Jump to content

A330: Cruise Sounds


Recommended Posts

Hey Guys, 

 

I've recently gotten back into flying the A330 and have really been enjoying it. One simple thing that's been on my mind is that the internal sounds during cruise are just slightly off to a true cruise sound environment. As the airplane starts accelerating to a higher IAS after 10000ft, the rumble of the engines starts gradually drowning out as the wind sounds pick up. By the time cruising altitude has been reached, the engines' sound is almost a 100% inaudible - however, in the AS330, you can constantly hear the whine of the engines at cruise power, even if wind sounds are incorporated and gradually start becoming louder as the airplane climbs. This is a feature many new addons being released today are incorporating. As someone who flies pretty frequently IRL, I personally believe an overhauled engine/wind environment with improved mixing dependent on altitude and airspeed would increase the immersion/accuracy by a lot. I am aware that the sounds have been done by TSS, but a change like this will bring this addon up to par with some of the best in the market right now - especially in terms of audio immersion. I hope this is something that can be looked at for a future update!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I actually asked how I could turn down the volume of the engines, because they are so loud in the cockpit that I thought it was some setting in the aircraft, but nope. The solution was to adjust the sound settings of P3D and set the volume of the engines to 11. The others to 50. It's not very realistic, but it's much better than default. I used to fly a lot in an A330 before COVID and I found default sound so annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Deputy Sheriffs

The sounds is not easy to make it right.

Yes at cruise the wind is more important than the engines, especially in the cockpit.

But if we do it 100% correct, the customers start blaming why they can’t hear the engines. The minority has the required knowledge. And as we want to sell the product some items are more tuned to what customers request/expect, also because some reviewers lack the required knowledge.

That was recently discussed in the CRJ MSFS preview topic.

 

Changing the P3D sound settings is a good workaround.

Maybe for MSFS it will be different. But for P3D won’t change anything now.

And please, don’t start a new discussion about it. It was discussed several times in past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, masterhawk said:

The sounds is not easy to make it right.

Yes at cruise the wind is more important than the engines, especially in the cockpit.

But if we do it 100% correct, the customers start blaming why they can’t hear the engines. The minority has the required knowledge. And as we want to sell the product some items are more tuned to what customers request/expect, also because some reviewers lack the required knowledge.

That was recently discussed in the CRJ MSFS preview topic.

 

Changing the P3D sound settings is a good workaround.

Maybe for MSFS it will be different. But for P3D won’t change anything now.

And please, don’t start a new discussion about it. It was discussed several times in past.

Is there any discussion at Aerosoft to try and code the MSFS versions of these aircraft to fade out the engine sounds as altitude increases? PMDG and FSLabs both do this but they are also in a different price range.  In the meantime I've been doing what you suggested, I just lower the P3D engine volume once I reach cruise level in the A330 so that I no longer hear the loud buzzsaw sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bigt said:

Is there any discussion at Aerosoft to try and code the MSFS versions of these aircraft to fade out the engine sounds as altitude increases? PMDG and FSLabs both do this but they are also in a different price range.  In the meantime I've been doing what you suggested, I just lower the P3D engine volume once I reach cruise level in the A330 so that I no longer hear the loud buzzsaw sound.

 

I created a code for this, I'm not a developer and it took me literally 30 minutes. I'm sure AS can figure it out. If you skip to when the aircraft accelerates above 10k how the fan is almost inaudible. Very realistic!
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, atav757 said:

 

I created a code for this, I'm not a developer and it took me literally 30 minutes. I'm sure AS can figure it out. If you skip to when the aircraft accelerates above 10k how the fan is almost inaudible. Very realistic!
 

 

Well let's hope Aerosoft comes to their senses and starts coding this as other developers are doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Bigt said:

Well let's hope Aerosoft comes to their senses and starts coding this as other developers are doing.

 

Maybe they'll consult me xD But in all seriousness I showed my friend how to do all this coding.. look at the amazing stuff we've done with the AS Airbus sounds:
 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 5:21 PM, atav757 said:

Maybe they'll consult me xD But in all seriousness I showed my friend how to do all this coding.. look at the amazing stuff we've done with the AS Airbus sounds:

Hey AT, 

 

From Aerosoft's response it doesn't seem like they'll be willing to work on something like this (I really want to know what 'subgroup' of customers thinks engine sounds are as audible in cruise as they are on departure, lol). That A320 CFM sounds absolutely amazing - are those based off the default CFM soundpack, or is that BSS?

 

Either way, it'd be amazing if you could try working on something similar for the A330 at some point and release it as an unofficial mod. 

 

Love your work, been using your mods since the first version of the CS757 sound project. Keep it up!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SteamingSpoon said:

Hey AT, 

 

From Aerosoft's response it doesn't seem like they'll be willing to work on something like this (I really want to know what 'subgroup' of customers thinks engine sounds are as audible in cruise as they are on departure, lol). That A320 CFM sounds absolutely amazing - are those based off the default CFM soundpack, or is that BSS?

 

Either way, it'd be amazing if you could try working on something similar for the A330 at some point and release it as an unofficial mod. 

 

Love your work, been using your mods since the first version of the CS757 sound project. Keep it up!

 

Thanks for the words! I don't have the AS A330 but my friend Nick does (who I collaborate with). Maybe he'll try it out when he's done with the 320s. His sounds are actually 100% his. He has probably GBs of aircraft engine sound recordings which he uses to make them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AT, I'm using your sounds in the CS757 now and love them! I agree with SteamingSpoon, you guys should totally work on something for the A330, especially since Aerosoft will likely give some excuse about how it can't be done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AVFC said:

May I suggest noise reduction headset..

