SIM keeps crashing trying to load the CRJ

PhntmV2

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, unfortunately with me still does not work, all advice followed anyway CTD!
The file I would attach, but is too big . How can I send?
Regards: Laszlo

My friends,

We recently had a disgruntled user post in this thread several times. While we certainly don't like anyone having issues with any of our products, everyone knows that the CRJ was the first complex third party airliner developed for a brand new simulator which itself is still finding issues to correct.  Moreover, and speaking as someone who has been in the flight sim community from the very start over 40 years ago and has seen this play out more times than I can count, every single system and installation no matter how similar, is different and this explains in part why some people have certain issues and others do not.  Then add the different knowledge levels, and one can start to develop reasoning for this.

I have experience with almost every single complex addon for flight simulation since they were released, and I can tell you that bugs are always found when the public receives the products (the reasons are outlinned in the paragraph above, see differences).  This is just how it is in flight simulation where the software is FAR more complex than other software in the game community.  Because of the wide range of different systems (including different software and software updates) we find in the flight sim world, having reports from users help developers to identify problems that simply were not seen during testing. Again, it's very complex stuff compared to other software.

Regardless of the software developer, this is simply how things are and a bit of frustration has been a part of every single complex flight sim addon since they've existed.  If someone doesn't wish to go through this, then they should simply wait until about 6 months from release during which time previously unknown issues are identified and corrected both by the third party developer and the base sim developer.

Finally, I must stay there is no room for disrespect for foul language in our forums, and it is not helpful in any respect.  The one thing we demand is that everyone, staff included, treat others with mutual respect.  There is no faster way to be removed from our community than disrespectful conduct.

We have the very best, most expereienced, most open and honest prodgram manager in the flight sim world working for us all, and having worked with Mathijs for many years I have complete faith that he's ontop of things.  He's also working with this brand new, trail blazing simulator that we all wish was further along, and that is far fromt easiest thing for Mathijs and our development team to do.  Having been through this many, many times before, I know that over time we'll be amazed by what Microsoft/Asobo and Aerosoft will provide to us, and trust me when I say that everyone on both sides is working very hard to compress/collapse time frames and make this happen for us.

I hope this explains things a little better, and as always I leave you with my warmest regards and best wishes.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Hello, unfortunately with me still does not work, all advice followed anyway CTD!
The file I would attach, but is too big . How can I send?
Regards: Laszlo

Please upload the crash dump to OneDrive, Dropbox or similar and send the link via PM to Hans.

45 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

My friends,

We recently had a disgruntled user post in this thread several times. While we certainly don't like anyone having issues with any of our products, everyone knows that the CRJ was the first complex third party airliner developed for a brand new simulator which itself is still finding issues to correct.  Moreover, and speaking as someone who has been in the flight sim community from the very start over 40 years ago and has seen this play out more times than I can count, every single system and installation no matter how similar, is different and this explains in part why some people have certain issues and others do not.  Then add the different knowledge levels, and one can start to develop reasoning for this.

I have experience with almost every single complex addon for flight simulation since they were released, and I can tell you that bugs are always found when the public receives the products (the reasons are outlinned in the paragraph above, see differences).  This is just how it is in flight simulation where the software is FAR more complex than other software in the game community.  Because of the wide range of different systems (including different software and software updates) we find in the flight sim world, having reports from users help developers to identify problems that simply were not seen during testing. Again, it's very complex stuff compared to other software.

Regardless of the software developer, this is simply how things are and a bit of frustration has been a part of every single complex flight sim addon since they've existed.  If someone doesn't wish to go through this, then they should simply wait until about 6 months from release during which time previously unknown issues are identified and corrected both by the third party developer and the base sim developer.

Finally, I must stay there is no room for disrespect for foul language in our forums, and it is not helpful in any respect.  The one thing we demand is that everyone, staff included, treat others with mutual respect.  There is no faster way to be removed from our community than disrespectful conduct.

We have the very best, most expereienced, most open and honest prodgram manager in the flight sim world working for us all, and having worked with Mathijs for many years I have complete faith that he's ontop of things.  He's also working with this brand new, trail blazing simulator that we all wish was further along, and that is far fromt easiest thing for Mathijs and our development team to do.  Having been through this many, many times before, I know that over time we'll be amazed by what Microsoft/Asobo and Aerosoft will provide to us, and trust me when I say that everyone on both sides is working very hard to compress/collapse time frames and make this happen for us.

I hope this explains things a little better, and as always I leave you with my warmest regards and best wishes.

Hi Dave

I really appreciate you taking the time to post and welcome your insight. I think it's a really fair point about people's knowledge levels and system differences. I've seen some really useful feedback on the thread from others that have clearly helped identify the/an issue. I suspect some differences in system configuration and also something in this aircraft triggered an unexpected failure in MSFS code which will need fixing.

However, I take issue particularly with your point about waiting 6 months. I stand to be corrected but I don't remember seeing anywhere that I should be prepared to wait for the product to be fit for purpose for about six months. I don't understand what you're saying here - is it some how cheaper because it's not complete and I should feel compelled to help you develop your products? 

I stand by my earlier point, too. You have a product you are selling that has an issue for some people who won't know who they are until it happens and Aerosoft/ASOBO seem happy to keep cashing in at their risk. You are failing to inform buyers of a know issue and letting them buy. It is actually quite serious and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, as above it could be something in my particular set-up but it's also clear if the posts are to be believed that there is a fix needed by ASOBO. Here is what happened to me:

• Bought the Aircraft (Marketplace - since had a full refund)
  • Installed aircraft, Tried to play it, CTD, Tried again, CTD, tried some fixes here CTD
  • Tried again, crash to shutdown - hmm
  • Restarted, all seemed OK, tried again, crash to shutdown, black screens
  • Tried to restart, BSOD, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE nvlddmkm.sys
  • Used DDU installed new driver
  • Computer stuck in loop
  • Result, a full day rebuilding my machine with a fresh windows install

Now of course some of the steps perhaps I could have handled better but without doubt my problems started with the CRJ. 

What your product page should say is: "Some of our products are not complete or fit for purpose at the time of purchase and your systems may be at risk. We can't tell you which products, the way it works is you tell us when it goes wrong. In the meantime, we value your time and don't forget we're protected by a digital download policy - so no refunds. With this particular product, we are aware something is wrong and we think it only fair to tell you so that you know it's your fault if you download it and something happens - perhaps try a different hobby. We do not provide any goodwill gestures for any help you provide because it's all for the good of the community (and our shareholders). We hope you're not one of the unlucky ones."

Yes, of course the above is a little churlish and I'm a bit cross about what happened to me but I'm even more annoyed you're still selling it with no warning and in the light of that - I think it's a fair summary.

Chris

11 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Things progress quickly this morning. I was just told that there is a possible workaround for the problem:

• Go to the OPTIONS screen in MSFS
  • Select GENERAL and then TRAFFIC
  • Change TRAFFIC VARIETY to ULTRA

This causes the simulator to not go through the code that crashes.
Please give it a try and report back if it fixes the CTDs for you.

I can confirm that this does the trick for me also. Can load any flight now with the CRJ without CTD so far, and it didn't CTD after take-off. Thanks Aerosoft and Asobo!

• Developer
3 hours ago, Threshold20212 said:

Yet still no CLEAR warning on your product page about a potential issue. You're quite happy for people to make uniformed purchases. Shocking really. 

Why should we put a warning on the product page for a bug in another software? There's also a workaround available.

1 hour ago, Threshold20212 said:

Hi Dave

I really appreciate you taking the time to post and welcome your insight. I think it's a really fair point about people's knowledge levels and system differences. I've seen some really useful feedback on the thread from others that have clearly helped identify the/an issue. I suspect some differences in system configuration and also something in this aircraft triggered an unexpected failure in MSFS code which will need fixing.

However, I take issue particularly with your point about waiting 6 months. I stand to be corrected but I don't remember seeing anywhere that I should be prepared to wait for the product to be fit for purpose for about six months. I don't understand what you're saying here - is it some how cheaper because it's not complete and I should feel compelled to help you develop your products? 

I stand by my earlier point, too. You have a product you are selling that has an issue for some people who won't know who they are until it happens and Aerosoft/ASOBO seem happy to keep cashing in at their risk. You are failing to inform buyers of a know issue and letting them buy. It is actually quite serious and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, as above it could be something in my particular set-up but it's also clear if the posts are to be believed that there is a fix needed by ASOBO. Here is what happened to me:

• Bought the Aircraft (Marketplace - since had a full refund)
  • Installed aircraft, Tried to play it, CTD, Tried again, CTD, tried some fixes here CTD
  • Tried again, crash to shutdown - hmm
  • Restarted, all seemed OK, tried again, crash to shutdown, black screens
  • Used DDU installed new driver
  • Computer stuck in loop
  • Result, a full day rebuilding my machine with a fresh windows install

Now of course some of the steps perhaps I could have handled better but without doubt my problems started with the CRJ. 

What your product page should say is: "Some of our products are not complete or fit for purpose at the time of purchase and your systems may be at risk. We can't tell you which products, the way it works is you tell us when it goes wrong. In the meantime, we value your time and don't forget we're protected by a digital download policy - so no refunds. With this particular product, we are aware something is wrong and we think it only fair to tell you so that you know it's your fault if you download it and something happens - perhaps try a different hobby. We do not provide any goodwill gestures for any help you provide because it's all for the good of the community (and our shareholders). We hope you're not one of the unlucky ones."

Yes, of course the above is a little churlish and I'm a bit cross about what happened to me but I'm even more annoyed you're still selling it with no warning and in the light of that - I think it's a fair summary.

Chris

I understand Chris, but there is a reason for why this has always (without a single exception) been the case in flight simulation. The reasons have differed with each new simulator.  This is so native to flight simulation it's akin to our breathing, and as a computer and technical quality assurance engineer who has worked multi-million and multi-billion USD ($) systems, and as someone who has also worked manyt complex aircraft in the flight sim community, I'm just telling you this is how it is and likely will always be no matter who the developer is.

