LNAV and S-Turns - Update 2.4

Performed a test flight last night with the updated 2.4 version and have to say that the autopilot still has issues following the flight plan. Initiating turns too early, then turning back to intercept the flight path again, then turning back again and it keeps going on like that like a pendulum until the plane finally settles. The reason for those constant S-Turns, in my observation, is that the CRJ initiates turns like an F-16, even with 1/2 Bank selected, the plane turns up to 30 degrees and then turns right back for a turn that's maybe just 10 degrees. It seems very aggressive and default-autopilot style.

Might be a placebo effect but it feels like the performance is better.

I really want to love the plane and enjoy it more, but having S-Turns on every intersection because it overdoes the turn kills the immersion and feels very arcade like. Those issues were there in the previous versions as well and I was really looking forward for that to be gone. 

Yes, seems it is a never ending story.

During a SID departure (EDDF) if the waypoints are near together these S-Turning starts too.

No, my speed was 210kts like the charts suggested. I know the CRJ is speed sensitiv in such situations 🙂

I'm curious to see next week if the CRJ for MSFS does it better.

I've had the previous version of the CRJ and grabbed the CRJ Professional for a discount but then remembered why I wasn't using it for years and completely forgot about it. I'm curious as well about the MSFS rendition of this aircraft. This could be the one that would pull me over to MSFS full-time. Watching the video of The Dude, it looks very promising, the turns, the ILS intercepts.

One thing I learned though is to wait and see, wait for reviews and reports. 

Archived