Configuring Bravo Throttle for FSX

• Aerosoft

Hi,

as FSX does not recognize more than 32 buttons, you cannot assign those via the FSX menu. You will have to use the Honeycomb Configurator tool to assign them. Download required software from here.

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, BenBaron said:

Hi,

as FSX does not recognize more than 32 buttons, you cannot assign those via the FSX menu. You will have to use the Honeycomb Configurator tool to assign them. Download required software from here.

Hello BenBaron,

I'm new to this forum and just received my Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant within the last 10 days.  I had the same problem trying to assign keystrokes to the buttons.  Since the Honeycomb Configurator doesn't allow keystrokes to be bound to Bravo buttons, the only other way seemed to be to reprogram the buttons in the sim to the different commands (keystrokes).  But that process would involve reassigning the button mapping every time a different aircraft was flown, especially going from props to jets and back again.

First, a bit of background though.  I have a new computer build on order but it will be awhile before I receive it and I am waiting to buy Flight Simulator 2020 until it arrives.  My old system couldn't handle it.  Also, I grew impatient waiting for the Honeycomb Alpha and did a rebuild of my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System.  It uses a trolley on rails much like the Alpha does but mine uses Hall effect sensors instead of pots and digitizes the X and Y axes to 16 bits.  So I use two USB outputs from the Saitek, the original output for the Saitek buttons presses and the new Leo Bodnar board for the 16 bit X and Y axes.

So back to your problem.  This solution should work with any yoke with or without buttons.  You need two pieces of software available for free on the net.  First, you need vjoy from Sourceforge.net.  You use this piece of software to define the structure of the virtual joystick output to the sim.  It provides the interface between the sim and the mapping software called Joystick Gremlin which is available on whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin.  This is where you do the mapping once you have configured vjoy.  Just configure vjoy for 8 axes, 4 hat switches and 64 buttons and you are done with it.  Joystick Gremlin is where you will do all your work.  You may need to make another entry in vjoy for the Alpha yoke or you might be able to handle both the alpha and bravo in one combined interface.  To make this easier I will include a .docx file I made by downloading all the various section in the Joystick Gremlin tutorial and editing them into a continuous file.  Read it to learn how to use gremlin and then play around and experiment a little bit.  You will catch on quickly.  I will also include the file that I made for two engine jets.

Joystick Gremlin can “see” the seven user definable switches directly above the throttles.  One rather interesting benefit of using the Saitek yoke involves the use of the small thumbwheel switch on the back of the right hand throttle.  The Saitek software uses this input to allow it to assign a different keypress to its yoke buttons based on the position of this mode switch.  By programming the Saitek mode switch to output a different alpha code at each mode setting (single keystroke only – no shift or control), the Bravo throttle can use this to also provide three different outputs for each of its switch positions, one for each mode setting.  Mode switching is accomplished under the keyboard tab.  I used the arrows and these will have to be deleted from the elevator control and aileron control in the simulator.  You will also have to set up the simulator to not use Bravo (or Alpha if it is defined in vjoy too).  Instead you will use the vjoy input under controls and map those axes within the sim.  Remember to delete any buttons that are mapped to inputs in the sim.  Those will be defined by what you entered into vjoy.

Just a couple words to help with the programming.  Use the macro function if a button is being assigned a complex output (a key paired with either or both of shift or control).  Also use an action condition to make the action happen on the press of the button.  Otherwise a held button will not allow any other buttons to be seen.

Hello BenBaron,

I'm new to this forum and just received my Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant within the last 10 days.  I had the same problem trying to assign keystrokes to the buttons.  Since the Honeycomb Configurator doesn't allow keystrokes to be bound to Bravo buttons, the only other way seemed to be to reprogram the buttons in the sim to the different commands (keystrokes).  But that process would involve reassigning the button mapping every time a different aircraft was flown, especially going from props to jets and back again.

