Release - DHC-6 Twin Otter X

• Aerosoft

The De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter is one of the most versatile aircraft ever designed. Still Canada's most successful commercial aircraft program with more than 800 built the Twin Otter remains popular for its rugged construction and useful STOL performance. The De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter (aka Twotter) is one of those aircraft that should have been replaced by some new aircraft at least a decade ago. But it's not. The DHC-6 still flies and in fact the amount of registered airworthy Twin Otters is rising at this moment. The main reason for it is the fact it is just as much at home at the poles as it is in the tropics. It is used to maintain routes to airports up to 9000 feet and to ferry between islands. It will fly everywhere using wheels, floats or skis. It's a legend.

Find out more at: http://www.aerosoft-shop2.com/products/twi...twinotterx.html

twinotterx_29.jpg

The high end model presented by Aerosoft includes all versions and advanced avionics set. It is perfectly suited for use on some of our most favorite scenery products such as Lukla X and German Airfields 1. The gauges include two high end Bendix King systems that provide near perfect navigation and communication capabilities. Of course the original panel is also an option. One of the main design goals was to keep the memory and CPU load of this aircraft as low as possible to ensure good framerates. By keeping the number of non essential items in the models low this was achieved. The Twin Otter is only just more demanding then the very basic default aircraft of FSX!

twinotterx_9.jpg

• Five models (100 floats/wheels/ski, 300 wheel/wheel ski)

• Three different interiors (passengers, cargo, skydiver)

• Fourteen different liveries (paint kit provided to registered customers)

• Five different high definition flight models (exact on the numbers and very realistic feedback)

• Although complex, very easy on frame rate

• Sound set in full FSX format with sound cones (so when you walk around the aircraft the sound changes), with wheel, float and ski versions.

• Almost all gauges in the Model and not in GAUGE or XML format. This makes them totally smooth in Virtual Cockpit (same update as your frame rate).

• Seven view modes defined, no 2d cockpit provided (but you won’t miss it)

• Fully compliant to FSX dual cockpit and FSX failure modes

• Standard avionics or upgraded set with KX165A and KLN90B (a $15 value as stand alone gauges)

• Dual Bendix/King KX 165A Transceiver, advanced simulation of this best known transceiver.

• Bendix/King KLN 90B GPS Navigation System, advanced simulation of this complex navigation instrument

Find out more at: http://www.aerosoft-shop2.com/products/twi...twinotterx.html

twinotterx_26.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying as fast as I can! :D :D

Mathijs, I remember something about the float version being too ugly. Well, looks like it found its way to the advertising front page... ;)

Best regards,

Sergio

PD: Before I forgot to say so, I love your products, top notch, must've spent tons of euros with you by now. And, as a quick remark, the combination of Scenery Germany (any number) with FSMap is one of the most amazing experience I had in many years of simming! Now, "me wants" the same in FSX, so, PLEASE, accelerate "German Airfields" 2-8 and make them compatible with SP2!! :D

• Aerosoft
Buying as fast as I can! :D :D

Mathijs, I remember something about the float version being too ugly. Well, looks like it found its way to the advertising front page... ;)

Best regards,

Sergio

PD: Before I forgot to say so, I love your products, top notch, must've spent tons of euros with you by now. And, as a quick remark, the combination of Scenery Germany (any number) with FSMap is one of the most amazing experience I had in many years of simming! Now, "me wants" the same in FSX, so, PLEASE, accelerate "German Airfields" 2-8 and make them compatible with SP2!! :D

Thanks for the comments! And the other VFR scenery is fully in development and of course all will be SP2 compatible.

• Aerosoft
Thanks to the whole team on this release. You've made an old Otter driver very happy. :D

Off to fly Pago Pago to Ofu to Tau to Pago.

cheers,

steve :)

Pago Pago to Tau... that brings back memories. A few years ago I organised a Flightsim event. During the last section we had them fly VFR from Pago Pago to Tau. The moment Tau was visible we put in a some clouds so they could not see it anymore but the tower on Tau told them all was clear there. So the pilot were not worried, climbed a bit and took another beer.

