Aerosoft Aircraft - A330 Preview

Message added by Tom,

Aerosoft A330 Preview

Please read the FAQ prior to posting.

Have a livery request? Check out the Livery Request thread here.

To be honest I’m just ready for a quality A321 then a A319… the A320 can be the last one since there’s already two on the market at the moment. Im really looking forward to seeing more progress on the rest of the A32X family! Tired of flying the A320 all the time… I need the A321 in my life 🥹

• Upvote 3

Oh guys.   Let’s talk about what’s really important, shall we?   Mathijs can you tell us the kind of red wine your enjoying on the YouTube interview with Blu and XP72.   Looked good.  
All kidding aside.   Can’t wait to fly your bird.   Looks like it’s going to be great. I had the aerosoft a320 series for p3dv3.  No A330 for my version of p3d so I’ve waited a long time.  As a long time customer I can say it will be worth the wait.  Thanks Mathijs and team 

10 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It has been a serious time since I did a 'Friday evening post with a glass of wine' but let me give it a shot.

So it is Friday evening 19:16, I got a bottle of rather nice red open and as my wife is still on vacation I can play the Talking Heads (Remain in Light) as loud as I want. It has been a stressful week. And things will not get easier until we release. 

This week we moved from pure development and showing our code only to pilot friends to showing it to a larger group of people. People who are not pilots.  Not really customers (that is in a later stage of the beta) but still, we show our cards for the first time. Some people call that beta. I do not buy the whole alpha/beta/release candidate idea because I feel a product like this, where the dev team is so close to customers is far more fluid. A release is just a point, the product does not stop developing. The key is to get that point right. And let me tell you, you never get that right. The life of a project manager sucks balls. Pity me.

Talking Heads finished.  Spend some time looking at my records and decided on "In the Wee SmallHours"
by Sinatra. I am an audiophile and I know that album is perfect for my fully analog setup

So, we are in the beta stage. Normally that means you have all parts of the product ready and are testing.  Not the case with this project at this moment. But we need to know where we are, what works and what does not. With that information, we can decide where to focus our scarce resources. 

Modeling, texturing, and almost all animations are solid. No worries about that.  In fact, Stefan and Anne are already working on the next bus. 

Flight modeling, Engine modeling, and FADEC were massive issues, but we are 99% sure we can get within 3% of correct behavior. Any pilot will tell you that is fine as one airframe differs from another. Having two engines on one aircraft that differ by 3% is fine. Don't be mistaken, 3% is pretty much state-of-the-art. 

Manuals and E-manual are more or less okay. The PDF manuals will be fine and available on release, the E-manual which is one of the highlights of the project as we want to get even beginners to be able to fly the A330 will be available but will need to be updated with the latest changes in code.

Autopilot still needs work but is basically not very complex. It flies the route, does a cool ILS intercept, and lands fine.

Systems are more or less okay. This is one area where you can spend another 20 years because where the real aircraft just has to display what is happening, we need to model why it happens. So when a computer decides the cabin needs to be heated a bit, a system will divert heat from an engine to a heat exchanger and feed the warmed air to the cabin. That means the engine will be affected, the electrical system will be involved and that means the generators will need to provide a bit more power. And that drops the thrust of the engine. See the complexity? We have a whopping lot of that code running because of some professional spin-offs of the bus projects. It's there and somewhere in Germany, a developer is crying because no customer will ever see it. 

EFB, we are very proud of the EFB.  and while we need some tweaks, all is well. Navigraph, NavDataPro, weather, runway data, simbrief integration, are all working. I just love to be able to update the weather data automatically before planning an arrival, The fact we incorporated our own sat imagery so you can be sure you are doing your taxi route okay.. cool.

Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue. Possibly the finest record ever made. Refilled my glass.

MCDU, LNAV, VNAV... That is where we have most work open. Logically as it is by far the most complex part of the aircraft. LNAV seems to work, VNAV not so much but we know what we need to do. 

ECAMS, loads of tweaks in fonts, placement, and things like that open (we had some bad luck in that part) but it is not code that affects flight.  Still one of my main worries now.

Marketplace. This is the work you need to do to get something on the Marketplace. Not only contracts but a whopping lot of things you have to add. Not complex but I still need a few days on that for sure.

Installer/Protection. With our own Aerosoft One system that is tried and tested (our DRM has not been hacked and has next to makes life for the customer easier (no need to enter any serial!s)) we are not worried about that at all. 

Support, they are fully included in the testing so they should know what they need.

Marketing. This department will be getting all information from me very soon.  They will invite streamers to have a look at the product before release and get the word out to websites and magazines.

Sales still have to make sure that all our associate sale channels get all the marketing data and on release the files.

We'll get there!

I'm very happy that you are able to share the current development progress with the community, and as an avid flight simmer, I'm excited to fly this exquisite "big bird" in the next few months!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It has been a serious time since I did a 'Friday evening post with a glass of wine' but let me give it a shot.

