Strange pull up

AlexShorrock

Hi, i am finding my DHC 6 impossible to fly.

1. I know this has been solved, the plane tending to turn to the right, but i am waiting for an update in the form of an installer (.exe) i am too nooby to try myself!

2. But most importantly, the plane has a ridiculous urge to pull up, especially in low revs, but even at any throttle range. This happens when my joystick is centred, or when i am fighting it. This pulling up can be rectified at flull speed, but is still noticeable and annoying. This makes it understandably impossible to land, or reallly do anything. I have checked that the pitch is set to 0, and have even tried changing it but to no avail.

This has never affected any other aircraft, only once it happened to the default Bombradier crj 700, but by pausing and unplugging and generally messing around i think i have stopped it. Please can you help fix a catastrophic problem to an otherwise excellent A/C.

Also, maybe my CRJ 700 isnt fixed and if not maybe there is something related, but as i sai my joystick functions normally when flying anything else.

Thanks

Alex

• Aerosoft
Hi, i am finding my DHC 6 impossible to fly.

1. I know this has been solved, the plane tending to turn to the right, but i am waiting for an update in the form of an installer (.exe) i am too nooby to try myself!

2. But most importantly, the plane has a ridiculous urge to pull up, especially in low revs, but even at any throttle range. This happens when my joystick is centred, or when i am fighting it. This pulling up can be rectified at flull speed, but is still noticeable and annoying. This makes it understandably impossible to land, or reallly do anything. I have checked that the pitch is set to 0, and have even tried changing it but to no avail.

This has never affected any other aircraft, only once it happened to the default Bombradier crj 700, but by pausing and unplugging and generally messing around i think i have stopped it. Please can you help fix a catastrophic problem to an otherwise excellent A/C.

Also, maybe my CRJ 700 isnt fixed and if not maybe there is something related, but as i sai my joystick functions normally when flying anything else.

Thanks

Alex

You mean the aircraft has a strong nose up attitude when you just fly it? That could only indicate the trim is not set as it should (close to neutral or below that). OR (as happens to me all the time) having the AP activated bu accident. As you fight the nose up with stick commands, the trim (being used by the AP) goes up and up. We do have issues with strong pitch commands on strong throttle movement on some machines but your problems sounds really different. Certainly not expected behavior.

Could you confirm the trim is in neutral or below neutral and that the AP is off?

i'll try setting a lower pitch, but i have checked whilst im flying, and you would expect if it were happening by autopilot that the pitch know would be moving, and ive seen no such thing. thanks for your help, i shall try and see what happens :)

P.S yes i can confirm the trim is in neutral, if by neutral your mean 0.0?

Yes 0.0 is neutral. Before I do anything else I set it to -4.5 (in that range) and it workes wonderfully so far. The Twotter still has that disctinc "strangeness" that she pulls to the different side as you'd expect but that is not unrealistic as far as I've read. Setting the trim to -4.5 keeps it very controllable though for me.

also, thanks by the way - i'll see if it helps, when installing the update, does the DHC 6 300 modern folder go into Airplanes on its own, or does it go in with Aerosoft Twin Otter 300? thanks if you can understand that :oops:

• Aerosoft
also, thanks by the way - i'll see if it helps, when installing the update, does the DHC 6 300 modern folder go into Airplanes on its own, or does it go in with Aerosoft Twin Otter 300? thanks if you can understand that :oops:

Just unzip the whole zip to the main FSX folder, it will all end up where it should be (in this case the modern folder does NOT go into the 300 folder)

hi, will reinstall the aircraft and the update, i may have done it wrong, but could have same effect. Unfortunately changing the pitch didnt help, maybe there is something in the .cfg that dosent like my pc?! Im afraid im stuck :cry:

I must admit my first few flights in the Twin Otter were very 'nose up'. Among the things I tried were:

Adjust the loading of the aircraft. Move the passengers from the back to the front of the aircraft.

Calibrate Joystick - huge difference which wasn't noticable in other aircraft.

-6.5 trim

10 degrees flap

Let the speed rise to 75 knots and then gently, very gently, lift the nose an inch or so, sit back and let the aircraft lift off. All you're interested in is keeping the airspeed below the flap limit.

500 ft agl and flaps off and then concentrate on a fixed rate of climb and start trimming nose down - a very little at a time - as the airspeed rises.

Might not be the right way but it makes for nice smooth take offs and leaves you free to study the handling of the aircraft. Each flight just gets better and better.

thanks for your help. i'll try it out, i dont actually know how to calibrete my jotstick, is this within fs, i think there maybe some software i can get from the saitek website. Also, how is the Twotter on landing, that is where i have my main problem, when slowing down the nose pitches up and to actually lose altitude i have to basically dive at the runway, making for some very unconvincing and uncomfortable landings.

Thanks,

Alex

Calibrate the joystick through Start > Settings > Control Panel > Game controller. and you can do it under that. Just follow the directions.

Landings, I'm still working on myself. The problem is to get from either level cruise speed or descending cruise speed to one where you can lower the flaps.

