Honeycomb configurator questions

The "Forum" link sends me to this site, but I see no specific forum or topic for it, so here goes in "Shop questions & answers":

1. What is the typical flow for a user to:
    1. Select a profile as the profile to be used in Prepar3D? The menu options allow me to refresh the current profile, but it does not offer a choice.
    2. De-select profiles. How do I prevent the plugin from doing anything? E.g. Use "Default profile" for the Bravo, but don't do anything for the Alpha. (e.g. because I have that covered in FSUIPC or Linda.)
    3. Switch profiles depending on the aircraft selected.
    4. Synchronize profile selection for Alpha and Bravo.
  2. I have downloaded the PMDG NGXu profiles, but do I still need to use "Actions" -> "Activate/Deactivate PMDG"? What actually does this do?
  3. Do you have a list of button numbers vs which buttons they are on the device. I like the JSON file, but it uses numbers, not names.

Cheers,

Bert Laverman

22 hours ago, BenBaron said:

Hi Bert,

have you checked out this thread? It should  at least answer some of your questions. 

Also, in the download section for the NGX(u) profiles you have a .pdf which contains the mappings.

I have now, thank you.

The PDF explains the mappings yes, but it does not contain a list of available PMDG actions. For example, the red button on the right side of the Yoke is mapped to:

• A "CUSTOM VAR",
  • With key "L"
  • Name "AS_PMDG_737NGX_EVT_YOKE_L_AP_DISC_SWITCH"
  • No index
  • A value of 536870912

For none of these values is there any explanation. As a developer with (admittedly limited) experience in interfacing with FSX, I'm guessing the "L" refers to "Lvar"s, which are the wild-wild-west in this area, as you it implies non-networked SimConnect integration. You need addon specific documentation to find out which Lvars are available. Now I happen to have played with the 737 NG SDK way back, so I checked the C header file it comes with, and "EVT_YOKE_L_AP_DISC_SWITCH" is defined there as "(THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 1004)". "THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN" is set to 69632, so that makes 70636, nowhere near 536870912.

So, the documentation available will let me make a guess for the "Name" field, prefixing the SDK's event name with "AS_PMDG_737NGX_", but for the value I have no idea where to get it, or what it is supposed to be.

So... HELP!?! Please...

Bert

Oh yes, I just found out that the "<Aerosoft home>\Honeycomb\bin" directory stores 4 files that determine the current "state":

• "userconfig.hcc" is a JSON-formatted file that stores the current state of the configurator.
  • "pmdg_config.ini" stores the state that determines if the "PMDG translator" DLL needs to be loaded for a specific Prepar3D version.
  • "AFC_Yoke_Config.json" is a copy of the currently activated profile for the Alpha.
  • "BFC_Throttle_Config.json" is a copy of the currently activated profile for the Bravo.

So, if you write a small app that keeps a list of mappings of aircraft to profiles, and it uses SimConnect to connect to Prepar3D, you could automatically switch profiles based on the aircraft selected by overwriting the last three of those files. I forgot if you can trigger menu items using SimConnect, because then you can refresh them automatically. Kludgy, but better than the current full-manual approach. (hint, hint)

Bert Laverman

PS I already have a fulltime job as Software Architect and Developer, but mostly server-side, not Windows. That doesn't mean I have zero experience in the C++/C# DLL/EXE field, let alone strong opinions about what makes good software. Interested to see the mention of Vue in the list of used third-party tooling. I suppose it's used for the UI.

So I wonder how Honeycomb figured that the average user, who maybe not is any good with this stuff, should know this/figure it out?

Using P3Dv4,5 I got the Bravo on wednesday, and even though I have watched several youtube videos, deactivated the default simulator mappings from the configurator, downloaded the profiles made for the PMDG aircraft for the configurator, the autopilot buttons still don't work. They are mapped to completely different things, like flaps and what not...

I have no way of getting this figured out by myself, let alone having the time to try and figure it out.. Pretty disappointed that there is no explanation of almost anything, like with the yoke.

Ok, I wouldn't mind too much creating a profile, but with no explanation (that I found so far) of how things work, or the logic behind LVars, variables etc in the configurator; I am lost.

The throttle, speedbrake, flaps and gearlever I got working, but the rest is deadweight. The Bravo is also not showing under the "Addons -> Honeycomb" tab in the sim.

Just have to wait for more clever people to figure it out, and hope they share their insight I guess...  

21 hours ago, Ørjan said:

So I wonder how Honeycomb figured that the average user, who maybe not is any good with this stuff, should know this/figure it out?