So it is Friday evening 19:16, I got a bottle of rather nice red open and as my wife is still on vacation I can play the Talking Heads (Remain in Light) as loud as I want. It has been a stressful week. And things will not get easier until we release. 

This week we moved from pure development and showing our code only to pilot friends to showing it to a larger group of people. People who are not pilots.  Not really customers (that is in a later stage of the beta) but still, we show our cards for the first time. Some people call that beta. I do not buy the whole alpha/beta/release candidate idea because I feel a product like this, where the dev team is so close to customers is far more fluid. A release is just a point, the product does not stop developing. The key is to get that point right. And let me tell you, you never get that right. The life of a project manager sucks balls. Pity me.

Talking Heads finished.  Spend some time looking at my records and decided on "In the Wee SmallHours"
by Sinatra. I am an audiophile and I know that album is perfect for my fully analog setup

So, we are in the beta stage. Normally that means you have all parts of the product ready and are testing.  Not the case with this project at this moment. But we need to know where we are, what works and what does not. With that information, we can decide where to focus our scarce resources. 

Modeling, texturing, and almost all animations are solid. No worries about that.  In fact, Stefan and Anne are already working on the next bus. 

Flight modeling, Engine modeling, and FADEC were massive issues, but we are 99% sure we can get within 3% of correct behavior. Any pilot will tell you that is fine as one airframe differs from another. Having two engines on one aircraft that differ by 3% is fine. Don't be mistaken, 3% is pretty much state-of-the-art. 

Manuals and E-manual are more or less okay. The PDF manuals will be fine and available on release, the E-manual which is one of the highlights of the project as we want to get even beginners to be able to fly the A330 will be available but will need to be updated with the latest changes in code.

Autopilot still needs work but is basically not very complex. It flies the route, does a cool ILS intercept, and lands fine.

Systems are more or less okay. This is one area where you can spend another 20 years because where the real aircraft just has to display what is happening, we need to model why it happens. So when a computer decides the cabin needs to be heated a bit, a system will divert heat from an engine to a heat exchanger and feed the warmed air to the cabin. That means the engine will be affected, the electrical system will be involved and that means the generators will need to provide a bit more power. And that drops the thrust of the engine. See the complexity? We have a whopping lot of that code running because of some professional spin-offs of the bus projects. It's there and somewhere in Germany, a developer is crying because no customer will ever see it. 

EFB, we are very proud of the EFB.  and while we need some tweaks, all is well. Navigraph, NavDataPro, weather, runway data, simbrief integration, are all working. I just love to be able to update the weather data automatically before planning an arrival, The fact we incorporated our own sat imagery so you can be sure you are doing your taxi route okay.. cool.

Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue. Possibly the finest record ever made. Refilled my glass.

MCDU, LNAV, VNAV... That is where we have most work open. Logically as it is by far the most complex part of the aircraft. LNAV seems to work, VNAV not so much but we know what we need to do. 

ECAMS, loads of tweaks in fonts, placement, and things like that open (we had some bad luck in that part) but it is not code that affects flight.  Still one of my main worries now.

Marketplace. This is the work you need to do to get something on the Marketplace. Not only contracts but a whopping lot of things you have to add. Not complex but I still need a few days on that for sure.

Installer/Protection. With our own Aerosoft One system that is tried and tested (our DRM has not been hacked and has next to makes life for the customer easier (no need to enter any serial!s)) we are not worried about that at all. 

Support, they are fully included in the testing so they should know what they need.

Marketing. This department will be getting all information from me very soon.  They will invite streamers to have a look at the product before release and get the word out to websites and magazines.

Sales still have to make sure that all our associate sale channels get all the marketing data and on release the files.

We'll get there!

Excellent and very insightful update.

Thank you.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GermanSimPilot said:

Good evening Mathijs,

right now i am listening "Blue in Green", lovely smooth jazz, thanks for sharing this :)

Also thank you for sharing the latest info regarding the A330. I wish you all the best and headache free time. For now i remain seated on glowing coals (german saying :D) and waiting for release.

And I'm listening at my top favourite jazz pianist, Bill Evans! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We'll get there!

Great update on the development of the plane, but more notably, a live update of your friday evening! 

A bit off topic but do ever spin any Dave Brubeck quartet records?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Carl Järvholm MAGYe said:

Take Five is one my wife's and my favorite "our songs."

@Carl Järvholm MAGYe Thanks for the updates on progress. Excited for this baby in my hangar.

I don't want to get too far over our skis but I couldn't help but notice you said in your first paragraph, the next bus. You can't just drop a bomb like that and run, man! Do we know (I know you know) what the next bus is by chance? I don't recall a roadmap mentioning it yet but there's been a lot of traffic, so I could've missed it.

PS...great selections for music.

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We'll get there!

Bedankt voor het maken van mijn ochtend, Mathijs.