I have my sounds routed to a Klipsch home theater system so for me, no. How about Aerosoft add the feature like other devs or like AT has coded himself?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bigt said:

I have my sounds routed to a Klipsch home theater system so for me, no. How about Aerosoft add the feature like other devs or like AT has coded himself?

Fully agree. The climb/cruise engine sound (both on A320 and A330) is annoying and tiring. The workaround for me is to adjust speaker volume based on flightphase.

I don't think that AS will invest time/money on non MSFS products, all ressources seems to be focus on the new platform.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

What you at Aerosoft are saying, is that your customers do not have sufficient knowledge to know that the engine noise disappears almost completely after the plane accelerates above FL100? I mean, if some people don't get it, it's their loss. A simulation is, per definition a copy of reality. I'd rather have the correct sounds than getting a cup of coffee served.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, masterhawk said:

The sounds is not easy to make it right.

Yes at cruise the wind is more important than the engines, especially in the cockpit.

But if we do it 100% correct, the customers start blaming why they can’t hear the engines. The minority has the required knowledge. And as we want to sell the product some items are more tuned to what customers request/expect, also because some reviewers lack the required knowledge.

That was recently discussed in the CRJ MSFS preview topic.

 

Changing the P3D sound settings is a good workaround.

Maybe for MSFS it will be different. But for P3D won’t change anything now.

And please, don’t start a new discussion about it. It was discussed several times in past.

I'm sorry but I absolutely disagree with this. Anyone who has ever flown inside an airplane would think that there is something wrong with the sounds as they are currently implemented. PMDG and FSLabs (And I expect some other developers, I just haven't flown a lot of the new addons) implemented realistic engine sounds and I have not heard an ounce of negative criticism. Lowering engine sounds in the P3D settings would mess up mixing for other products, and also lower engine sounds during takeoff/landing. Where you want them...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, atav757 said:

 

Thanks for the words! I don't have the AS A330 but my friend Nick does (who I collaborate with). Maybe he'll try it out when he's done with the 320s. His sounds are actually 100% his. He has probably GBs of aircraft engine sound recordings which he uses to make them.

Just wanted to say that I would second a soundmod. I am not familiar with your work but will certainly be giving it a look now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, but I'd kinda like to see how much interest there is on here for me to actually make an A330 adaptation of my sound packs I am working on for the A320.

 

In all honesty if I was able to make this with some help from atav757 up there with the base code template and systems logic by myself, I don't see how a sim developer can't do it. The excuse that it is very hard is, well, garbage... I basically did it by myself (the sound files and all the calibrations and calculations) and while it has taken me a long time, it's not like it is going to be a source of income for me so I haven't ever really worked expediently on it. If I was a developer getting an income off of it, it would've been done rather quickly and it probably woudl've been easier to make with better equipment developers get. 

 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-A0Msz37qo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey if it's anything this will come out for free one day and the nice part is if Aerosoft provided something this accurate they'd charge even more than they already do for it, and like any developer out there, it still wouldn't be as good because they all have to make concessions to market their product on time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While maneuvering the A320, I hear the sound of turning pages and coughing. Please tell me how to erase this.

A320を操縦中に ページをめくる音や咳をする音が聞こえるのです。これを消す方法を 教えてください。

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, 767333ER said:

Sorry for the bump, but I'd kinda like to see how much interest there is on here for me to actually make an A330 adaptation of my sound packs I am working on for the A320.

 

In all honesty if I was able to make this with some help from atav757 up there with the base code template and systems logic by myself, I don't see how a sim developer can't do it. The excuse that it is very hard is, well, garbage... I basically did it by myself (the sound files and all the calibrations and calculations) and while it has taken me a long time, it's not like it is going to be a source of income for me so I haven't ever really worked expediently on it. If I was a developer getting an income off of it, it would've been done rather quickly and it probably woudl've been easier to make with better equipment developers get. 

 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-A0Msz37qo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey if it's anything this will come out for free one day and the nice part is if Aerosoft provided something this accurate they'd charge even more than they already do for it, and like any developer out there, it still wouldn't be as good because they all have to make concessions to market their product on time.

I'd be interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, 767333ER said:

Sorry for the bump, but I'd kinda like to see how much interest there is on here for me to actually make an A330 adaptation of my sound packs I am working on for the A320.

 

In all honesty if I was able to make this with some help from atav757 up there with the base code template and systems logic by myself, I don't see how a sim developer can't do it. The excuse that it is very hard is, well, garbage... I basically did it by myself (the sound files and all the calibrations and calculations) and while it has taken me a long time, it's not like it is going to be a source of income for me so I haven't ever really worked expediently on it. If I was a developer getting an income off of it, it would've been done rather quickly and it probably woudl've been easier to make with better equipment developers get. 

 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-A0Msz37qo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey if it's anything this will come out for free one day and the nice part is if Aerosoft provided something this accurate they'd charge even more than they already do for it, and like any developer out there, it still wouldn't be as good because they all have to make concessions to market their product on time.

 

Please do this! It's clear Aerosoft has no intentions of working on this, so a soundpack at the quality of ATs and your work would be much appreciated. The sounds are the only thing holding me back from going back to the A330 especially after getting a sound experience flying FSLabs and PMDG airplanes that's way beyond what AS offers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...