Using P3Dv4,5 I got the Bravo on wednesday, and even though I have watched several youtube videos, deactivated the default simulator mappings from the configurator, downloaded the profiles made for the PMDG aircraft for the configurator, the autopilot buttons still don't work. They are mapped to completely different things, like flaps and what not...

I have no way of getting this figured out by myself, let alone having the time to try and figure it out.. Pretty disappointed that there is no explanation of almost anything, like with the yoke.

Ok, I wouldn't mind too much creating a profile, but with no explanation (that I found so far) of how things work, or the logic behind LVars, variables etc in the configurator; I am lost.

The throttle, speedbrake, flaps and gearlever I got working, but the rest is deadweight. The Bravo is also not showing under the "Addons -> Honeycomb" tab in the sim.

Just have to wait for more clever people to figure it out, and hope they share their insight I guess...  

Ok, the quickest to help you get up and running:

1. Start the Honeycomb configurator.
  2. Activate the PMDG translator using "Actions" -> "Activate/Deactivate PMDG", select Prepar3D version, check Prepar3D path, then "Activate".
  3. Download the PMDG profiles if you haven't done so, and "Import" them, which is an available through "Actions" -> "Settings" -> "Import Profiles".
  4. For each Honeycomb device, use "Actions" -> "Change Selected Device" to select it if not so currently.
  5. Load the profile using the "Profiles menu".
  6. Activate that profile with "Actions" -> "Activate current profile".

Now you can start Prepar3D. You need to go this once, until you want to switch aircraft...

Cheers  and happy flying,

Bert

• Aerosoft
vor 23 Stunden , Ørjan sagte:

Hi Orjan,

we are perfectly aware, that there is a learning curve involved, which for some might be also a quite steep one. We are dealing with a very heterogeneous simulation environment supporting not only FSX, P3D and MSFS, but also X-Plane. Like that having everything completely ready and well documented from day one is simply not within the realm of possiblities with a limited amount of human resources available.

But we are trying our best to catch up on the questions you have and will also continue to provide documentation like e.g. uploading educational videos on this channel.

Hello Bert.

Thank you very much for your reply, it's much appreciated!

Unfortunately the result is still the same, with the Bravo not showing under the "add-ons" tab.

Strange, because it is recognized by the sim in the menu under "Otptions -> Controls".

I have read the thread that Benjamin linked to above, but I don't get any errors.

And I have watched most of the youtube videos of MrJaraNet, also linked by Benjamin. But being somewhat illiterate about these things doesn't help too much...

Obviously, people are getting it to work, so it must be the organism behind my keyboard. ;)

But it's usable, only the autopilot buttons, and the 7 toggle buttons are no good.

• Aerosoft
On 26.12.2020 at 11:42, Bert Laverman sagte:

I have now, thank you.

The PDF explains the mappings yes, but it does not contain a list of available PMDG actions. For example, the red button on the right side of the Yoke is mapped to:

• A "CUSTOM VAR",
  • With key "L"
  • Name "AS_PMDG_737NGX_EVT_YOKE_L_AP_DISC_SWITCH"
  • No index
  • A value of 536870912

For none of these values is there any explanation. As a developer with (admittedly limited) experience in interfacing with FSX, I'm guessing the "L" refers to "Lvar"s, which are the wild-wild-west in this area, as you it implies non-networked SimConnect integration. You need addon specific documentation to find out which Lvars are available. Now I happen to have played with the 737 NG SDK way back, so I checked the C header file it comes with, and "EVT_YOKE_L_AP_DISC_SWITCH" is defined there as "(THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 1004)". "THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN" is set to 69632, so that makes 70636, nowhere near 536870912.

So, the documentation available will let me make a guess for the "Name" field, prefixing the SDK's event name with "AS_PMDG_737NGX_", but for the value I have no idea where to get it, or what it is supposed to be.

So... HELP!?! Please...

Bert

Hi Bert,

as you have already figured out for yourself, for the PMDG events, we are using the naming conventions defined in the header file, prefixing them with "AS_PMDG_737NGX_". As for the value, in this case the "536870912" corresponds to the header defined "0x20000000" inducing a "MOUSE_FLAG_LEFTSINGLE" on the event variable. At other places (e.g. MCP) we are using the values of "MOUSE_FLAG_WHEEL_UP" and "MOUSE_FLAG_WHEEL_DOWN".

I hope that helps.

Hi Benjamin.

Thanks for the reply, I do understand your point. 

I guess after about 14 months or so of eagerly waiting for it (I preordered early) and watching the hype, it was a bit of a disappointment not having these extra functions at hand.

