Virtual Reality

MultiMediaWill

I've tried it and the main issue for me is that I have to zoom/lean in to see the PFD.

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but when setting the Alt Set, the mouse cursor doesn't stay on the Alt knob, when you zoom in on the PFD, so you can't adjust it while you look at it. 

I'm fairly sure you can do this on the CJ4, for example.

That means I have to look at the Alt Set on the PFD, adjust the Alt knob, look at the PFD, adjust the knob, rinse and repeat, until i get to the right altitude setting.  

OK, I could solve this by getting a better GPU/VR Headset or maybe by adjusting my settings, but that wouldn't work for when you're trying to set things like the airport elevation, for example.

In short, the issue is that the VR mouse cursor follows your gaze when it should stay on the control that you are adjusting.  IRL, you would be able to adjust a knob whilst looking at a readout elsewhere.

I am very happy to report that VR works really well with the CRJ. I have the Reverb G2 and it looks really good. The displays are readable, but the zoom in feature is nice when you need it. I don't have any mouse issues, and I find all the buttons pretty easy to click including the EFB. FPS was solid over Las Vegas and San Francisco. Overall a great experience! 

Can I ask if you have found a way to adjust the 'landing field elevation'?

The knob is as high on the overhead panel as you can get, with the display of the affected value is on the MFD.  I understand that this is how the real aircraft is laid out, but humans IRL are able to hold and twist a knob while they aren't looking straight at it and i have yet to find a way of doing that in VR.

I've found something in MSFS that I hadn't been previously aware of and it is likely to be very useful, for me at least, in the CRJ cockpit.

The feature, in the controls section, is known as "Cockpit Interaction" and it allows the pilot to move the mouse cursor over a control that can then be selected as the primary, secondary or tertiary control.  A control of interest if you like.

Once selected, the mouse cursor disappears and you can then look elsewhere in the cockpit and adjust the selected control, using an increment or decrement control of your choice.

I have allocated the mouse wheel button (mid) to select the control and the mouse wheel itself to increment and decrement.

The one drawback I have found so far, is that if you move your head too far from the position it was in when selecting the the increment/decrement actions stop working until you return it to that position.  Also, if you use the right mouse button to zoom in, that appears to unlock the control of interest.

Oh, and the HUD displays the selected altitude far more clearly, so i can use the HUD with cockpit interaction, to set it.

A new headset and GPU is definitely going to be the best bet, but I thought this might help others.

Archived