What do I do with the downloadable profiles in XPlane

I see there are some profiles already sweated out for many of the best tubeliners, but no real guidance on what to do with that file once you download it.  I placed them in the profiles folder of the Configurator folder, and loaded them into the XPlane version of the configurator (kudos to whomever invented that word!  Never had run across it in 71 years of speaking English!!).  I even activated one of them.  But over in the controls pages of XPlane, I do not see any of those profiles - only the User profile.  And it does not seem like XP even recognizes the Alpha and Bravo, although they appear and can be calibrated.  But little or nothing of them actually works in XP - throttles do not move, nor flaps, and so on.  IF I use the XP configuration, it will then respond, but often in reverse, and in unpredictable ways.  This is making me regret having just bought this screaming new computer, because right now the only thing screaming is me!  And this, after waiting forever even to get the Honeycomb units!

• Aerosoft

Hi Tony,

I am moving you into the correct subsection of the forums as you are talking X-Plane.

First it is important to understand that there is no link between the configurator and what you do there with X-Plane assignments itself. So, it is normal you don't see anything from the configurator in X-Planes control pages. Also, most of the assignments you might want to do, you can simply do via X-Plane natively...it is only if you want to use advanced functionality for e.g. specific aircraft that you cannot achieve with X-Plane alone that you might want to use some functionality the configurator can offer. Thats also why the default bravo configurator profile that comes with the download only has the two rotaries defined that control autopilot functionality. As this is simply not possible with X-Plane alone. So, the rest you simply might want to define via X-Plane directly, depending your needs.

Apart from that, we have this channel where you can find some introductory videos for the configurator which will also be expanded over time.

Thanks; I have looked at some of those, but cannot really understand them.  I'm a pilot of long experience, but not a scientist or a computer engineer!  When we got into the big Level D sims, everything worked; and if it did not then there were an army of techs that were summoned, and they fixed it for us!

So, what I think you are saying is that those downloadable profiles are not good for anything except the operation of the A/P panel?  And if the configurator does not impact XP, what is it for in the first place??  These Honeycombs look great and work great (except for the too-strong yoke force in the pitch axis, but that is already known to be a problem), but it is a first class nightmare to set them up.  Three days now and I cannot get off the ground in anything except Aerofly FS2, and that only barely.

I have tried "defining" things in XP, but they are erratic and don't always work correctly; ie, they often reverse the direction unpredictably.  And for some reason, in the Zibo mod profile the thrust reversers do not stow unless the levers are pulled UP!  That is not how I recall it worked in the real airplanes!

Is there a step by step booklet (or more likely big book) that lays all of this out completely and at a level that a mere pilot can understand?  Conversely, do you know of any "consultants" who could actually set all of this up?  Jetline systems set up the sims themselves, but they did not have the hardware to do a set up for that.  Looks like a good career opportunity for the adept?

Some, perhaps many, of your topic areas are hidden on this site.  I cannot find this area without using the link to it that you left in the hardware discussion area.  Where is the directory or listing of your topic areas?

• Aerosoft
On 26.2.2021 at 20:10, Tony Vallillo sagte:

Thanks; I have looked at some of those, but cannot really understand them.  I'm a pilot of long experience, but not a scientist or a computer engineer!  When we got into the big Level D sims, everything worked; and if it did not then there were an army of techs that were summoned, and they fixed it for us!

Well...I guess the hourly cost of using a LevelD sim also justifies an army of technicians taking care of you. I don't think that is 100% comparable ;).

So, what I think you are saying is that those downloadable profiles are not good for anything except the operation of the A/P panel?  And if the configurator does not impact XP, what is it for in the first place??

Nope...I was not saying that it is not good for anything else, just that there might be multiple ways to achieve what you want to achieve. The design philosophy behind the Configurator is such that everything that can be done natively should also be done natively via the simulators control handling themselves in order to minimize the performance overhead. Thats why it is e.g. not dealing with axis at all, as all of what one might want to do in that area does not require the use of an additional layer of software.

I have tried "defining" things in XP, but they are erratic and don't always work correctly; ie, they often reverse the direction unpredictably.  And for some reason, in the Zibo mod profile the thrust reversers do not stow unless the levers are pulled UP!  That is not how I recall it worked in the real airplanes!

As the most important rule of thumb you will have to make sure that there are no double bindings defined for the buttons. So, if you decide to use a Configurator profile, make sure that all buttons it uses have no function defined in X-Planes control menu itself and vice a versa.

How does one go about making sure that there are no double bindings?  Some are actually called out to you, such as my use of the twist axis on an older stick, which I have to use whenever the TPR pedals do something nasty to the bed; which is quite often with this new computer, for reasons neither I nor Thrustmaster can figure out.  But I digress........that one I understand and can deal with.  But just yesterday my Bravo stopped playing nicely with my Zibo mod - the Thrust Reversers are back to their old habit of deploying when the levers are stowed, and stowing when the levers are raised.

Another confusing thing with XPlane's interface is the multiplicity of throttle axes in the settings.  Regardless of whether you have the zibo profile activated, you still see a section in the XP joystick setup area for the Bravo for both four and two engine commercial.  That begs another question - in which area or areas of this setting (either configurator or XP settings) would you set up a THREE engine jet config for a 727, or some other trimotor?

• Aerosoft

Hi Tony,

How does one go about making sure that there are no double bindings?

As there is no link between what is defined in the Configurator and X-Plane's controls assignment you have to make sure there are none for yourself.

Another confusing thing with XPlane's interface is the multiplicity of throttle axes in the settings.  Regardless of whether you have the zibo profile activated, you still see a section in the XP joystick setup area for the Bravo for both four and two engine commercial.  That begs another question - in which area or areas of this setting (either configurator or XP settings) would you set up a THREE engine jet config for a 727, or some other trimotor?

You have different views onto the same profile in order to visibly capture all areas of the device. You can see that whatever view you have selected, if you assign a function to a button or axis, it is also displayed in the other views for that same profile. If you want to define a new profile making use of three 3 throttle axis and link that to your trimotor you have to do that via this button:

Please login to display this image.

• 1 month later...
  • Aerosoft

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived