Manual Flying - unable to toggle the HDG, V/S & A/THR switches

kmcvie

Hello,

I recently purchased the A318/319/A320/A321 Family Professional Bundle and it does look great!

In order to learn the flying characteristics better, I want to be able to fly it “manually” by changing the HDG and by setting the speed & altitude outside of any programmed flight in the FMC.  Currently, I am unable to toggle +/- the HDG and V/S switches.  Additionally, I am unable to set the A/THR speed to increase or decrease speed.

When I start the sim in Take-Off State in the FMC, the heading I am facing is fixed as that of the runway andthe altitude is also at 5000’. So, for example, when I take off on RWY 18 , the HDG is fixed at 180 and the altiude is fixed at FL050. I am unable to then change course or to increase the altitude using the HDG and V/S switches. Also, I cannot set the speed by toggling +/- the SPD button.  If I then receive an ATC message to turn left HDG 090 and to incease altitude to FL120, I am unable to do so by toggling these switches. Nor am I able to set the speed at say 300knts and make the plane remain at that speed.

Even though I activate the HDG V/S function, I am still unable to use these switches.

I am used to flying the PMDG 737NGX and with this am able to freely toggle, and so control, the HDG switch, the V/S switch and the auto throttle switch.

Thanks.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Did you read the manuals especially work through the step-by-step guide? Many things are explained there like operating the different knobs with the mouse. Also you have to be aware that flying an Airbus is totally different from what you are used to do with a Boeing.

1 hour ago, kmcvie said:

Hello,

I recently purchased the A318/319/A320/A321 Family Professional Bundle and it does look great!

In order to learn the flying characteristics better, I want to be able to fly it “manually” by changing the HDG and by setting the speed & altitude outside of any programmed flight in the FMC.  Currently, I am unable to toggle +/- the HDG and V/S switches.  Additionally, I am unable to set the A/THR speed to increase or decrease speed.

When I start the sim in Take-Off State in the FMC, the heading I am facing is fixed as that of the runway andthe altitude is also at 5000’. So, for example, when I take off on RWY 18 , the HDG is fixed at 180 and the altiude is fixed at FL050. I am unable to then change course or to increase the altitude using the HDG and V/S switches. Also, I cannot set the speed by toggling +/- the SPD button.  If I then receive an ATC message to turn left HDG 090 and to incease altitude to FL120, I am unable to do so by toggling these switches. Nor am I able to set the speed at say 300knts and make the plane remain at that speed.

Even though I activate the HDG V/S function, I am still unable to use these switches.

I am used to flying the PMDG 737NGX and with this am able to freely toggle, and so control, the HDG switch, the V/S switch and the auto throttle switch.

Thanks.

I would like to echo what Otto mentioned.  I remember making the transition from McDonald Douglass / Boeing to Airbus many years ago and the learning curve is deceptive. It's true, the Airbus is far more automated than a Boeing, but it's also very, VERY different.  You can't fly an Airbus like a Boeing, plain and simple.

There are plenty of Youtube Video Tutorials available, and I believe there might be one for Boeing to Airbus conversation.  And of course as Otto mentioned, Aerosoft provices excellent documenation for the product.

Best wishes my friend.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I didn't appreciate just how different the Airbus is from the Boeing and thought there might be a quick fix to my issue of toggling and using these switches that somehow I had missed!

I will revisit the manuals and will try to find some more tutorials on YouTube.

Cheers.

Archived