Dit is werkelijk een vliegtuig waarvan ik reeds geruime tijd droomde om het te mogen bezitten in mijn virtuele hangar. Mijn hartelijke dank gaat uit naar de ontwikkelteams voor hun gedegen arbeid, en naar u voor het bieden van de mogelijkheid om dit prachtige vliegtuig in ons bezit te krijgen. Ik kan nauwelijks wachten om het te verwelkomen.

2 hours ago, DFWSupertrooper said:

Take Five is one my wife's and my favorite "our songs."

@Carl Järvholm MAGYe Thanks for the updates on progress. Excited for this baby in my hangar.

I don't want to get too far over our skis but I couldn't help but notice you said in your first paragraph, the next bus. You can't just drop a bomb like that and run, man! Do we know (I know you know) what the next bus is by chance? I don't recall a roadmap mentioning it yet but there's been a lot of traffic, so I could've missed it.

PS...great selections for music.

They haven't announced specifically what it is, although judging by what Mathijs said on stream, I'd expect it to be something for the 320 family. Which one of that? Only AS know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flightstreamer said:

Incredible progress!! Thanks for sharing the progress, Mathijs. Looking forward to the ultimate Cross-the-pond airplane :)

I suspect that if this plane releases before CTP a vast majority of the MSFS players would be flying this thing haha!

I certainly would be ;)

11 minutes ago, Dr_Martin said:

I suspect that if this plane releases before CTP a vast majority of the MSFS players would be flying this thing haha!

I certainly would be ;)

I flew the P3D version in CTP Eastbound last year, so I'd love to fly this one in this year's Eastbound :)

Great work Mathjis, I'm really looking forwards to this now :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Martin said:

I certainly would be ;)

100% agreed :) I flew Headwind A330, it wasn't bad actually, but this would be the BEST airplane for CTP. Hopefully, it gets released before the event. By the looks of the progress, it's fairly close it seems. I'd be happy with a better quality, so will patiently wait :)

50 minutes ago, flightstreamer said:

100% agreed :) I flew Headwind A330, it wasn't bad actually, but this would be the BEST airplane for CTP. Hopefully, it gets released before the event. By the looks of the progress, it's fairly close it seems. I'd be happy with a better quality, so will patiently wait :)

We'll also have the MD-11 if you want to fly something that's a little out of left field in terms of normal haha

TFDi are anticipating a September Release for their MD-11

Hace 35 minutos, Dr_Martin dijo:

También tendremos el MD-11 si quieres volar algo que está un poco fuera del campo izquierdo en términos de normalidad jaja

TFDi está anticipando un lanzamiento en septiembre para su MD-11

You're right, if it came out before the A330, the people who bought the MD-11 in the pre-sale, people would get acquainted with the aircraft 2 months before the final launch. That would be an advantage for lovers of the md 11. But I hope that the A330 and the md 11 will come out at the same time to practice and then decide which one to fly for the CTP.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:37 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

...a developer is crying because no customer will ever see it. 

Congratulations on entering beta! One question though, does this mean that the consumer grade product will skip on some simulation aspects or is this because the average customer just won't notice the depth?

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Daniel Regueira Filgueiras:

You're right, if it came out before the A330, the people who bought the MD-11 in the pre-sale, people would get acquainted with the aircraft 2 months before the final launch. That would be an advantage for lovers of the md 11. But I hope that the A330 and the md 11 will come out at the same time to practice and then decide which one to fly for the CTP.

Dont forget the PMDG 777, which is also approaching beta phase.

• Upvote 3

On 4/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Hi Mathis and thank you for the great insight.  I cannot wait to get this bird in my hands.  I am however curious about this comment regarding VNAV.  Is this primarily an ASOBO issue?  I have seen other developers dealing with VNAV as well and was hoping you could elaborate some on this!

Again thanks for the great insight and keep up the great work!

On 4/21/2023 at 7:02 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

One good thing about starting a beta is that you get some nice imagery. Please note I have told testers not to share images of the flight deck at this moment as there is a lot of tweaking needed.

Please login to display this image.

Do click on the images, they are pretty large.

It might just be the lighting in these images, but I think the skin of the aircraft looks a bit too smooth. On the external models of the PMDG 737 and Fenix A320 you can see a lot of structure on the fuselage in certain lighting conditions. 

• Aerosoft
On 4/22/2023 at 1:50 PM, Carl Järvholm MAGYe said:

Great update on the development of the plane, but more notably, a live update of your friday evening! 

Not a big fan, but I do play it when driving long distances.

Fantastic news, really looking forward to this now. One toddler and one on the way so for the summer i get a few months to fly. I havent flown since last summer as i'm in college 3 nights a week after work.

I just wonder why its not Ramstein you are listening to? :D

• Aerosoft
On 4/23/2023 at 1:58 AM, blanderrr said:

Congratulations on entering beta! One question though, does this mean that the consumer grade product will skip on some simulation aspects or is this because the average customer just won't notice the depth?

Basically the second. Things like the temperature of the fuel, that does affect things (for example it's density) but that is not something a simmer (or even a pilot) is bothered by. 

• Like 1