CTD and weird issues in MSFS Scenery Addons (EDDM, EDDK and many others Airports in Europe)

Rolfspan

The problem is .cgl photo scenery insert files in addon products, whether airports or not.

If an addon has such a file, as this one does, the simulator will CTD.

If the .cgl file is disabled by renaming its extension to .cgX, the simulator does not CTD.

It the addon does not have a .cgl file, the simulator does not CTD.

The change seems to have been overnight yesterday (Thursday into Friday) and the most likely explanation

is that Asobo made a change of some sort to their Bing Data.

This theory is supported somewhat by the fact that if Bing Data is switched off, the CTD does not happen.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the problem are not the cgl. files.

The problem is that the sim suddenly cannot handle them anymore,  which was fine for many versions now.

It's like buying a ferrari that is fine but after three month fiat comes around and replaces your ferrari with a fiat 500 without telling you before and giving you a good solution or saying "hey what's your problem??..you are still able to drive around".

I got about 400scenery. Most of them payware...and till this morning/or yesterday evening they all work.

And then Asobo decided that what was fine for long time, now isn't fine anymore.

(By the way not the first time they do this).

They simply have to keep in mind that there are other developers out there that are dependent on a quite stable base of the sim to do their work, and therefore they shouldn't turn suddenly things from left to the right.

And so there must be another quick solution...

As turning of Bing or turning of the photo scenery is like castration 

of the sim...sorry if I say it this clear.

We could then all switch back to P3D, FSX or XPlane

Same here. Turning off Bing Data, no CTS´s anymore. Since yesterday morning, had CTDs at AddOn Airports, like EDDK, EDDL , EDDM, LEVT , LEIB.  Hope there will be a fix from Asobo/Microsoft. Terrible look, withhout Bing Data :D, but tbh, it still works for now.

HI GUYS! This morning bought Munich (EDDM) airport for MFS2020 at Microsoft STORE. When I try to start ( loading) the flight in EDDM, simulator FULLY STOP working. I mean - CRASH!!!!!. 

I trying to fly-in EDDM.... then comes AEROPORT (EDDM) area, simulators crash TOO!

So, NOW try to OFF BING and report HERE. 

I am from Latvia. Plane was A320N (FBW)

this Morning has flight from Stuttgart (EDDS)  to HEATROW (EGLL) - no problem. EGLL-from ASOBO, EDDS - from  GRAVITY

vor 38 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

😮 Can you ist them? ;)

Sure I can - to be honest its also more than 400 although many are freeware too 😉
I got about 880 folders in my community folder which of tem 450 are airplane liveries.. the rest is scenery
115 of them I bought at aerosoft/simmarket and I got nearly all from ORBX and FSDreamteam and all thats summarised under Contrail (LVFR/Flightbeam/Jeststream/Dreamflight).
So all in all there surely is about 200 Payware and the rest Freeware (but also there are some sceneries that are affectetd).

But that's not the point..
The point is people develop things, other people spent money on these things.
And the main developer changes the rules suddenly (maybe by mistake, maybe having in not in his own hands) so all these nice things don´t work anymore.

And be sure I´m not blaming aerosoft or the developers...and also be sure I also already made my point clear in the MS forums ;-).

Hmm, since the entire simulator relies on Bing Data for its excellence, it makes more sense to either apply a temporary fix

or temporarily remove those that include a .cgl file until this problem is resolved.

So... not good! 

Loading on RWY ( without BING) - ok!

T/o & climb to  4000ft ( without BING) - ok!

5miles from EDDM turn ONN BING - ok! BING data start downloading. capture - nice.

Turned  back, ON FINAL ( 3miles from touchdown) turned OFF BING... -OK!

AND less then 1 miles from touchdown - CRASH simulator ( !!! with TURNED OFF!!! BING). 😞 

Juts wanted to second the OPs report.

EDDM worked perfectly until about last week. Yesterday - final approach - crash. Meanwhile I have not changed anything on my system or the Sim.

I am using multiple addons such as VATsim with FSUIPC so I thought that might be related. Started FS without any Addon running and removed all files (except EDDM) from my Community folder. CTD while loading, and then CTD while landing.

It will certainly not be my System Specs as every other Scenery works fine (R5 5600, RTX3080, 32GB, running off an SSD).

Any chance the file from the Marketplace works somewhat differently? If so, couldn't we just swap the Community file for a free Marketplace download?

3 hours ago, mynolix said:

Juts wanted to second the OPs report.

EDDM worked perfectly until about last week. Yesterday - final approach - crash. Meanwhile I have not changed anything on my system or the Sim.

I am using multiple addons such as VATsim with FSUIPC so I thought that might be related. Started FS without any Addon running and removed all files (except EDDM) from my Community folder. CTD while loading, and then CTD while landing.

It will certainly not be my System Specs as every other Scenery works fine (R5 5600, RTX3080, 32GB, running off an SSD).

Any chance the file from the Marketplace works somewhat differently? If so, couldn't we just swap the Community file for a free Marketplace download?

I concur.  I discovered this late Thursday night and have been in contact with one of the developers that is posting updates here.  I removed the EDDM folder and everything works fine, but I want to mention that I have not done any flights in Europe other than spawning at the gate in the MSFS default EDDM scenery, which was fine.  I did not taxi, nor fly from there.  Only to test and see if I still got a CTD. Today I purchased KEWR and did a flight from KMCO to KEWR and another from KEWR to KORD, all with live weather, but daylight time. No issues other than my low frame rates at times. I do believe that it may be issues that Asobo/MS need to address since the EDDM scenery was great in live weather and low visibility just days before.  I run everything at Ultra and a few selections on High and with 4K resolution.  System is a i9 10900K, RTX 3080, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD.

Mark

CTD Ibiza LEIB

Hi  I live in the UK, I have the most up to date Windows and MSFS versions, Aerosoft Ibiza has worked fine for months but this week I am suffering CTD during loading.

If I remove it all is ok.

If I remove all 3rd Party add-ons (Payware and Freeware) from Community Folder and have Aerosoft Ibiza installed only, it's the same, CTD during loading.

With Aerosoft Ibiza removed and all other Payware/Freeware add-ons installed in Community folder I can load default Ibiza for MSFS no problems. I only seem to be having CTD with Aerosoft Ibiza during loading and its only started happening during last week.

Help please!!!

• Deputy Sheriffs
21 minutes ago, GBOAC said:

CTD Ibiza LEIB

Hi  I live in the UK, I have the most up to date Windows and MSFS versions, Aerosoft Ibiza has worked fine for months but this week I am suffering CTD during loading.

If I remove it all is ok.

If I remove all 3rd Party add-ons (Payware and Freeware) from Community Folder and have Aerosoft Ibiza installed only, it's the same, CTD during loading.

With Aerosoft Ibiza removed and all other Payware/Freeware add-ons installed in Community folder I can load default Ibiza for MSFS no problems. I only seem to be having CTD with Aerosoft Ibiza during loading and its only started happening during last week.

Help please!!!

I suggest reading this topic. The answer is there.

Solution so far, to rename or delete the ".clg" files from the Airport AddOn Folders. 

I renamed them and now It works again with AddOn, Bing Data on and  without CTD´s .

What these files are for?`Anyway, played all day without ctds 🙂

Maybe a temporary solution for the victims of ctd´s since the last Dev Update.

On 13.2.2021 at 16:11, MrMad sagte:

Try following guys,

Load an Airport that crashes for u without Bing Data. When its loaded go to Options and activate Bing Data again. Now restart the Game. For now I could load into avery Airport again. Hope it works for u too.

Doesn't work for me, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, masterhawk said:

I suggest reading this topic. The answer is there.

Masterhawk

I think perhaps bad English on my part here.

Help Please was reference to Asobo etc and not aimed at Aerosoft.

I confirm I have read the post in full and am aware of the Developers inputs here.