First, a bit of background though.  I have a new computer build on order but it will be awhile before I receive it and I am waiting to buy Flight Simulator 2020 until it arrives.  My old system couldn't handle it.  Also, I grew impatient waiting for the Honeycomb Alpha and did a rebuild of my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System.  It uses a trolley on rails much like the Alpha does but mine uses Hall effect sensors instead of pots and digitizes the X and Y axes to 16 bits.  So I use two USB outputs from the Saitek, the original output for the Saitek buttons presses and the new Leo Bodnar board for the 16 bit X and Y axes.

So back to your problem.  This solution should work with any yoke with or without buttons.  You need two pieces of software available for free on the net.  First, you need vjoy from Sourceforge.net.  You use this piece of software to define the structure of the virtual joystick output to the sim.  It provides the interface between the sim and the mapping software called Joystick Gremlin which is available on whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin.  This is where you do the mapping once you have configured vjoy.  Just configure vjoy for 8 axes, 4 hat switches and 64 buttons and you are done with it.  Joystick Gremlin is where you will do all your work.  You may need to make another entry in vjoy for the Alpha yoke or you might be able to handle both the alpha and bravo in one combined interface.  To make this easier I will include a .pdf file I made by downloading all the various section in the Joystick Gremlin tutorial and editing them into a continuous file.  Read it to learn how to use gremlin and then play around and experiment a little bit.  You will catch on quickly.  I will also include the file that I made for two engine jets.

Joystick Gremlin can “see” the seven user definable switches directly above the throttles.  One rather interesting benefit of using the Saitek yoke involves the use of the small thumbwheel switch on the back of the right hand throttle.  The Saitek software uses this input to allow it to assign a different keypress to its yoke buttons based on the position of this mode switch.  By programming the Saitek mode switch to output a different alpha code at each mode setting (single keystroke only – no shift or control), the Bravo throttle can use this to also provide three different outputs for each of its switch positions, one for each mode setting.  Mode switching is accomplished under the keyboard tab.  I used the arrows and these will have to be deleted from the elevator control and aileron control in the simulator.  You will also have to set up the simulator to not use Bravo (or Alpha if it is defined in vjoy too).  Instead you will use the vjoy input under controls and map those axes within the sim.  Remember to delete any buttons that are mapped to inputs in the sim.  Those will be defined by what you entered into vjoy.

Just a couple words to help with the programming.  Use the macro function if a button is being assigned a complex output (a key paired with either or both of shift or control).  Also use an action condition to make the action happen on the press of the button.  Otherwise a held button will not allow any other buttons to be seen.

Joystick Gremlin.pdf FSX Jets with Yoke Mode Switch.xml

• 6 months later...

Hi.

The configurator tool is extremely complicated to use and the one video I can find on youtube seems like it's designed for a programmer which I am not.

Is there any easy way to get this throtle quadrant working for my PMDG 737NG on FSX? If not I will have to return this to the store tomorrow.

• Aerosoft

Hi Salass,

The Configurator basically works the same way the simulators do.

It assigns buttons to functions.

There is no programming required.

Because the PMDG is a way more complex and close to the reality addon, it has many more functions and variables than the ones available in FSX.

Therefore it requires external utilities to access those functions and variable.

Note however that the axes still need to be simply aligned from within the simulator. 

The Configurator isn't required for that.

Best regards.

Hi Salass

I have the same problems with PMDG 737NGX, Bravo and FSX. After following the videos on MrJaraNet have only been able to get the CRS to work out of the 5 options on the selector switch + incr/decr. IAS even though pointed at other variable changes the CRS as well ! The 7 buttons do nothing on screen, but the LED's work. None of the seven switches or autopilot button work. Have managed to get the landing gear LED's to work correctly following the videos. 

Have been hoping someone would chip in that had had more success.

Cheers John.

• Aerosoft

Hi guys,

unfortunately, providing full custom support for the NGX in FSX via the PMDG SDK is not possible from our side. This is only available for the x64 simulators, that is P3Dv4 upwards. That means you are limited to whichever way the NGX likes to react to default simulator events, like John described for CRS. But there is no official way of doing things apart from experimentation.

Archived