But again, it's working for many people, so it's most likely a lack of knowledge on my side. :)

9 minutes ago, Ørjan said:

Unfortunately the result is still the same, with the Bravo not showing under the "add-ons" tab.

Strange, because it is recognized by the sim in the menu under "Otptions -> Controls".

Ørjan,

is the "Honeycomb" submenu showing under "Add-ons"?

Sorry, should have mentioned that....

Yes, the "Honeycomb" submenu is showing. I have the yoke and that one is showing, but I don't use a profile for the yoke. I used FSUIPC and LINDA for the buttons on that.

I will take a screenshot, because the menu text is a bit different as to what others have posted, when hovering the cursor over "Honeycomb".

EDIT: due to a brainfart on my side I mistakenly thought the text was different, it is not...

Ok, just to verify some other things:

• In the installation directory of the configurator there is a "bin" folder, with in that "honeycomb_profiles". What files are in that directory?
  • In the "bin" directory, do you have the "AFC_Yoke_Config.json" and "BFC_Throttle_Config.json" files?

Bert

Well, now we are getting close Bert!

I attach a screenshot of the bin folder... Seems like the issue lies here..

No "honeycomb_profiles" or BFC_Throttle_Config.json files...

Please login to display this image.

I just checked the download section, and it seems the latest version is 2.0.1...

Strange it didn't download that one, but I will try to install that version first and see how it works maybe?

One question before I try to mess things up even more:

Is this the same version you have?

In the "programs and features" it says I have 2.0.0.1, but in the download section here it says 2.0.1

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft
vor 14 Minuten, Ørjan sagte:

I just checked the download section, and it seems the latest version is 2.0.1...

Strange it didn't download that one, but I will try to install that version first and see how it works maybe?

Yes...it is always best to be up to date. And make sure that you are following Berts list from above:

1. Start the Honeycomb configurator.
  2. Activate the PMDG translator using "Actions" -> "Activate/Deactivate PMDG", select Prepar3D version, check Prepar3D path, then "Activate".
  3. Download the PMDG profiles if you haven't done so, and "Import" them, which is an available through "Actions" -> "Settings" -> "Import Profiles".
  4. For each Honeycomb device, use "Actions" -> "Change Selected Device" to select it if not so currently.
  5. Load the profile using the "Profiles menu".
  6. Activate that profile with "Actions" -> "Activate current profile".

1 hour ago, BenBaron said:

Hi Bert,

as you have already figured out for yourself, for the PMDG events, we are using the naming conventions defined in the header file, prefixing them with "AS_PMDG_737NGX_". As for the value, in this case the "536870912" corresponds to the header defined "0x20000000" inducing a "MOUSE_FLAG_LEFTSINGLE" on the event variable. At other places (e.g. MCP) we are using the values of "MOUSE_FLAG_WHEEL_UP" and "MOUSE_FLAG_WHEEL_DOWN".

I hope that helps.

So some more questions here:

• The "INT" prefix for variables? Those are internal ones to the bridge, so kind of like local state?
  • For ConditionValues, I sometimes see "=value" and ">value", what other operators work?

2 minutes ago, Ørjan said:

One question before I try to mess things up even more:

Is this the same version you have?

In the "programs and features" it says I have 2.0.0.1, but in the download section here it says 2.0.1

And the "Actions" -> "Settings" -> "About" will say "2.0.0", but yes that is the same version I have.

• Aerosoft
vor 10 Minuten, Bert Laverman sagte:

So some more questions here:

• The "INT" prefix for variables? Those are internal ones to the bridge, so kind of like local state?
  • For ConditionValues, I sometimes see "=value" and ">value", what other operators work?
  • Right: "INT" meaning "internal". Used to get the combined FCU/MCP and idle/full reverse functionality working in the default profiles. Generally you can define and use them yourselves.
  • Recognized should be: "==" and "=", ">", ">=", "<", "<=", "!="

1 minute ago, BenBaron said:
  • Right: "INT" meaning "internal". Used to get the combined FCU/MCP and idle/full reverse functionality working in the default profiles. Generally you can define and use them yourselves.
  • Recognized should be: "==" and "=", ">", ">=", "<", "<=", "!="

Ok, thanks! That'll give me something to play with.

BTW The default Alpha profile uses for some (but not all) lights a TOGGLE, while your own variable list also includes ON and OFF values. Wouldn't that have been easier?

Uninstalled via Windows Programs & Features, and installed the latest downloaded version.

I'm sorry to say, the lacking folders/files in the honeycomb bin are still missing after following the steps listed by Bert.

And under "Add-ons" tab in the sim, there is still only the yoke listed.

Would it work if I pasted the .json files in the bin folder?

Archived