We as a group need help sorting this out, I was not asking for individual help.

Sorry for any confusion or upset caused.

Hi

For info only: if I disable the .cgl file and call it (cgX) all works fine for me.

If I enable it again (.cgl) but start my flight in the air above Ibiza Town, all works fine and I can land and Take off from the airport.

If I enable it (.cgl) but start my flight from either end of the airport runway I get a CTD prior to scenery load.

I hope this information is of assistance.

• Developer

At the moment we all have three choices:

1: Rename the add on´s *.cgl file to *.OFF or whatever that it will not be loaded (This file contains the custom aerial pictures of the add ons)
   Downside: You have to do this for EVERY airport you use or maybe you´ll fly over during your flight. Mainly in central Europe. And you`ll have the
   default Bing aerial at your airport that may not match to the airport layout because it`s outdated or has wrong colors or else.

or 2: Turn the use of Bing maps off (The global solution)  Downside: No global aerial pictures

or 3: Wait until ASOBO gets this fixed. In two days a huge update is planned.

I`m sorry, but I do not see any other solutions so far. We developer cannot change anything as the aerials (*.CGL) are compiled with ASOBO SDK tools.
Nothing we could change or influence at all. And a lot of products from several different developers are affected.
There is no difference if the add on is bought from the MS marketplace or elsewhere. All versions are affected.

Thorsten

23 minutes ago, Autopiloth said:

At the moment we all have three choices:

1: Rename the add on´s *.cgl file to *.OFF or whatever that it will not be loaded (This file contains the custom aerial pictures of the add ons)
   Downside: You have to do this for EVERY airport you use or maybe you´ll fly over during your flight. Mainly in central Europe. And you`ll have the
   default Bing aerial at your airport that may not match to the airport layout because it`s outdated or has wrong colors or else.

or 2: Turn the use of Bing maps off (The global solution)  Downside: No global aerial pictures

I`m sorry, but I do not see any other solutions so far. We developer cannot change anything as the aerials (*.CGL) are compiled with ASOBO SDK tools.
Nothing we could change or influence at all. And a lot of products from several different developers are affected.
There is no difference if the add on is bought from the MS marketplace or elsewhere. All versions are affected.

Thorsten

Thorsten,

First of all, thank you for your quick replies. Many of us are all looking for solutions but the majority of answers are speculative and or temporary.  Your comments and recommendation here is the best reply on this thread.  It offers some alternatives, but also some hope. ;) The majority of us are impatient and want to continue to enjoy the Sim. For me I have not flown over Germany and Central Europe since our last message exchange, but my sim is working good in and over other countries, with the EDDM folder removed.  For now I have limited my flying to the continental US of A. I also have a lot of friends that live in Europe and are not able to enjoy flying over their local areas without a CTD with affected scenery. I am not sure if this current issue has affected the default airports, but it does suck for our friends over there. Hopefully this upcoming World Update and following Sim Update will address and resolve these problem areas and we can all go back to anticipating the next "new" aircraft or scenery release. :) 

Mark

• OPabst pinned and unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Autopiloth said:

Although it is upsetting that Bing team pushed such a change that caused issues for thousands of users without checks, I think this is the most sensible solution to do. I hope Microsoft/Asobo will offer us an explanation on what happened and how they shall prevent such things in the future.

• Developer
6 minutes ago, Omar Al-Safi said:

Although it is upsetting that Bing team pushed such a change that caused issues for thousands of users without checks, I think this is the most sensible solution to do. I hope Microsoft/Asobo will offer us an explanation on what happened and how they shall prevent such things in the future.

Total agree here: It is not only a unacceptable situation for all users with airport addons, it is a nogo situation for the developers too, who don’t change anything, but are the first address for this issue, but without any chance to react here.

In all times before (and with other Software too), when a Software update generate issues, the update can be reversed to the previous Version until a fix is available. Here the system is broken. 
A shutdown for all. Very frustrating for all parties.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived