Vol 1: AOM PART 1, General Information (version 0.99)

@Mathijs Kok I'm going throug the document, and I have first question. Often word 'Thrust' is used when I would rather expect 'Power'.

Ex. p 13 - Overhead panel - ELECTRICAL POWER panel is described in table as 'Electrical Thrust'.

Also GPU (or GPC, as Cart) is called Ground Thrust Cart (ex. in EFB section).

Is this intended? I would suspect some mistake in German->English translation.

About the mouse wheel requirement, are you sure that 3-way switches can't be operated with mouse clicks? As far as I know you can do that in other models the same way you can operate knobs. I understand why you want to stress the benefits of using a mouse wheel (is it even possible to buy a mouse without one these days?) but I question if it's really a requirement.

I am also wonder about the need for running the simulator as administrator? Is that really a thing with MSFS?

And finally I suggest being consistent with the use of either "the simulator" or "MSFS".

9 minutes ago, Fabri91 said:

A question: the text on the EFB itself will not be translated, right? So direct references to labels should stay untranslated, correct?

An image for reference of exactly what they mean ^^

Please login to display this image.

5 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

About the mouse wheel requirement, are you sure that 3-way switches can't be operated with mouse clicks? As far as I know you can do that in other models the same way you can operate knobs. I understand why you want to stress the benefits of using a mouse wheel (is it even possible to buy a mouse without one these days?) but I question if it's really a requirement.

Haha Yeah, I'm Just worrying about gjetting used to musewheel for switches now, that's gonna be weird. To remain on topic; Soooo, translation going well for everybody? 

7 hours ago, riskas123 said:

Haha Yeah, I'm Just worrying about gjetting used to musewheel for switches now, that's gonna be weird. To remain on topic; Soooo, translation going well for everybody? 

It's going well except that I'm struggling a bit with finding the balance between what to translate and what I should keep in English. For instance, I have translated "flight director" to Swedish but I'm thinking about changing it back to English again. For starters that's how it's called in the sim and if you only have read the Swedish translation I think it could be quite confusing.

48 minutes ago, zenit_swe said:

It's going well except that I'm struggling a bit with finding the balance between what to translate and what I should keep in English. For instance, I have translated "flight director" to Swedish but I'm thinking about changing it back to English again. For starters that's how it's called in the sim and if you only have read the Swedish translation I think it could be quite confusing.

Same, I'm doing norwegian and I keep everything in the sim (options, switches, filepaths etc in english). What would you even translate th FD to? 

3 minutes ago, riskas123 said:

Same, I'm doing norwegian and I keep everything in the sim (options, switches, filepaths etc in english). What would you even translate th FD to? 

I have translated it to "attitydindikator" 🙂 Actually I'm having a copy of "speciell förarinstruktion" for the JA-37 Viggen where I find a lot of Swedish terminology. Up to model A/B of the JAS-39 Gripen it was all Swedish in the cockpits and manuals, but from version C/D everything is NATO:fied with all English and I'm pretty sure that goes for civil aviation as well.

Perhaps there should be an appendix where these kind of terminology is explained in the translated languages? 

38 minutes ago, zenit_swe said:

I have translated it to "attitydindikator" 🙂 Actually I'm having a copy of "speciell förarinstruktion" for the JA-37 Viggen where I find a lot of Swedish terminology. Up to model A/B of the JAS-39 Gripen it was all Swedish in the cockpits and manuals, but from version C/D everything is NATO:fied with all English and I'm pretty sure that goes for civil aviation as well.

Perhaps there should be an appendix where these kind of terminology is explained in the translated languages? 

Maybe, I think it’s just less confusing if it’s in the same language in the cockpit and in the manual though. I don’t have the luxury of being in a country that produces it’s own planes event thought you’re only like 10 million people.

• Aerosoft
16 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

For now we'll keep that requirement.

• Aerosoft
15 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

I am also wonder about the need for running the simulator as administrator? Is that really a thing with MSFS?

And finally I suggest being consistent with the use of either "the simulator" or "MSFS".

We have seen issue by not running as admin with some parts.

14 hours ago, riskas123 said:

Been going well here, ran into a few complications like whether or not to translate something and finding a proper translation because some words can be difficult and don't necessarily mean the same thing. But overall, me and my partner have made great progress... and we're learning the aircraft on the way ;)

On page 1-1-32 it says "It also has only advisory vertical navigation (VNAV) capability". I wonder if this is correct? According to the document linked to below there is no such thing as "advisory vertical navigation", instead they describe "advisory vertical guidance":

Advisory Vertical Guidance

Depending on the manufacturer, WAAS-enabled GPS units might provide advisory vertical guidance in association with LP or LNAV minima. The manufacturer should use a notation to distinguish advisory vertical guidance (e.g. LNAV+V). The system includes an artificially created advisory glide path from the final approach fix to the touchdown point on the runway. The intent is to aid the pilot in flying constant descent to the MDA. LNAV+V is not the same as LNAV/VNAV or LPV. Pilots must use the barometric altimeter as the primary altitude reference to meet all altitude restrictions. Advisory vertical guidance is not required and is an optional capability.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/library/factsheets/media/RNAV_QFSheet.pdf

@Mathijs Kok Is this supposed to be "position" instead of "prescription"? page number 40, although may be a little different due to translations changing length...

gain, "position" is used right before, so maybe it isn't? I can try to rework it to make sense because translating the way it currently is doesn't make sense xD

14 minutes ago, Wuper said:

@Mathijs Kok Is this supposed to be "position" instead of "prescription"? page number 40, although may be a little different due to translations changing length...

gain, "position" is used right before, so maybe it isn't? I can try to rework it to make sense because translating the way it currently is doesn't make sense xD

I would say "regulations" or "restrictions"

"Mitsubishi has therefore automated many systems to release the pilots from routine procedures."

-Appendix 1, Systems catagory

The same appendix also states that the q400 is manufactured by mitsubishi, last time I checked the q400 line was owned by Longview Aviation Capital.

Yes, I know mitsubishi has the rights to the CRJ nowadays, but they bought it. Wouldn't it be better to say bombardier/canadair (as they're the ones who actually designed the planes, well the CRJ anyway, the q400 is a different story)? @Mathijs Kok(Yes, I know Alexander Metzger wrote it but I couldn't find his user on the forums)

Archived