A320/321 Not Flaring During Autoland

rowcoach

Good evening,

There was an earlier thread, I believe from a year or two ago, talking about high speed of descent on landing during Cat III approaches. I’ve found that I’m having the same issue. This afternoon I flew into Fort Lauderdale (KFLL) in the A320. Yesterday it was with the A321 into KPDX. Everything seemed fine at the start of my approach. Localizer and Glide Slope captured. Descent started. Lowered gear and flaps. Speed set to Vapp. Landing was ‘controlled’ at around 500fpm. There was no flare or call to ‘retard’ the throttles. Pretty much a controlled descent onto the runway. 

Just to make sure I’m setting everything up correctly, this is how what I do: ILS frequency is crosschecked on the MCDU on the NAV/RAD page. LOC button is pushed. Followed ATC directions to localizer intercept. On intercept APP is pressed and the second AP is engaged. On the MCDU I’ve entered the destination data: temp, wind speed and direction, and the QNH. In the previous thread I noticed that decision height should be entered somewhere, but no idea where to put this. 

Both destination airports are payware. I’m using Active Sky weather for P3D. It was raining into Portland and partly cloudy into Fort Lauderdale. The winds were nothing special. Frames per second are capped at 30. 

In the previous post, I don’t think it was resolved. The OP never came back to say the problem was fixed. There was talk about adjusting Vapp to compensate for wind. There was also the suggestion of checking if RA or Baro is set for the decision height. As mentioned, I wasn’t 100% sure what was meant by that. 

Thanks for your help. Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, and happy 2021. 

Cheers,

colin

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, rowcoach said:

In the previous thread I noticed that decision height should be entered somewhere, but no idea where to put this. 

Perf Appr page: Radio or Baro

Archived