A320 Trim Setting

dnunes

I am having occasional problems during the takeoff run of the A320. I usually use the same load and get, for my Europe flights, a trim of DN 0.9. The problem is that from time to time the aircraft refuses starting climb after reaching V2. This does not always happen. After having a problem of this type, I tried to take off again from the same runway, in the same conditions, and had no problems. I know I am not alone with this problem. What might be wrong?

Regards,

Domingos

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, dnunes said:

I know I am not alone with this problem.

Who else?

What exact version of the sim and what exact version of the Bus?

4 hours ago, mopperle said:

Who else?

What exact version of the sim and what exact version of the Bus?

At least two of my fellow simmers at BAV. My sim is P3Dv4.5 and the aircraft is the current Aerosoft A320.

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've never had this problem.  What steps do you do to setup the weight and trim?  When do you set the take off trim?

I take the trim from the Aerosoft Fuel Planner. I usually fly the A320 with a Zero Fuel Weight of 56500kg. After providing the departure and arrival airports I correct the Planned FL if necessary and then press Reset to get the Trim Value. I insert this value during the aircraft preparation and confirm that it stays there just before starting the Takeoff run.

26 minutes ago, dnunes said:

I take the trim from the Aerosoft Fuel Planner. I usually fly the A320 with a Zero Fuel Weight of 56500kg. After providing the departure and arrival airports I correct the Planned FL if necessary and then press Reset to get the Trim Value. I insert this value during the aircraft preparation and confirm that it stays there just before starting the Takeoff run.

Hmm.  Well, you will probaly notice that you can adjust the Center of Gravity in the Fuel Planner to get whichever trim you want (within reason), so let's just forget about that.  So long as the trim on the pedestal is in the green, you'll be okay.

I'm not sure where you're pressing reset, and I'm not clear on what you do in the the aircraft or when.  One thing you didn't mention you are doing / not doing is setting the weights in MCDU3 (Load Fuel Page), and then after you've loaded those weights (Pax, Cargo, Fuel) you must then ensure you have set the values on MCDU INIT Page 2.  Just prior to departure you'll want to verify the correct take off trim.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Best wishes.

Hello Dave,

I didn't know I could adjust the trim. Does this mean the aircraft load distribution will be adjusted to obtain the set CG? I always insert in the MCDU the loads (cargo and fuel) as well as the flaps/trim setting. In the pedestal I use the trim wheel to obtain the desired takeoff trim and I always confirm that the settings are correct before the T/O run. In my next flight I will adjust the CG to get a 0.0 trim.

As I said before the problem only happens from time to time. If it happens again with a 0.0 trim setting I will report it.

Thanks for your help. 

Regards,

Domingos

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you (keep)pressed „TO Config“ prior takeoff, there is a check of current CG, set trim and MCDU entered trim if these three are aligned. Also a check for green range is done. 
If there all is fine, there shouldn’t be any problem.

Hello Bob!

I always test the TO Config prior to takeoff! Today I used the Fuel Planner to adjust the CoG trim to 0.0. However, after sending the load sheet to the aircraft, the MCDU was showing UP 1.0. I used this value to adjust the Trim Wheel. The Takeoff was smooth, no problems. As I said initially, the problem does not occur at all times. For my next flights I will be careful and used these same values to check whether the problem happens again.

Regards,

Domingos

• Deputy Sheriffs

And you press always generate loadsheet after you adjusted everything in the fuelplaner?

Then there shouldn’t be any difference after you press INIT loadsheet in mcdu3.

5 hours ago, masterhawk said:

And you press always generate loadsheet after you adjusted everything in the fuelplaner?

Then there shouldn’t be any difference after you press INIT loadsheet in mcdu3.

Yes, I always generate the loadsheet after performing all settings. Otherwise I would not expect the values to be transferred to the aircraft.

4 hours ago, mopperle said:

And to add: often people did not choose the correct aircraft in the fuelplanner.

That could happen, but it is not the case: I very rarely use an aircraft other than the A320; the ZFW is also always the same: 56514kg.

How about making a short video showing the sequence and steps yu're doing?  I'm only asking because we're not aware of any issues with what you're experiencing.

Also, please don't rule out reinstaling and re-updating the aircraft, ensuring the computer security is first disabled and you run the installer and AS Updater  as Admin.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To make the procedure stated above more clear I prepared a flow chart for TRIM-setting. Please find this attached and follow exactly the described procedure. If something is working different on your system then I believe there is no other way to a complete new installation.

Regards,

Rolf

TRIM Setting.pdf

14 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

How about making a short video showing the sequence and steps yu're doing?  I'm only asking because we're not aware of any issues with what you're experiencing.

Also, please don't rule out reinstaling and re-updating the aircraft, ensuring the computer security is first disabled and you run the installer and AS Updater  as Admin.

Thanks Dave for your information. However,after reading the post by Rolf, I am pretty sure he has provided a crucial input: I would usually accept the Trim value after pushing the Reset button. But his information about bringing the value to the green zone (which I didn't know it existed) seems to change completely the situation: for my usual load values it will result in an UP trim, whereas I would always get a DOWN trim.

Thanks Rolf, it seems you have solved my problem (see my reply to Dave above). I will let you know if the problem happens again (I doubt!).

Kind Regards,

Domingos

Hello Rolf,

Today I followed carefully your instructions. I got an up trim of .6 and everything seemed perfect. However my takeoff out of Heathrow was not the best... As it had happened sometimes before the aircraft refused to rotate after V2!

So tomorrow I will follow Dave's advice and install a fresh copy of the bus.

Regards,

Domingos

Hello Rolf,

So I have uninstalled the A32x and performed the re-installation. So far two normal takeoffs... I will see whether it stays that way. I now have followed Rolf's flowchart carefully and intend to do it for my next flights.

Rolf, am I allowed to pass you flowchart to two of my BAV partners who are experiencing the same problem?

Regards,

Domingos

• Hanse locked this topic

Archived