CRJ Pro 2.4.0.0 throttle issue with FSUIPC

Hey,

I updated the CRJ Pro in P3dv5 yesterday and now my throttles are not responding anymore. I'm using the Saitek X-56 with FSUIPC. Before the update everything worked well. 

I dont know what the magic combination is with FSUIPC in the mix with regards to Throttle and this aircraft.

If I configure FSUIPC to send as a normal axis, I can calibrate the throttle detents in the tool no problem... The issue I have is that the aircraft simply has no climb power. It's unable to accelerate to 250kts in SPEED CLB. I then try going into FSUIPC and send it through FSUIPC calibration instead. The throttle then refuses to move in cockpit, or in the calibration tool in the EFB. So I put the assignment back to "send to FS as a normal axis" again, and suddenly the aircraft wants to speed up and is able to climb.

So you'd think this configuration would be fine for the next flight? Noooo... once again, plane unable to accelerate and or climb.

With FSUIPC being such an important tool, I wonder why this plane has never worked well with FSUIPC in the mix.

I dont have any duplicate axis assignments, and all assignments in sim have been deleted. All other planes work well with axes going through FSUIPC. Why doesnt this one?

1 minute ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Does the N1 reach the climb power indication? Did you check the spoilers?

I'll check N1 on my next flight and get back to you. The spoilers switch I leave in AUTO and the lever is in the retracted position so shouldn't be extended

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you start methodically working through a problem (and it was nothing to do with FSUIPC or throttle calibration in the CRJ EFB)

In my case the complete lack of climb power and wonky (LNAV/VNAV) was actually down to Aivlasoft EFB interfering. The default profile for the CRJ7 couples your programmed flight plan to the default GPS.

Please login to display this image.

I think this must play havoc with the aircraft, because I've turned this off, and the plane now behaves as it should. N1 indicates climb power and it takes off (and climbs) like an absolute rocket.

One to file under "weird and wonderful things external programs do to your plane"! Hope this sorts this out for other people also.

• Developer

Oh. Thank you so much for letting us know about this. I don't have the Aivlasoft EFB, so I wasn't aware that there even was an option for this. This is really helpful for our support guys 🙂

Ok, so much for that being the cause.... Delighted that one flight worked out fine after removing this setting, I started a new one.

Same issue.... nothing more than a measly 900fpm climb,

TOGA button pushed on the throttles, TOGA detent set, rotated fine... power slowly died off as I climbed

This is how I had my throttles set

Tried changing them to this instead:

Got climb power back by doing this, but then these same amended settings wont help on the next departure.

And this flight is doomed... because I pretty much stalled out on the climb, I now have a DIFF PRESS warning, despite PACKS being on

I would dearly just love this plane to consistently work.... :(

(This was the UNGA1M SID off of RWY 33 at EGBB)

NAV went in after takeoff (AP still off), SPEED went in, and I bugged this up to 200 in preparation for flap retraction schedule). Climb detent set. AP went in before the right hand turn. Plane would not accelerate, or climb. It was following LNAV though. Messed around with FSUIPC settings on the climbout as above, managed to get Climb to actually kick in (by swapping it to Send to FSUIPC Calibration), but by that point, I'd already stalled out of the climb. AP knocked itself out, had to take manual control again, retrim, and set the climb out speeds again

• Developer

It works consistently, otherwise myself and all the beta testers would have noticed this. I remember that there was the same issue with another user before and it was a simple solution. I'm trying to remember/figure out what it was.

You get the right N1, so this is not a throttle issue. My first guess really would be extended spoilers - even if inadvertedly by some hardware axis.

The diff press warning is because the aircraft didn't manage to climb properly and the auto press system switched to "return to airport" mode. That's fine.

32 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

I'm trying to remember/figure out what it was.

Eagerly awaiting any insight you might have. I dont have any spoiler axis configured anywhere, so at a loss at what this could be :)

4 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Can you send me a screenshot of the right EICAS display with the F/CTL page please?

Thanks for your time on this Hans. At what stage in the flight would you like a screenshot? I canned that flight as it was doomed. Can start it again if you wish

On the "climb-out" runway 33 UNGA1M... same 700fpm "climb", despite climb 250 commanded and SPEED CLB

I've worked out if I cycle the Ground Lift Dumping Spoiler Switch, then I can climb. I use GSX for pushback, and having redone all my FSUIPC axes I definitely don't have anything with spoilers assigned to it. Not sure what could be triggering a spoiler extension (not that I can see one on F/CTRLs page)

I also noticed an issue with the spoilers. It this has been around for quite a while. I tested the following with and without FSUIPC:

When the CRJ is loaded from a fresh P3D start via the Scenario Startup Screen (with the default F-35 flight), the FS internal spoilers of the CRJ are more than 100% extended. Strangely this does not happen always, but in 80% of the cases. In the minority cases the spoilers are fully retracted as expected. But in the normal case the SimVar SPOILERS HANDLE POSITION shows 16385 (where 16384 is the official maximum) meaning that the spoilers are fully extended. This causes additional aerodynamic drag and negative lift, so your rate of climb is lower. But you don't see it because the spoiler handle in the cockpit and the animated panels on the wings show the spoilers retracted.

Actually, when I move the spoiler handle in the cockpit with the mouse, I can't see any change in the internal spoiler position, only the animations move. So there is no additional drag in P3D when moving the handle. I had to assign a switch via FSUIPC to move them (Spoiler Inc / Spoiler Dec). The default P3D key press for spoilers on/off works inverted to the handle and panel animations (handle retracted = 100% internal spoilers).

For those with FSUIPC who want to check the true spoiler status themselves, just use the logging function with offset 0BD0 (see screenshot).

16384 = spoilers full extended, 4800 = spoilers armed and retracted, 0 = spoilers retracted.

11 minutes ago, Yves77 said:

Strangely this does not happen always

Can confirm this is the case. Happened on my flight above out of uk2000 EGBB, but has not happened out of AS EDDM.

At least I know to look for random spoiler extension on load now, and hopefully given this info, the dev can get to the bottom of why this might happen

Can also confirm that if you manually move the spoiler handle with the mouse, aside from the visual effects of the spoilers moving on the wings, this appears purely cosmetic. If you assign an axis to a spoiler, then their extension starts to have an effect on aerodynamics (and drag)

I'm seeing a similar issue- on climb, throttles are set to max, giving me 93% N1. Even setting vs to 300fpm Im barely over 200 kts from FL240-FL300. Fuel on board is 12000 Lbs and MTOW is 91800 lbs. 

Archived