Thrust decrease when moving the throttle in cruise

Marci3013

I am using the TCA Airbus Throttle. Setup so far worked good, but I realized while in cruise that the thrust is decreasing to idle when I'm moving the Throttle. Only after a while it comes back up to the desired N1.

• Developer

Yes, we are aware of that. It's partially because of the very short throttle range of the TCA. I bought some custom brackets from shapeways.com which move the detents further forward and thus give more throttle range. This helps a bit, but the underlying problem is that the fuel flow controller is initially over-reacting. We're working to get this fixed asap.

• Developer

I had to re-calibrate my TCA throttle several times because the IDLE position isn't really "fixed". Right now it's set to -8150 and -8193 and the N1 goes down to 21.1% as expected.

Ah, okay that's really different compared to mine. In the EFB its set to like -7200 or something I actually calibrated it already a few times, but it always comes up with those values.

17 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Yes, we are aware of that. It's partially because of the very short throttle range of the TCA. I bought some custom brackets from shapeways.com which move the detents further forward and thus give more throttle range. This helps a bit, but the underlying problem is that the fuel flow controller is initially over-reacting. We're working to get this fixed asap.

Where did you find the detents on the website?

• Developer

Ah. Now I understand...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZRUW892G8/realistic-detents-for-thrustmaster-tca-quadrant?optionId=201217014&li=marketplace

This is something I bought personally for myself at my own risk. It's not officially endorsed or recommended by either Thrustmaster or Aerosoft!

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Ah. Now I understand...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZRUW892G8/realistic-detents-for-thrustmaster-tca-quadrant?optionId=201217014&li=marketplace

This is something I bought personally for myself at my own risk. It's not officially endorsed or recommended by either Thrustmaster or Aerosoft!

Well I am trying to get it stocked in our shop.... 

6 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

I had to re-calibrate my TCA throttle several times because the IDLE position isn't really "fixed". Right now it's set to -8150 and -8193 and the N1 goes down to 21.1% as expected.

What I did was to calibrate the position while pressing the throttles back a bit.
A suggestion I would have (no idea how hard or easy to implement it would be) is to be able to set a deadzone. If a percentage isn't possible maybe add a second idle value (high idle / low idle) and everything in between is regarded as idle maybe?

• Developer

One thing on this. Apparently it got too late for me yesterday, so I didn't notice the "in cruise" in the title.

When flying "at altitude" the idle N1 is higher than it is on the ground. This is done by the FADEC system in order to provide enough bleed air.

59 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

One thing on this. Apparently it got too late for me yesterday, so I didn't notice the "in cruise" in the title.

When flying "at altitude" the idle N1 is higher than it is on the ground. This is done by the FADEC system in order to provide enough bleed air.

While in cruise the N1 decreases to idle when moving the throttle only a little.
This thread got a bit confusing since two separate issues are within it. Th e main one is though the issue with the Fadac not responding correctly in flight.
Sometimes I increase thrust (Is displayed correctly by the thrust lever model) but the N1 goes down, also when in external view the percentage is eradic. 
If you wan't I can make a video this evening and post it here?

I experience the same problem and I believe it is related to the physical throttle axis - the constant inputs override the ones from the FADEC and cause the N1 to go all over the place. It seems to be much more stable if I use F2/F3 to control the throttle.

I have the same issue here with the Warthog Throttle unit. 

It is working fine without spikes as it has a very large range to move bute the problem is as described that a movement on the physical axis upwards results in thottle going down for some time and then reconfiguring on the set value.

IMO this has absolutely nothing to do with the Hardware we use but it is FADEC (CRJ) or SIM related. 

Other airliners with FADEC work just fine and i state again, the throttle unit does not spike at all. 

Rgds PC

Warthog here as well and the CRJ in both MSFS and P3D is the only plane that has this issue. 

I wonder if it has something to do with the CRJ code not being able to properly deal with high quality throttles that have a long range. 

And we have read the FAQ and the manual and used the settings tool in the EFB and have other planes and sims and yes the problem happens only with the CRJ atm.

vor 20 Minuten, DLH9KA sagte:

And we have read the FAQ and the manual and used the settings tool in the EFB and have other planes and sims and yes the problem happens only with the CRJ atm.

Sorry to say, but i can only second that @Mathijs Kok
(Almost) No issues in the other sim with various aircraft, Single/Twin Probs, BizJets, / Airliners from Old Age (B737s / A300 / Maddog) to Busses and Helicopters (Bells. UH-1D) ....

So i am pretty confident, that i know what i am doing.

I am quite unhappy atm ...

Oliver

Archived