Honeycomb Bravo Throttle: MSFS HDG Bug (10° steps instead of 1° steps)

There seems to be a bug in Microsoft Flight Simulator which makes it impossible to change the heading in the autopilot in 1° steps:

Imagine you’re designing a flight simulator and realize that sometimes the user will hold down a keyboard key or joystick button to make scrolling something faster. Maybe they want to increase their heading bug or their autopilot altitude setting faster so they hold down that key or button.

One thing you could do is nothing. Just let them hold down the button and let that input increment up by one repeatedly. That can work.

Or you could give the user some help. Maybe you could code in something where if the game detects that they are holding down the button for a few seconds, then you make that increment go up by 10 instead of 1. They’ll get to where they want to go faster! Maybe create a Boolean (true/false) variable called “control acceleration” and set it to true if the button is held for more than a few seconds, and set it to false when the button is no longer held down. Ok, looks good!

But you made a mistake. Instead of checking to make sure that the button or key being held down is the one that’s actually doing the heading bug increase or altitude setting increase, you instead make it so that if ANY button bound to a recognized command is being held down, then the “control acceleration” variable is set to true.

This is where the bug comes in.

There are peripherals with buttons that will have a constant “pressed down” state. One example could be a toggle switch. If the toggle switch is in the up position, the peripheral could be constantly sending an active command to the game, as if a user was constantly pressing down a button. Same if it’s in the down position. The Honeycomb Alpha Yoke operates this way with its switches in its base. Some other peripherals do as well.

So now, just by virtue of having a peripheral giving constant input, the game sets the “control acceleration” variable to on, and all heading bug changes, or altitude setting changes (and I think some other changes as well) will be at 10x the increment.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/heading-increment-bug-10-degree-instead-of-1-explained/290173

Unfortunatelly I experience the same bug in the sim, which makes it impossible to properly use the HDG function of the autopilot.

While this certainly is a fault by Asobo and not Honeycomb Aeronautical, I think this could be fixed with the Honeycomb Config Tool. Would it be possible to implement an option, which allows to change the behavior of the switches? If they would only send a single "pressed down" signal when they are used instead of a constant "pressed down" signal, I think this would fix the problem.

8 hours ago, Rentner said:

Unfortunatelly I experience the same bug in the sim, which makes it impossible to properly use the HDG function of the autopilot.

Just make sure you unmap all the toggle switches and the mag switch. The default bindings aren't much use anyway, they're certainly worth trading for correct action of the HDG, OBS, ADF, DG and elevator trim. We can hope Asobo will remove the auto-repeat feature in due course. There are other ways for now. You can map your controls using a third-party solution that doesn't auto-repeat the switches, such as FSUIPC, SPAD.neXt and a flurry of other new tools that are appearing. There's a free program called Joystick Gremlin that someone suggested can remap toggle switches to momentary swithces, which would sort of work.

• 3 weeks later...

Can one of you help me figure out why I'm still having this problem even after I unbound all the switches? In the msfs20 menus i have the filter set to assigned and there's no other bound switches. Am I missing something?

Archived