GCLA La Palma AI Traffic not landing flying too high

Rylabics

Dear people 

I refer to the product Canary Islands professional - La Palma of sim-wings for P3dV5. I like the airport, the problem is that the AI traffic is flying too high in the approach to La Palma and finally does not succeed to land causing a lot of go arounds and to lose the inmersion of the AI traffic. That is an old issue that I have found in some discussions in several forums in internet. Unfortunatelly, the apparently best solution proposed to add an ILS to the airport with the airport design editor did not help in my case. Strangely, this problem is there since 2013 and I wonder why the developers did not solve it already. I am not very proficience with P3D that could be the reason also. 

Thanks 

Update: After some changes (extended ILS) in the added ILS the smaller AI aircraft like ATR can land with some difficulties. The bigger like Airbus and Boeing cannot land.

• Developer

I have checked it, but there is no solution yet, even with the default approaches is no landing possible. As the afcads only have the runway and appoaches, not the area parts, I don‘t have an idea, how to change the situation, which is as old as the sim. The issue is known for years now. I will try some other tricks, when I have time for it.

Thanks Oliver for the answer. 

I wonder how does it work. Is there a file that shows the AI aircraft which height to have in each part of the approach? Which file is it?

I was observing that bigger aircraft (like A320) do not land either in the default airport. The problem is that the height restriction of 4500 ft at CQ36 in the picture below is not respected and the aircraft is at this point at about 6500ft. From this point is practically impossible to have a good approach. I wonder where the height of 4500ft is defined for the AI aircraft. Maybe it is this value bad defined for CQ36

Please login to display this image.

In some forums I saw that it was spoken about a file that can be changed to solve it but I did not find this file in the version for P3DV5 and I dont know if is the same like in FSX. These are the files I see in the scenery folder of GCLA Sim-wings:

• Developer

The scenery (not only La-Palma) only contains the call „Afcad“ (Airport Facilities Data). In case of Sim-wings it is call GCLA_ADEV5-OP01.bgl (The Afx_GCLA_with_AI_ILS.BGL is not part of the product and will be now part of your issue, as it is generating a double Afcad here, remove it).

In V5 you should not use AFX (based on the name of your file) to edit Afcad. AFX is not V5 compatible an kill the cat) Only the newest ADE Version for V5 can be used (when you know what you do). Make a backup from the original file first and never have to afcads active the same time.

But the afcad is not the issue here, because the afcad has the runway and groundlayout, which is not relevant for the AI Traffic handling in the approach.

The runways are only relevant for the heading, begin and end etc. 

The second part in the Afcad, which could be relevant, are the approach definitions. But as I know and seen until now, only he „ILS“ approaches are used in combi with the ILS data assigned to the runways (if existing)
In this case, the aircraft follow the IlS Path short before the final landing (more or less).

The correct ILS approach is not flown, it is only the indicator for the engine, that there is a Ils available to be used as base. 
But as you saw, the ils alone does not help in La Palma.

What I expect is, that data define the airspace around the Island are the issue here. The onroute traffic approach the island will keep at a to high altitude, so that the switch to the decent on the path to then runway will fail.

I never had to do something with this data, but they seams to he part of the BGLs in the scenery/xxxx folders of the sim standard folders.

The definition if his parts in the sdk never changed significantly since FS9, same as the AI Engine itself. The only changes in P3DV5 is the add of a Altitude Value to all Taxipoints and other vertexes to add the possibility of sloped runways and aprons, the rest is all the same.

The only possible chance I see, but is very complex to implement: two fake ILS beside the airport, with a heading to the ocean, special for the Runway 18, that will end in a final turn to the runway heading just short before the airport.

This I had implemented in Madeira, the fake the turn approach to rw05.

Many thanks Oliver for the explanation.

You are right I had a file there that was not part of the original. I have tested many things...

I will try to make a second ILS in Runway 36. I hope the way I do it is the correct one with the airport design editor and then find the scenery file of GCLA. I added the ILS and compiled it and finally replaced in the folder shown below:

Oliver could you please put here the file with the two ILS for La Palma or at least the bgl file for Madeira so that I see what you mean with double ILS. I made now a test with a double ILS but I have the impresion that is not working....

Thanks! 

• Developer

That is only the default airport file, contians the local airport data for the default La Palma Airport, which is not include the data for the airspace around and is override by the Afcad file of the airport addon. 

It is not an issue you can fix based on this knowledge, even I am not sure to fix it with 35 years of investing time in this sim technology ;)

Ok I see what you mean. I tried with the ILS and this does not affect the addon airport. Although I see the ILS in the P3D window when choosing the airport. Nevermind, there is then another equivalent (to the default one) in the addon airport folder with the elevation, is that correct? Is there a way to try here to make something similar with the ILS or something else?

Archived