Otter pulls to right

rprachun

I have worked on this one most of the day...when flying the new Otter X, the aircraft is constantly pulling to the right. From an outside rear view, the aircraft is rolled a few degrees to starboard in flight. I have zeroed all trims...balanced props and throttles. At a loss. No other aircraft behaves this way (I own all FSX Aerosoft aircraft, plus numerous other purchased planes).

If I add about 4-7 degrees of roll trim, I can get it flying straight, but I don't know why it is doing this. Any ideas anyone?

(Use full Saitek yoke and two control modules)

Sorry...I love the plane but this one has me stumped!

Ray

Ray,

I saw that too. Take a look at the fuel gauges. The right tank is much heavier. I'm playing the crossfeeding fuel.

Glenn

Im new to this plane but from what I see there are no right/left wing tanks, only fwd and aft fus tanks, so it sounds like he has a trim problem. If you put your mouse over the ailerons trim, with tool tips on it will show you the trim setting in degrees, but I'm sure you already checked that. Tryed re-calibrating your yoke? The only other option I can think of is to move a few of the fatter passengers to the other side of the plane :-)

• Aerosoft
I have worked on this one most of the day...when flying the new Otter X, the aircraft is constantly pulling to the right. From an outside rear view, the aircraft is rolled a few degrees to starboard in flight. I have zeroed all trims...balanced props and throttles. At a loss. No other aircraft behaves this way (I own all FSX Aerosoft aircraft, plus numerous other purchased planes).

If I add about 4-7 degrees of roll trim, I can get it flying straight, but I don't know why it is doing this. Any ideas anyone?

(Use full Saitek yoke and two control modules)

Sorry...I love the plane but this one has me stumped!

Ray

Can't really understands this other than a stick that is out of balance. What happens when you deactivated the stick?

The reason for the right turning tendency is simply weight distribution.

Try to remove all passengers (FSX load manager set all passenger rows to zero) and the twotter is flying perfectly straight !

sometimes issues are part of the realisme

More comprehensive investigation:

With the default loadout of the twotter (load distribution as installed):

_____Mid of aircraft___

__________+________

No.__A_____B___C___Seat

1_____1_____1__120_Lb

2_____1___169__110_Lb

3___170___170__170_Lb

4____77___180__180_Lb

5___180_____1__170_Lb

6___180___110__170_Lb

==============

Tot__609__631__920

_____Lb___Lb___Lb

As You can see, there are 310 Lb´s more in the right side as in the left and the mid row of seats are slightly ofset to the right adding a bit further to the right side imbalance.

Wothan

• Aerosoft
The reason for the right turning tendency is simply weight distribution.

Wothan

Or torque? Both props turn the same way. Not 100% sure how this relates to twins (where is Newton when you need him) but in my simple mind there has to remain a torque vector.

I can confirm that this is so (weight distribution)... asking the Cabin crew to ask the large Gentleman on the right to move over to the left is going to make a much bigger impact that it would on a 747. Be polite though :D

As to the Torque Mathisj... I guess that is so unless you have you have counter rotating props and I'm not sure if that is so or not on the Twotter.

Yeah, I made the left/right comment after maybe two flights. I didn't realize the fore/aft configuration of the tanks until tonight when I tried to reset the fuel distribution. The description of the power center versus COG also explains a lot of things. I had to compare the Beaver to the Twotter to make me feel a lot better - two aircraft, same sort of mission in many cases, same real world builder and same software developer helped me realize how good the Twotter's flight model is. I am looking forward to the patch and a real avionics switch.

Glenn

Just want to thank everyone for the responses...I will examine the fuel load...the passenger distribution...and I intend to make the fat lady sing, but she has to do it on the port side of the plane! :D

I am certain this is not mechanical (calibration, etc)...did all that and other twin engine aircraft do not exhibit this behaviour.

I will let you know my results.

Cheers

Ray

Just wanted to let you know that emptying the aircraft of passengers (leaving pilot and copilot is OK) solved the right turn problem. Fuel load was not an issue.

If I might suggest that the default load-out of the aircraft be pilot & copilot only.

Flys BEAUTIFULLY now. Even the "throttle down ... nose pitch up" problem is much less pronounced. I just fell in love with the Otter again :P

Ray