Active Sky being launched but doesn't terminate

Ray Proudfoot

I have configured SimStarterNG v2.1.3 (rev 23) to launch Active Sky (ASP3D) for P3Dv5 via the Extended settings tab. It starts okay but when I exit P3D it stays running as shown by the icon in the system tray. Any way of solving this please?

I hadn't fixed it. I have SimStarterNG configured to launch ASP3D  which will also launch ASCA. Now whilst it will launch it does not terminate after P3Dv5 closes.

This is the startup screen. Is everything as expected? Just to reiterate I've run AS like this in P3Dv4 for ages without issue. But it was a different version not requiring this login action. Whilst that works AS does not terminate when P3Dv5 closes. It should shouldn't it?

Please login to display this image.

I also have SimStarterNG v1.8.7 (rev 1) for P3D v4 and v3. I have it configured to launch ActiveSky and it loads and unloads after P3D is closed.

I have checked the install path for and everything looks fine. This is very frustrating. Do you want a log to assist in solving this problem?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ray, I see the same with P3Dv4.5. But TBH I never checked this before and I do not see any switch in SimStarter NG P3D which tells an application to shut down after P3D is closed.

So maybe it just works as designed in the new version.

But I'm sure Peter will jump in soon.

Hi Otto. Glad I’m not alone. I never had the problem with P3Dv4.5 but it used a different version of Active Sky and SimStarter. There wasn’t a switch in the earlier version of SimStarter either but AS did close and ASCA closed too.

If I add ASP3D to the Run command it will terminate but ASCA stays open. So I have to use the AS option in SimStarterNG.

• Developer
vor 17 Stunden , Ray Proudfoot sagte:

Three days on and no response from @Capt. PERO. Is anyone able to check if he's okay?

I didn't realize that your entire simulator operation depends on whether or not a program can be closed. Sorry.

Since 18.05.2020 I have been asked by HIFI to not "kill" ActiveSky any more, as connection sessions could stay open. They want me to "close" the appliacation which works when it's not minimized (in most cases). Thats the reason - no bug. If you want to ignore the recommendation by HIFI as "killing" ActiveSky looks like a must have feature on your PC, please use a RunSet and add it here. Applications in Runsets will be hard "killed" (and uncheck the option in advanced tab).

Stay safe.

Hello Peter,

Your tone is surprisingly sarcastic. That's not like you. Is any of this mentioned in the SimStarterNG documentation? I did look through it and the Hi-Fi docs but could find nothing.

Now that I know how the new ASP3D works I'll probably set it up to stay on the desktop (via SimStarter) or run it when Windows starts and leave it out of SimStarter altogether.

You might consider "pinning" that information to the top of your topic list since it's a radical departure from how AS previously worked with SimStarter.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived