CRJ Prof. P3Dv5 Stutters & Performance

Hi there,

I’m absolutely in love with the real CRJ, even logged some FTD time in it a long time ago. Unfortunately the performance of the sim version (stutters, FPS fluctuations) make it almost impossible for me to fly it without getting a headache, literally. 

I want to love this CRJ Pro, I really do, is there no way to maybe throttle instrument refresh rates, maybe reducing texture file size for VC etc. I tried playing with the panel config to only have FMS and instruments mirrored instead of dual (default), but without success. I tried disabling FO displays, but honestly that kills immersion for me. I don’t have low FPS, but the wild fluctuations hovering between 30-85 FPS, which I believe causes this non-fluid behavior. 

I have a clean/always updated sim only pc that runs all other study level aircraft, with Active Sky, and FSDT’s KORD at 30 FPS and no stutters without a problem. I’ve tried new Nvidia drivers, adjusting sliders in P3D and Nvidia CP, without avail. At this point I really don’t know if I’ll buy another version (MSFS] if this is not addressed for my current platform.

If anyone has any magic tricks/tips, I’m willing to try them all!

Cheers,

Pete

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, The Dude said:

Switch off the EFB inflight? That could perhaps even the FPS out a bit. 

The EFB on or off makes no difference on my system.

I have also been experiencing very odd FPS fluctuations using the CRJ Professional for P3d V5. Other payware aircraft run very well on my system without any stuttering. I have yet to pinpoint a certain action or cause of the stutters for the CRJ  as it occurs consistently throughout the different stages of a flight. In addition to what Pete has tried in his original post, I also rebuilt the P3d shader cache which did not alleviate the issue.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still seeing a performance lag in the VC and this is a new system. All my other aircraft are smooth when panning. I even run 4K @ 30hz so as to not tax my system. Even at 30FPS I can feel the performance hit.  I'll take it for a flight and see how it goes. 

Flying version 2.4.0.0 now but unfortunately FPS still jumps around between 30-150.

EFB off makes no difference.

Other planes FSLabs, PMDG, ETC are ok.

FPS just as terrible as always with constant drops and terrible stutters, especially when panning and taxiing.

This plane is easily the worst-performing addon I have ever used. Even this long after its release.

9900K@5ghz, 2080Ti.

Frankly, I do not consider this useable.

• Developer

It's interesting that you get this but none of the beta testers reported any framerate issues. For me it's all OK and the framerate is not excessively fluctuating. Same configuration. i9-9900k with RTX2080Ti. And I usually run VS2019 with an active debugger next to P3D, so performance should be worse here. It'd be interesting to know if you get the same problems with a clean P3D without any other add-ons. This issue has been around for so long and so unreproducable that I'm beginning to have doubts that the CRJ is the reason.

I'm using i7-8700k with an 1080ti.

If there's anything I can do to try to help I would be more than happy.

Any information needed about other addons, settings, ETC'... just let me know and I'll share ;)

Hopefully this will give a lead on why some users have these issues.

• Developer
6 minutes ago, dan3138 said:

I'm using i7-8700k with an 1080ti.

If there's anything I can do to try to help I would be more than happy.

Any information needed about other addons, settings, ETC'... just let me know and I'll share ;)

Hopefully this will give a lead on why some users have these issues.

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Add-ons and settings first please :)

Hi Hans,

it unfortunately didn’t fix it either for me, which is a shame having seen this awesome change log.

I’m using:

- P3DV5.1 HF1 (whichever the latest is)

- chaseplane

- fsuipc

- active sky

- envshade 

- CH Products analog yoke and pedals

- various goflight modules

It’s such a stunning add on, but I’m not able to enjoy it.

Prost,

Pete

I use Chaseplane so I'll provide my feedback. Outside is silky smooth, regardless of weather. I run a 4K @ 30hz so my FPS are maintaining 30FPS inside and outside of the CRJ. My performance issues is when panning around the VC. Even though I maintain 30FPS due to my monitors refresh rate panning is jittery compared to other aircraft. Turning off Trueglass, EFB or CoPilots instruments play no factor in the slight stuttering I get while panning. I did turn off ChasePlane to see if the default view system was any better and I did see a slight improvement. I also made sure their were no conflicting key bindings. There is something keeping it from being as smooth. As other have reported they are seeing large flux's in FPS. I don't see this due to 30hz.  

i9-10900K@5.2 (HT off) / Asus Maximus Hero Z490 / RTX 3090 FE / Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4400@4000CL17 

40 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Add-ons and settings first please :)

- Latest P3Dv5 (Settings attached).

- Activesky

- Chaseplane

- FSUIPC

- Nvidia control panel settings (Stock without change)

Please login to display this image.

Hi guys,

I’d like to contribute mz findings regarding this topic, as I’m suffering constant stutters with high FPS aswell.

I have my sim running with 60 FPS target frame rate (the P3D internal limiter) in the most complex add on aircraft, reaching it steadily. Unlocked, I’m able to get up to 80 FPS at Aerosoft EGLL with those airliners.

In the CRJ though the 60 FPS limited setup creates those constant stutters. With the FPS unlimited it’s much less noticeable, but still there.

And I can tell you the who’s the culprit for me: Display drawing. In C&D, the CRJ performs just as good as any other aircraft, but once I turn it on and the displays become alive, the stutters start. 
And now the most interesting part! Once I pop out the displays, the stutters get less intense, being completely gone with all displays popped out.

It would be interesting to know if the other people reporting stutters experience the same when popping out the displays. 

Not with this version, but the previous one, I also experienced this on a vanilla P3D install. Changing settings also has no effect at all.

So, display drawing, my personal guess. Would be lovely if a solution was found, cause this lovely aircraft doesn’t deserve being so hard to use!

Should you need any additional information, I’m happy to help.

Kind regards

Johannes

• Developer

One of the beta testers reminded me that I wanted to revert the frame rate reduction for the First Officer's PFD and MFD. I must admit that I totally forgot about this.

Is it possible that what you see is not stuttering and a low framerate of the whole simulator but the Hans-induced stuttering of the FO PFD and MFD?

Hi Hans,

sorry, I was a bit unclear describing my stutters. Just like the others I'm experiencing stutters when panning around the VC. To be even more precise: The smooth stream of images is interrupted by a periodical short "pause" every 0,2 seconds or so. I can take a video of it later and compare it with another addon if that helps. It's quite noticeable even on recorded footage.

1 hour ago, MediocreGorilla said:

Hi Hans,

sorry, I was a bit unclear describing my stutters. Just like the others I'm experiencing stutters when panning around the VC. To be even more precise: The smooth stream of images is interrupted by a periodical short "pause" every 0,2 seconds or so. I can take a video of it later and compare it with another addon if that helps. It's quite noticeable even on recorded footage.

I can add, when I'm in cold and dark my panning is a lot smoother thorough out the VC. Once I'm powered up I see what MediocreGorilla sees. Turning off the FO displays did not improve things. 

Archived