtx3070 . I can't see how Windows Defender would be blocking a native Windows application but I guess it is possible but I would think we would have an issue beyond the CRJ if that was the case.

7 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

Here is another event viewer for the admins to send to Asobo if they want

If you haven't already, attach a DxDiag somewhere too. That can allow the devs to correlate peripherals to see if particular hardware is more susceptible.

Just now, Thx1137 said:

If you haven't already, attach a DxDiag somewhere too. That can allow the devs to correlate peripherals to see if particular hardware is more susceptible.

Can do..

Well I tried running as admin, didn't make any difference. Defender off, or with flightsim and xbox processes excluded, no difference.

Then I loaded airborne in CRJ 550 around Ted Stevens PANC. No power this time (other times I have had power when loading airborne, which is curious in itself), developer mode kept me from crashing when I hit ground. Once on ground, EFB worked. Set it to ready to taxi, then slewed up a couple thousand feet. Then I flew for like 15 minutes, longest ever. Exited to main menu without crashing.

Reloaded into Stewart KSWF, and was able to take off from runway (just barely). Flew for like 5 minutes, exited to main menu again.

Reloaded into Vancouver (default scenery), but this time crashed on loading.

Problem seems to be somewhat state-persistent and scenery specific!

18 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Good morning!

I just spoke to our friends and Asobo and they confirmed that these CTDs are indeed an issue with the simulator itself and not the CRJ. They asked me to ask you to try/tell us about these four things:

1) Please try to run the simulator as Administrator and try again

2) Please enable developer mode in the MSFS Options and disable "Load Modules Asynchronously" in the [DevMode]|Options menu

3) Please let us know if you moved your community folder out of its regular location by using symbolic links

4) How much memory do you have installed in your PC?

The more feedback we can give them, the more likely it is that they are able to track down the cause of the problem and provide a quick fix for it.

Thank you!

@Hans Hartmann This should have been pinned. It is too easy for people to miss it!

Great news that Asobo at least know it is a sim issue.

1) always do

2) Disabling made no difference.

3) No

4) 32GB (DxDiag attached)

DxDiag.txt

8 hours ago, sandpatt said:

I just tested it and can confirm.

Loaded up the FBW A320 (latest dev build) at KMEM (ramp 30). 

I quit the flight by going to main menu and loaded up at the same location and stand, but with the CRJ and it loaded now.

This worked for me, but with default A320. I uninstalled CRJ, wiped AppData.

Started sim not in developer mode, not in admin mode this time, loaded A320 at KMEM ramp 30. Interestingly took a long while to load A320 and during this time actually these 4 CRJ files were built in AppData!

m8cac1771_0.cache

m8cac1771_0.dll

m8cac1771_0.lib

m8cac1771_0.pdb

Almost like the A320 is a proxy for the CRJ. Weird.

Anyway, then I was able to exit and load CRJ 700 at KMEM, tried same thing A320 then CRJ 700 at KDFW, and finally Aerosoft Paderborn (figure it should work there after all). Then I flew for a while around Paderborn.

However, loading CRJ 700 without loading A320 first, CRJ crashes. 

9 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Now that IS a good hint. It might indicate the start setting of variables plays a role.

Can other people confirm this?

same thing for me

i start a flight with dr400 from asobo

i use developer menu to load the crj

it works 

but all fonctions on my cockpit are not available 

10 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Now that IS a good hint. It might indicate the start setting of variables plays a role.

Can other people confirm this?

I experienced this. I can load only load the CRJ without a CTD by first loading a different aircraft (not just the A320), then loading the CRJ.

Interestingly, I’m experiencing similar behavior with the Carenado Waco, which I recently purchased from the in-game store. I can only load the Waco without a CTD if I first load another aircraft, then switch to the Waco with the developer mode aircraft selector.

• Developer
1 hour ago, BremyG said:

then switch to the Waco with the developer mode aircraft selector.

You should never use the aircraft selector. It causes issues with the aircraft initialization. I stopped using it quite early in the development process.

To everybody who gets these CTDs while the "m"-files are created, do you use any anti-virus software other than Windows Defender? And if yes, which one? We're getting closer to finding out what happens, but don't know yet why. The kind of error is one where AV software is possibly the culprit (I'm not saying it is. It's just possible!), so we would like to know what you use. Thank you!

• Developer
2 hours ago, podzob said:

same thing for me

it works 

This just means that the sim hasn't crashed while creating the "m"-files (probably because the plane using them was not loaded) but just didn't create them without crashing. The basic problem remains the same.

The result of my last try:

Open MSFS
Start with CRJ500 at EDDN on Gate 2
Starts but extremely slow, not possible to interact with the CRJ systems

Please login to display this image.

Seems to be ok!

I'm using only Windows Defender
I selected the CRJ in my "Hangar" 

Attached my Console, especially the "error-list-2.txt" shows an interesting error:

ASCRJ_DEBUG: Exception: 3/1/2672
ASCRJ_DEBUG: Exception: 3/1/2673
WASM: Exception c000001d in gauge MCDU1V in module F:\FSX\Official\OneStore\aerosoft-crj\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft_CRJ_550\panel\ASCRJ_550.wasm

Error-list-1.txt Error-list-2.txt

After some minutes I tried to change my selected aircraft with aircraft selector in debug mode and this chsnged aircraft (C172 G1000) works normal!

• Developer
24 minutes ago, schmiko said:

WASM: Exception c000001d in gauge MCDU1V in module F:\FSX\Official\OneStore\aerosoft-crj\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft_CRJ_550\panel\ASCRJ_550.wasm

This is a different problem. It's not related to the topic of this thread.

If you can, please send me your flightplan and what your last FMS-related action (for example a direct to) was before it occured.

• Developer
3 hours ago, podzob said:

same thing for me

it works 

Was the m*.dll created when you tried that?

40 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

To everybody who gets these CTDs while the "m"-files are created, do you use any anti-virus software other than Windows Defender? And if yes, which one? We're getting closer to finding out what happens, but don't know yet why. The kind of error is one where AV software is possibly the culprit (I'm not saying it is. It's just possible!), so we would like to know what you use. Thank you!

Good morning Hans,

only Windows Defender over here, no other antivirus. All the "m"-files are present. Fyi: workaround over here is also loading a flight with default aircraft, quit back to main menu and load a new flight with the CRJ.

• Developer
1 minute ago, Bart176 said:

Good moring Hans,

only Windows Defender over here, no other antivirus. All the "m"-files are present. Fyi: workaround over here is also loading a flight with default aircraft, quit back to main menu and load a new flight with the CRJ.

Thanks, Bart. We're continuing to look into this. Slowly but surely a picture is forming... but no cigar yet. I'll inform you guys right away when we have found something.

Hello, I have the CTDs also. No Anti-virus except Windows Defender. After my first attempt at starting a flight, it crashed leaving only one m-file. After the second attempt and crash, I got four m-files with the same name, but different filename extension.

My game also crashed while downloading the plane, or shortly thereafter. After that had happened, I got a weird error msg when I attempted to start the game again. It said: "Breakpoint reached" or something to that effect. I had to reboot my machine in order to get the game up and running again.

32 GB ram, no mods, have not moved the community folder.

I've had frequent crashes and FPS issues ever since Sim Update 3, as I understand many have, but they are random. This plane is crashing every time.  :\

Archived