In level cruise I reduce the power, a very tiny bit, and counter the nose rise with some stick forward. The immediate effects of power off gets you some nose up but as the airspeed decays the nose comes down. So, it's power down, stick forward to counter, trim nose up, let it settle, power down etc.

Once I have the airspeed in the white zone I can deploy the flaps and that gives a rapid nose up followed by a descent. At this point I apply power and trim to either get a steady rate of descent or level flight. A little bit of anything gets you a lot of reaction so don't rush it.

If you want to descend from cruise altitude then I just trim nose down to give me the rate of descent I want. But, watch that because it seems to steadily increase as you get lower.

It seems you do have to almost drive the Twin Otter into the runway. So this makes your approach quite shallow. So far I've done little more than select an airfield and on each occasion I've made my approach lower by 500 feet. I just don't have enough information to say what is consistant and what is sheer good luck.

Flare gently. The Twin Otter will try to climb again if the nose goes beyond level. I find it's best to let the airspeed bleed off so it sinks gently onto the runway at about 70 knots - then raise the flaps so it doesn't lift off again.

That's how I'm doing it. If there is anyone out there with real experience of the aircraft I'd be grateful if you could spare the time to tell us where we're getting it very wrong.

Kind Regards,

Cliff

• Aerosoft
Calibrate the joystick through Start > Settings > Control Panel > Game controller. and you can do it under that. Just follow the directions.

Landings, I'm still working on myself. The problem is to get from either level cruise speed or descending cruise speed to one where you can lower the flaps.

In level cruise I reduce the power, a very tiny bit, and counter the nose rise with some stick forward. The immediate effects of power off gets you some nose up but as the airspeed decays the nose comes down. So, it's power down, stick forward to counter, trim nose up, let it settle, power down etc.

Once I have the airspeed in the white zone I can deploy the flaps and that gives a rapid nose up followed by a descent. At this point I apply power and trim to either get a steady rate of descent or level flight. A little bit of anything gets you a lot of reaction so don't rush it.

If you want to descend from cruise altitude then I just trim nose down to give me the rate of descent I want. But, watch that because it seems to steadily increase as you get lower.

It seems you do have to almost drive the Twin Otter into the runway. So this makes your approach quite shallow. So far I've done little more than select an airfield and on each occasion I've made my approach lower by 500 feet. I just don't have enough information to say what is consistant and what is sheer good luck.

Flare gently. The Twin Otter will try to climb again if the nose goes beyond level. I find it's best to let the airspeed bleed off so it sinks gently onto the runway at about 70 knots - then raise the flaps so it doesn't lift off again.

That's how I'm doing it. If there is anyone out there with real experience of the aircraft I'd be grateful if you could spare the time to tell us where we're getting it very wrong.

Kind Regards,

Cliff

We have found something in the model that causes these issues, it will be sorted out in update 1.10

Hello all,

I have a rather stupid question in this regards. I am not a friend of the cockpit quick infos (not very realistic). Is there any way to see the trim setting in the twotter without having the quick infos on. Once airborne, it is easy to trim "blind", but before take-off it is a bit difficult. How do the real Twinotter pilots do it, don't they have a painted line on the trimmer wheel or something alike?

• Aerosoft
Hello all,

I have a rather stupid question in this regards. I am not a friend of the cockpit quick infos (not very realistic). Is there any way to see the trim setting in the twotter without having the quick infos on. Once airborne, it is easy to trim "blind", but before take-off it is a bit difficult. How do the real Twinotter pilots do it, don't they have a painted line on the trimmer wheel or something alike?

Good question, need to find out.

so is this thing in the model that makes it pull up? i would have thought it affected everybody, or does it? Anyway im glad its getting sorted out.

I have installled 1.01 but it may have been a botch job, the plane still pulls to the right, will the new update fix this?

Thanks, I will be glad to be able to finally fly this wonderful aircraft without fighting with the controls! :D

The problem with aircraft is they are designed to fly. That's what they do best. The problem you have as a pilot is getting them from a state of none movement to a state of flying. It's these transitional states which cause the problems.

If you got a piece of string and put it through the nose of the Twin Otter and carried it straight back out through the tail you'd see the engines are above that line. Any push forward you get from the engines will also push down a bit as well because they are off centre. Add to that the drag from the shape of the fuselarge and it just gets worse. So, when you take the power off the aircraft has been pushing, via the trim controls, to counter the downward push of the engines. Therefore, power off means also a bit of nose up.

As much as you hate it, it is a characteristic of the aircraft. It's just that some believe it is too severe in the model of the Twin Otter when compared with the real one. So, any fix will have still some nose up when you reduce the power.

I find if I'm fighting the aircraft I'm usually fighting the wrong trim settings. Make small changes and be prepared to wait a few seconds for those changes to settle down. The first thing you observe with any change in trim settings might not be the final one. Small changes, wait, see what the final outcome is, is it what you want? work on from that.

The turn to the right is solved by a bit of alereon the opposite way. Take a look down between the seats to where the trim wheel is. See the little red rectangle to the right? That's aleron trim. Put the mouse pointer on it and scroll one click the the mouse wheel. One click at a time and see what effect it has.

Good Luck

Cliff