Unknown to them we put in a 200 knots winds from the north-west. After 15 minutes we cleared the clouds and the pilots were looking at an empty ocean. Already past Tau and heading for Mexico 5550 miles ahead. only two of the five teams were able to sort out the puzzle. The others were picked up by the coast guard.

Hi

Wow that Twin Otter looks great.

Can you tell me if the VC has any refections or glass texture as I cannot see it in screen shots?

Many thanks.

Regards

Gareth

• Aerosoft
Hi

Wow that Twin Otter looks great.

Can you tell me if the VC has any refections or glass texture as I cannot see it in screen shots?

Many thanks.

Regards

Gareth

Yes, but it has been a highly debated issue in the beta test and we toned it down a lot as it was far to visual on some systems (depends a lot on settings and GPU hardware). it is also something that does not show well in screen shots. I attach two images that show how it looks on my secondary system. My main system with a more high end graphics card shows the effects less clear.

But if you like more or less reflection on windows and gauges, we can work that out. It's all just a matter of changing a few small bitmaps.

What a great airplane! I love this baby! I´ve just made some short hops around Toronto and it´s amazing! Such a detailed aircraft and I´ve NO impacts on the frames. It´s even running smoother than the default C 172 on my system! Great job! The Twotter is my favourite fixed wing aircraft.

And the sound is awesome! I was put back to my flights at the maldives with the twotter operated by tma. Even the stall warning made the correct sound. I have to fly this baby to Lukla!

One more question: is there a chance to get a 300 version on floats (long nose)? I´d really be more than happy if you could provide this version in a service pack in the future as tma (trans maldivian airways) flies them and I had some really impressive flights with them I´d like to "refly" in FSX!

Thanks again for this great Addon!

Yes, but it has been a highly debated issue in the beta test and we toned it down a lot as it was far to visual on some systems (depends a lot on settings and GPU hardware). it is also something that does not show well in screen shots. I attach two images that show how it looks on my secondary system. My main system with a more high end graphics card shows the effects less clear.

But if you like more or less reflection on windows and gauges, we can work that out. It's all just a matter of changing a few small bitmaps.

Wow - that looks great - just off to buy it now!!!

Many thanks.

Regards

Gareth

• Aerosoft
What a great airplane! I love this baby! I´ve just made some short hops around Toronto and it´s amazing! Such a detailed aircraft and I´ve NO impacts on the frames. It´s even running smoother than the default C 172 on my system! Great job! The Twotter is my favourite fixed wing aircraft.

And the sound is awesome! I was put back to my flights at the maldives with the twotter operated by tma. Even the stall warning made the correct sound. I have to fly this baby to Lukla!

One more question: is there a chance to get a 300 version on floats (long nose)? I´d really be more than happy if you could provide this version in a service pack in the future as tma (trans maldivian airways) flies them and I had some really impressive flights with them I´d like to "refly" in FSX!

Thanks again for this great Addon!

I know... but TMA is one of the few who flies that model, has not been certified for a looong time. On the other hand, they are such a great bgunch of guys we should really do it. Remind me after version 1.10 okay?

I know... but TMA is one of the few who flies that model, has not been certified for a looong time. On the other hand, they are such a great bgunch of guys we should really do it. Remind me after version 1.10 okay?

Yes, the 300 on floats seems to be an exception and I´d be really happy if you´d think about this model after version 1.10 or even later! When ever you and your team have time and fun (maybe the designers can´t see a Twotter for the next few months :lol: ) it´s great!

And yes, they´re a great bunch of guys! I had a lot of fun with them! The guy with the most stall warnings during one approach was a Canadian called Eric! It was a REALLY short landing! :lol:

Thanks for thinking about it! I´ll be back 8) :lol:

Pago Pago to Tau... that brings back memories. A few years ago I organised a Flightsim event. During the last section we had them fly VFR from Pago Pago to Tau. The moment Tau was visible we put in a some clouds so they could not see it anymore but the tower on Tau told them all was clear there. So the pilot were not worried, climbed a bit and took another beer.