This being the case, it's a "Howl at the Moon if you want to but it won't do any good" type thing.  I'm not happy to report that, but I know the reasons why it's just how it is.

CHeck this out.  Our very good friends at PMDG are sitting on the fence, waiting for the SDK and a few other things to be more fully developed before they invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into developing a single aircraft.  Guess what?  When they release their aircraft, it too will have bugs that people aren't happy about.  Again, it's how it is in flight simulation.

Last thing.  Back in 2008 when PMDG released the NGX it had far more issues than the CRJ does, and I wrote a very professinal critism (and gave my background) of the effort.  I was PISSED that I paid money for this thing.  Two years later I would for the first time step behind the looking glass and work my first major flight sim aircraft.  By the time I was half way through that effort I realized how embarrased I was about what I wrote back in 2008.  You see, one just doesn't get it until they see it for themselves, and my explaining all the reasons in detail simply wouldn't help anyone to truly understand it.

My best wishes to you my friend.

14 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Things progress quickly this morning. I was just told that there is a possible workaround for the problem:

• Go to the OPTIONS screen in MSFS
  • Select GENERAL and then TRAFFIC
  • Change TRAFFIC VARIETY to ULTRA

This causes the simulator to not go through the code that crashes.
Please give it a try and report back if it fixes the CTDs for you.

A special thank you from Asobo goes to everybody who provided crash dumps. All six crash dumps show the same cause, which is a very good thing!

Hello,
I went to GENERAL> TRAFFIC and I realized that I already had the TRAFFIC VARIETY option in ULTRA, in doubt I lowered the number of planes on the ground and I launched a flight directly with the CRJ with an external livery from flightsim.to.
The loading starts, reaches 50%, my stress goes up, the loading goes to 75%, it takes a little time and there, magic, the CRJ is loaded. I take off and land at the same airport, I go to the gate, I cut the engines. I restart it, I cut again, I restart and surprise: no CTD. I wonder if I was lucky, if it is chance after 3 days of problem, I launch another flight, I change livery and direction Italy ... loading starts, I wait 50 ..75% and I manage to use the CRJ again, I take off, I land etc. in short, superb evening I was finally able to enjoy it and I hope that it will last over time. Thanks for your help, some screenshots I made to thank you. Cheers

Please login to display this image.

I am now jealous of all you guys where you got it working.

LOL :)

Mine works too for every 10  times on the average (which is exhausting) I load a generic plane at various airport cold/dark and then change it to the CRJ.

I am thinking maybe I ought to buy another copy via the MSFS store front and uninstall the Aerosoft shop version and see if that would fix  the Avionics all  dark including the EFB problem. The main issue that has been solved here is the CTD which now won't happen if I buy in MS Storefront. I am thinking. 

Being an obsessive compulsive person that I am, I can't fly any other aircraft than this CRJ now.. HA HA . :)

Hmmm...

12 hours ago, Manny said:

But my cockpit is always dark and the EFB also doesn't work.

What peripherals do you have plugged in? AP wont work unless I have my Alpha yokes Avionics Bus 1 switched to ON. If I were you I'd check the settings to see what "always on" switches are ON and see if any of those are interfering. If one switch can cause issues another one certainly might.

I'd also make sure FSUIPC and Spad.Next are disabled for your testing. You need to be as vanilla as possible.

5 hours ago, Manny said:

I am now jealous of all you guys where you got it working.

LOL :)

Mine works too for every 10  times on the average (which is exhausting) I load a generic plane at various airport cold/dark and then change it to the CRJ.

I am thinking maybe I ought to buy another copy via the MSFS store front and uninstall the Aerosoft shop version and see if that would fix  the Avionics all  dark including the EFB problem. The main issue that has been solved here is the CTD which now won't happen if I buy in MS Storefront. I am thinking. 

Being an obsessive compulsive person that I am, I can't fly any other aircraft than this CRJ now.. HA HA . :)

Hmmm...

hi Manny

if you want my opinion i expect it to crash again

II did have the Trafic Variety option on Ultra before their advice, in summary I did not change anything and it worked last night so having changed nothing except the number of planes on the ground, I expect that crash again loool

• Developer
3 hours ago, podzob said:

hi Manny

if you want my opinion i expect it to crash again

II did have the Trafic Variety option on Ultra before their advice, in summary I did not change anything and it worked last night so having changed nothing except the number of planes on the ground, I expect that crash again loool

You aren't even capable of understanding the difference between the problem that Manny is facing and the one you had. "Had" because the workaround provided by Asobo 100% fixes it for everybody, including people who sent support tickets. What Manny sees is a completely different thing than the CTDs. But OK.

I'm closing this thread now, because the problem, that it's about, has been solved. The "dark cockpit" issue has its own separate thread. Please use that one for any further posts on this topic. Thank you.

Again, I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who helped fixing the CTDs by supplying us with information and crash dumps. It turned out to be a problem that had very little to do with the CRJ (except that it occured during the WASM->DLL conversion phase and made it look like the CRJ crashed). So, may be some will invest a little more brain capacity into thinking before they start pointing fingers next time.

Archived