Twin Otter X: open issues

• Aerosoft

Gents although we spend many weeks testing there will be open issues and bugs to solve. For example only minutes after releasing I found one myself that eluded us all this time. But that's normal and that expected, if you bought products made internally in Aerosoft you know we always try to tune the product to the customer after the release. So if you got a request or a comment, post it here and we'll discuss it.

The bug I found? Silly one. On the Chilean one the red and green wing tip lights are mixed up (not the effect, but the color of the light).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I (we) know that Aerosoft always puts on a great after sales support show and I have no doubt, that issues (should there be any) will be ironed out. That's what makes Aerosoft one of the better companies out there. If I (we) find anything, I (we) will let you know.

Best regards...

Mathjis, do you have a diagram as to where the clickspot is for the fuel selector lever... I can't seem to get it to move to the "normal" position. All other levers and switches work perfectly for me.

Thanks in advance

• Aerosoft
Mathjis, do you have a diagram as to where the clickspot is for the fuel selector lever... I can't seem to get it to move to the "normal" position. All other levers and switches work perfectly for me.

Thanks in advance

Try the mousewheel. Will correct that in the manual.

• Aerosoft
Thanks i'll try that now... Can't get any fuel pressure... Both tanks full. Starters simply cycle over and over again without being able to engage the props.

The fuel switch should be on the 'standard' mode when you load the aircraft and it can just stay there. Make sure you got the main boost pumps on and that the Fuel Condition Levers are both fully forward.

Of course all the aircraft we do internally will also accept the standard [control][x] auto-start command.

OK Mathjis, that fixed it... great stuff. Love the visual model, sounds are brilliant. I have a problem with the main gear animation though. When turning at low speed sharply either way, the outside wheel in the turn virtually stops and the inside wheel keeps going, probably back to front.

By the way it was the fuel selector position that was the problem

• Aerosoft
OK Mathjis, that fixed it... great stuff. Love the visual model, sounds are brilliant. I have a problem with the main gear animation though. When turning at low speed sharply either way, the outside wheel in the turn virtually stops and the inside wheel keeps going, probably back to front.

By the way it was the fuel selector position that was the problem

Nice found on the wheels, not sure if we can solve it as the wheels are really very standard, but it is a strange effect and well look at it this week.

Hi,

I first posted this issue in the Catalina Beta forum but it looks like this is the area to comment on the newly released Twotter.

I can not seem to program the throttle reverse into my CH quad throttle. On all other turbo's, I program the throttle detent to reverse the engine. That way, as I land with my hand on the throttles, I just move the throttles to detent and the engine goes to reverse to help stop the plane.

The only way I have discovered to reverse the Twotter is to look away from the runway on landing and move my mouse to first one engine and then the second one and put them into reverse. During landing is not the best time to be messing with a mouse while looking away from the runway.

Hopefully, I am missing something and we can use the throttle controls to reverse the engine.

Great plane. Aside from this minor issue, I think the Twotter will likely become the same classic as the Beaver X.

Regards,

Paul

• Aerosoft
Hi,

I first posted this issue in the Catalina Beta forum but it looks like this is the area to comment on the newly released Twotter.

I can not seem to program the throttle reverse into my CH quad throttle. On all other turbo's, I program the throttle detent to reverse the engine. That way, as I land with my hand on the throttles, I just move the throttles to detent and the engine goes to reverse to help stop the plane.

The only way I have discovered to reverse the Twotter is to look away from the runway on landing and move my mouse to first one engine and then the second one and put them into reverse. During landing is not the best time to be messing with a mouse while looking away from the runway.

Hopefully, I am missing something and we can use the throttle controls to reverse the engine.

Great plane. Aside from this minor issue, I think the Twotter will likely become the same classic as the Beaver X.

Regards,

Paul

Does it work with the default King Air etc? As far as I know we used the same system to ensure compatibility with other addons and hardware. But you can always use the standard FSX command [F2] to go from flight idle to the beta range, no need for the mouse.

I`m probably incredibly stupid but is it normal that the twotter should pitch up when decreasing throttle and pitch down when increasing throttle?