Unknown to them we put in a 200 knots winds from the north-west. After 15 minutes we cleared the clouds and the pilots were looking at an empty ocean. Already past Tau and heading for Mexico 5550 miles ahead. only two of the five teams were able to sort out the puzzle. The others were picked up by the coast guard.

Yeah, most mornings when I was there I had the first flight of the day at 0600 and flew Pago to either Ofu or Tau, depending on the load for which was first, and back to Pago. Tau was usually no problem, but Ofu was the most difficult airport I ever flew into when the wind was from the north. Downdrafts off the island could make it impossible.

No tower and no official weather at either. I remember we'd call the station agents on the phone and if they said, "the sun didn't come up today", we knew it would be overcast and rainy. :D

That flight would be a good one for a mission if you guys are going to do some more for the Otter. Weather, load, fuel limits, and lack of approaches made it a pretty challenging trip at times.

Just flown your plane a little and it looks just great. I'll post some more of my thoughts on the flight model after I've spent more time with it tomorrow.

cheers,

steve :)

I have just downloaded and installed this beauty! I must say my first flight in it was wonderful. Just a short hop from YBRK to YGKL. Flawless flight and handles like a charm. Really great work I must say. Can't wait to start flying it out of Lukla :)

• Aerosoft
I have just downloaded and installed this beauty! I must say my first flight in it was wonderful. Just a short hop from YBRK to YGKL. Flawless flight and handles like a charm. Really great work I must say. Can't wait to start flying it out of Lukla :)

We'll start selling insurance next month.

Could you make a sticky tread for the Twotter witht the issues found, working solutions or workarounds? One that only you (or any other "official") can edit and that is closed to users? I'm losing track of all the threads here and having a hard time finding anything, the Twotter threads are exploding.

That way, you can add an issue in that locked topic when you read about it and can confirm it. And you can post the solution to it there too. And since you only do the editing there, it would stay usable.

Thank you. :D

I didn't manage to get answer here, but over on another forum, someone told me they are unable to find a version with the passenger door that contains the airstair. This is an unthinkable omission.

Are there plans to perhaps include this option later? I love the looks of the airplane, but this pretty much rules out simulating commuter operations-- the primary reason for some of us to buy.

Any chance of correcting this?

Thanks in advance.

Kent

I didn't manage to get answer here, but over on another forum, someone told me they are unable to find a version with the passenger door that contains the airstair. This is an unthinkable omission.

Are there plans to perhaps include this option later? I love the looks of the airplane, but this pretty much rules out simulating commuter operations-- the primary reason for some of us to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

I've asked for one as well, with the boomerang antenna on top of the cockpit roof etc, that way my RNoAF repaints will be more accurate. Chilean one would too. I'm talking -100s here.

Best

• Aerosoft

Thanks in advance.

Kent

There have been at least 6 different door 'styles' we choose the most simple one to make the MDL's as small and fast as possible. For the same reason we did not include a large selection of doors and hatches that open or objects that appear when you set the parking brakes. We focussed really on the flying in this product. If that makes commuter operations impossible for you I am sorry.

Perhaps in a later update.

Well... I seriously doubt that small stuff like the lower hinged fwd cargo door with airstairs and small blade antennas will make an impact on the pure flying of this thing (FPS) but I respect your decision and we can always have hopes.

Thanks

Hello,

What about the Anphibian version, is there really not one of those? This is the only otter version I've ever flown from the Lago Twotter. I live in Florida, and there is no other version to fly here other than the Anphib. Please make one and I'll be a happy camper.

See ya, Rockitglider

• Aerosoft
Hello,

What about the Anphibian version, is there really not one of those? This is the only otter version I've ever flown from the Lago Twotter. I live in Florida, and there is no other version to fly here other than the Anphib. Please make one and I'll be a happy camper.

See ya, Rockitglider

I knew you would get on my ass for that, lol. Sorry, not right now, perhaps later.