EDDF Prof V5 - Runway Lights (brightness)

Hanse

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am using EDDF Professional V5 - Version 2.0.2.0 with P3D 5.1.12.26829 and are still struggeling with the runway lights during daytime and reduced visibility p.e. 3500 m - P3D EA = OFF -. I can barely see the lights when approaching (please see screenshot attached). Is there a way to enhance this or which P3D Lightning Settings you suggest to use. Thanks.

Rolf

Please login to display this image.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Checked in P3Dv4.5HF3 and i can see the lights only short before the runway. Conditions:

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

There is a general problem with Lightsources at daytime in P3D, special under bad weather condition. 
P3D has no real Lightsources, expect the default runway lights of the afcads.

In the old BGLC code useable in FS9/FSX, the „lightdot“ was existing, which could be controlled flexible in all conditions.

The afcad runwaylights are no real alternative, because they are no configurable to have a realistic runway and approach lights, only flat and not fitting to the need of the most airport situations.

Effects could not be used, as they will bring down the performance and are not able to have a one direction facing, which is needed for approachlights and the different colors of the run edge lights.

So, the only way is the texture based solution we used in EDDF, but also in the most other professional addons. This is fine in darkness, but at daytime the selflighting is in some conditions maybe to dark to be good visible. But there is no real solution possible yet.

When you have the new Sim-wings Pro Hamburg or Munich Addons, then you can try it there, because we have an option there, to switch the intensity of the runwaylights in the possible range (see Button in the baseline of the Configtools). Maybe the 100% there is better, then the actual intensity used for Frankfurt. 
When is time, I will try to implement this option in Frankfurt too.

• Developer
49 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Hi @OPabst, have you tried the BGLC lights in v5? I know support was canceled in v4.

But I noticed that old SCASM scenery is working again in v5.

No and it is not a solution, as it has no future.

And BGLC is and was generally working over all versions and does it in V5, the Safegates display still use it (but here I can switch when needed)

But for the runwaylights Tranform/RotationCalls are very important, otherwise it will be extrem complex and slow performing. And this was brocken somewhere in P3D V3 times and I don‘t expect, that this really as changed. And without Intelliscene it will not be contollable under weatherconditions.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Oliver,

thanks for the indepth explanation. I also own SimWings Pro EDDH v5 and just checked the feature you described. It is really an improvement, setting the value to 100%. So it would be great, if EDDF would be updated to the same level e. g. also include the possibility to set the runway brightness to 100%. Looking foward to it.

Regards,

Rolf

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to chip in in case there was consideration for upgrading the lights. Like Rolf explains I too have a terrible time approaching Frankfurt in low vis. Autumn is always the time this shows out the most. Would be great if this could get changed at some point as EDDF is my base.

Regards

Chris

• 1 year later...
Am 21.11.2021 um 20:19 schrieb christinney:

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to chip in in case there was consideration for upgrading the lights. Like Rolf explains I too have a terrible time approaching Frankfurt in low vis. Autumn is always the time this shows out the most. Would be great if this could get changed at some point as EDDF is my base.

Regards

Chris

+1 

That would be a very useful feature for any airport!

Michael