Honeycomb Bravo with the PMDG NGXu setup

I spent a partly happy, partly frustrating day with my Bravo. My setup used to be Prepar3D 4.5, with FSUIPC 5 for the axes, and LINDA 3.1.x for the buttons. When the Alpha came I simply did not install the associated software, because it was too much focused on mapping buttons to keystrokes, which is kind of doubling the effort, because you then still have to map that key in Prepar3D. Since then the Configurator has grown, but I never noticed. Sorry. Now with the Bravo you need the new software, because of the lights, and you can simply load empty profiles for the buttons.

Then the problems started: For some reason the throttles will not work with the PMDG NGXu. Moving them from zero to full power will make the reversers behave weirdly, but do nothing to the actual 737's throttles. No matter how I change the settings in FSUIPC, they will not behave. Searching the FSUIPC support site I found that I was lagging a major version behind, so I spent the 12 euros on FSUIPC version 6 and tried again. Needed to upgrade LINDA to 3.2.x as well, so in the end everything was shiny and clean. All configurations wiped.

Configuring the Bravo to work with a pretty basic dual-engine prop aircraft (Alabeo Cessna 404 Titan) went well. Wasn't able to get all lights to work, but between the Configurator and LINDA I'll get it to work eventually. But for a flight this evening I needed the 737, So I enabled all the profiles and translators, and found the throttles still don't work. Configuring them in Prepar3D itself had as effect that, with the physical levers on zero, the PMDG throttles were somewhere at 10%. I tried calibrating, changing sensitivity, but nothing helps. I even removed FSUIPC as it isn't doing anything.

Who can help me with fresh ideas?

Bert Laverman

• Aerosoft

Hi guys,

as with our interface we are not interfering with the axis at all, I cannot from the top of my head see what might be causing this, other than some settings mismatch somewhere else.

Also, for me in v5 the throttle axis are working fine with the NGXu.

But we'll look into it.

Bert: so also with the most recent FSUIPC you are not able to get the throttles to move at all? Is it only the throttles or also the flaps and spoiler axis?

2 minutes ago, BenBaron said:

Bert: so also with the most recent FSUIPC you are not able to get the throttles to move at all? Is it only the throttles or also the flaps and spoiler axis?

Oddly enough, only the throttles.

I am currently doing the next sensible thing, aka "the morning after pill": Downloaded the latest point-release of Prepar3D 4.5 (4.5.14.34698) and upgrading it. Also (backed up and) deleted Prepar3D.cfg and all Controls files.

Doing the upgrade in the component-by-component style: first uninstalled the Client and installed the latest. (with the removals mentioned above) The good old Beech Baron (kept a backup from when it was still bundled) worked fine.

Now doing Content and Scenery, will also remove the FSUIPC INI file to remove any assignments it may have lingering.

Will keep you posted.

Bert

Ok, update:

I think the Bravo has very specific calibration requirements, so the re-install/upgrade of Prepar3D could probably have been reduced to removing the controls ("C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Marting\Prepar3D v4\Controls\Standard.xml") and calibration files. ("C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Marting\Prepar3D v4\Controls\Calibration.xml")

Next step is to re-enable FSUIPC and see if the freshly calibrated axes will work as required.

Bert

10 hours ago, utahpilot3233 said:

Bert I'm in the exact same boat right now. I'll be following this one to see what the fixes are.

In FSUIPC, throttle calibration, you must use the "Set" button for processing because of the reversed axis, but then you must also check "No reverse zone" in the top-left. With that it should work!

Better still, the axes now work both with and without FSUIPC.

The only mystery I have left is that I made my own version of the PMDG NGXu profile for the Alpha, where I added bindings for switching views, only to find that after I activate them, buttons appear switched.

My current profile, when loaded in the configurator, has:

• Button "Elev Trim A UP" set to "K:NEXT_VIEW"
  • Button "Elev Trim A DN" set to "K:PREV_VIEW"
  • Button "Elev Trim B UP" set to "K:ELEV_TRIM_UP"
  • Button "Elev Trim B DN" set to "K:ELEV_TRIM_DN"
  • Button "Aileron Trim Left" set to "K:PREV_SUB_VIEW"
  • Button "Aileron Trim right" set to "K:NEXT_SUB_VIEW"
  • Button "Rudder Trim Left" set to "K:AILERON_TRIM_LEFT"
  • Button "Rudder Trim Right" set to "K:AILERON_TRIM_RIGHT"

On the yoke the aileron trim is now on the top button, and the sub-view switch on the bottom one. The other pair seems to have a similar issue, but that is complicated by "NEXT_VIEW" and "PREV_VIEW" not doing anything, which is probably not your problem. If I want to cause a keypress, how do I configure that? "GAUGE_KEYSTROKE" seems likely, but the value must be ASCII or string?

Bert

• Aerosoft

Hi Bert,

good you got your axis working, again. Regarding your other problems: you can attach your Yoke profile, so I can see if I can reproduce the issue you are seeing. Causing a keypress is generally not possible right now via the Configurator. That KEY_GAUGE_KEYSTROKE...I doubt that this one is suitable for what you want to do, which is emulate a keypress to get captured by the whole sim.

• Aerosoft

Thanks for your file Bert: I took a look and can confirm your findings. There is currently a mix up with the button numberings between Aileron and Rudder Trim, so their functions appear reversed in sim. This will get fixed in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, Bert Laverman said:

I spent a partly happy, partly frustrating day with my Bravo. My setup used to be Prepar3D 4.5, with FSUIPC 5 for the axes, and LINDA 3.1.x for the buttons. When the Alpha came I simply did not install the associated software, because it was too much focused on mapping buttons to keystrokes, which is kind of doubling the effort, because you then still have to map that key in Prepar3D. Since then the Configurator has grown, but I never noticed. Sorry. Now with the Bravo you need the new software, because of the lights, and you can simply load empty profiles for the buttons.

Then the problems started: For some reason the throttles will not work with the PMDG NGXu. Moving them from zero to full power will make the reversers behave weirdly, but do nothing to the actual 737's throttles. No matter how I change the settings in FSUIPC, they will not behave. Searching the FSUIPC support site I found that I was lagging a major version behind, so I spent the 12 euros on FSUIPC version 6 and tried again. Needed to upgrade LINDA to 3.2.x as well, so in the end everything was shiny and clean. All configurations wiped.

Configuring the Bravo to work with a pretty basic dual-engine prop aircraft (Alabeo Cessna 404 Titan) went well. Wasn't able to get all lights to work, but between the Configurator and LINDA I'll get it to work eventually. But for a flight this evening I needed the 737, So I enabled all the profiles and translators, and found the throttles still don't work. Configuring them in Prepar3D itself had as effect that, with the physical levers on zero, the PMDG throttles were somewhere at 10%. I tried calibrating, changing sensitivity, but nothing helps. I even removed FSUIPC as it isn't doing anything.

Who can help me with fresh ideas?

Bert Laverman

You have to click on "no reverser zone" in FSUIPC top left corner of joystick calibrations tab in the throttles section

worked for me

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:15 AM, Bert Laverman said:

In FSUIPC, throttle calibration, you must use the "Set" button for processing because of the reversed axis, but then you must also check "No reverse zone" in the top-left. With that it should work!

Thanks Bert. This did the trick for me!

Archived