The normal behaviour should be the opposite. (i think) :lol:

I'm stuck at work and have a 15 mile bicycle ride home into a 20 mph SW wind and rain. Promise me you won't run out before I get there :lol:

I also need a really good excuse for the wife that says unless I have the twotter tonight I'll just wilt away . .

Mathjis

Thanks for the response on the throttle reverse issue.

It turned out to be operator error.

I configured my CH throttle detent to the F2 function, but apparently didn't have the "repeat" function set.

Throttle reverse works fine once the operator knows how to use it.

Great plane. I see lots of hours of flight time pushing its envelope.

Is it normal that the twotter should pitch up when decreasing throttle and pitch down when increasing throttle?

The normal behaviour should be the opposite. (i think) :lol:

This seems backwards to me as well. It's very noticible when you pull the power off in the flare - You have to push forward on the yoke or the Otter will fall back on it's tail.

Seems that it should be nose heavy instead of tail heavy with the power off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ron

It actually is quite none heavy on takeoff..

Another couple of issues...

Try to start the engines on the float version at the dock at Vancouver intl. seaplane base... Complete runaway to the right. Smack in the enbankement. :lol: Any chance that the engine runup could be smoothed down since there is no parking brake on the float version?

Then there is the panel for the float version... Did you intend to have the GPS panel in this version? In case you did, you need to incorporate the GPS in the float model. Currently only seeing the org panel.

Well.. Too bad that it`s virtually unflyable with the pitch issue.. I had high hopes for this one.

• Aerosoft

This seems backwards to me as well. It's very noticible when you pull the power off in the flare - You have to push forward on the yoke or the Otter will fall back on it's tail.

Seems that it should be nose heavy instead of tail heavy with the power off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ron

There are more aircraft that do this of course, many aircraft with high mounted wings behave like this. Extending the flaps causes a large drag factor ABOVE the CoG, causing a nose up movement. Aircraft with long slender wings like the Twotter have only a limited pitch down movement as the additional lift is close to the wing center line. It is also an effect caused by the flaps-trim connection the Twotter has.

I will however discuss it ones more with the folks that know the aircraft better than me. Let's call it an open issue, you are not alone in your idea.

The flaps is not even in the discussion hare.. It behaves completely opposite normal in flight with flaps retracted. Reduce power=pitch up, Increse power=pitch down.

• Aerosoft
Hi ,

I have one problem:

While i´m flying the texture gets a little bit .... blurred

Thats only in the VC

You are either running low on graphics memory or you got the Global texture resolution set to something else but Very High.

There are more aircraft that do this of course, many aircraft with high mounted wings behave like this. Extending the flaps causes a large drag factor ABOVE the CoG, causing a nose up movement. Aircraft with long slender wings like the Twotter have only a limited pitch down movement as the additional lift is close to the wing center line. It is also an effect caused by the flaps-trim connection the Twotter has.

I will however discuss it ones more with the folks that know the aircraft better than me. Let's call it an open issue, you are not alone in your idea.

You are correct - with the high mounted engines and the thrust vector being above the lateral axis the pitching effect of power would be opposite of most aircrraft.

I haddn't given this much thought until today - great product - thanks again.

Ron

You are correct - with the high mounted engines and the thrust vector being above the lateral axis the pitching effect of power would be opposite of most aircrraft.

I haddn't given this much thought until today - great product - thanks again.

Ron

So you are saying that it`s normal for a twotter pilot to either push the yoke forward or set a -5.0 to -7.0 elevator trim when descending and landing on close to idle power?

Guess we are learning something new every day. :?

• Aerosoft

So you are saying that it`s normal for a twotter pilot to either push the yoke forward or set a -5.0 to -7.0 elevator trim when descending and landing on close to idle power?

Guess we are learning something new every day. :?

Seems a lot and not what I see. In normally land with something close to zero trim and I do expect a bit of pushing on final but not a lot, not more than other high mounted aircraft I have tried.

Don't take me wrong, it has been a controversy in beta, but the comments always always came from people who converted from low wing aircraft, not STOL high wing aircraft. So I am not saying it could not use a tweak, but we are not sure what way to tweak if so it behaves like customers expect it to behave.