Before I buy a second hand MSFS2020 premium boxed version

Hello to you all out there,

I'm planning on purchasing the new MSFS2020 Premium 10 DVDs Boxed Version from a guy who installed it on his PC only to realize his PC couldn't cope up.

To install it he created a Microsoft/Xbox account.
He inquired if he could resell it second hand due to the fact that he could not used it on his PC.
Microsoft told him that he had to close his Microsoft/Xbox account, which he did (it takes 2 months and will be closed as of January the 21st). Microsoft, well however there answered him, certified that after his account is closed whoever else (that being me now hopefully) would be able to install it and fly away ;-)

Has any of you out there been in the same situation or have any info on whether this is true or not. I just don't want to put my money in only to find out it's a down the drain deal.
So any confirmation or the opposite would really help.

I would like to add that according to the fellow and his inquiries, legally here in France you can resell a boxed version, it being physical (like a book or a music cd ...) and not virtual (has in the downloadable version in which case it is not possible).

Thanks & take care

ps: Please no punts or other weird remarks about buying a boxed version it is not the topic ;-)

==========================
French version just in case / version française au cas ou :

Bonjour à vous tous,

J'ai l'intention d'acheter le nouveau DVD MSFS2020 Premium 10 en version boîte à un type qui l'a installé sur son PC puis c'est rendu compte que son PC ne pouvait pas faire face.

Pour l'installer, il a créé un compte Microsoft/Xbox.
Il a demandé s'il pouvait le revendre d'occasion car il ne pouvait pas l'utiliser sur son PC.
Microsoft lui a dit qu'il devait fermer son compte Microsoft/Xbox, ce qu'il a fait (cela prend 2 mois et sera fermé à partir du 21 janvier). Microsoft, enfin celui qui lui a répondu chez eux, a certifié qu'après la fermeture de son compte, quiconque (c'est-à-dire moi maintenant, espérons-le) pourrait l'installer et s'envoler avec ;-)

L'un d'entre vous s'est-il trouvé dans la même situation ou a-t-il des informations sur le fait que cela soit vrai ou non ? Je ne veux pas mettre mon argent et découvrir après coup que je l'ai gaspillé.
Donc toute confirmation ou le contraire serait vraiment utile.

Je voudrais ajouter que selon le type et ses enquêtes, légalement ici en France, vous pouvez revendre une version en boîte, car c'est un objet physique (comme un livre ou un cd de musique ...) et non virtuelle (comme la dans la version téléchargeable, auquel cas ce n'est pas possible).

Merci et prenez soin de vous

ps : S'il vous plaît pas de jeux de mots ou d'autres remarques bizarres sur l'achat d'une version en boîte ; ce n'est pas le sujet ;-)

• Deputy Sheriffs

I was not er leugnetin that situation, but I would ask myself, how much money would I save by buying a used box. And would those savings be worth the trouble you might have.

And imagine, the user closed his account so the license key would be "free" again, but before sending to you he decides to open a new account (different name/different mail) and deny later that he used the license again. So you would have lost your money.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:32 PM, mopperle said:

I was not er leugnetin that situation, but I would ask myself, how much money would I save by buying a used box. And would those savings be worth the trouble you might have.

And imagine, the user closed his account so the license key would be "free" again, but before sending to you he decides to open a new account (different name/different mail) and deny later that he used the license again. So you would have lost your money.

Thanks for your feedback. The guy (I did get him on the phone) "seems" like a regular good person and I don't think he will use the key again. But if so, yes I would lose my money. I'll make sure it's ok on Microsoft's side and make up my mind. Thanks again

On 12/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Knowing how Microsoft handles these things, you can count on having to deal with some issues. 

Thanks for your feedback on this @Mathijs Kok. Yup the "some issues" you're referring to me thinks is the one about second hand with which it seems they are not keen with.
But as stated it is legal here in France to resell a boxed version, it being physical (like a book or a music cd ...) and not virtual (has in the downloadable version in which case it is not possible) and of course the person I would buy it from has to do what is needed to uninstall it and get it out of his Microsoft account and all that.

I'll inquire and make sure it's ok on Microsoft's side and make up my mind.

Thanks again

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 minutes ago, Lezig said:

But as stated it is legal here in France

Same here in germany (all EU), but I'm sure, MS cares a shit about this and one thing to add:
It is legal to sell used software (dont want to get in the details her), BUt it is not said how this has to be done. And if a software company charges you with 100€ migration fee, this is also allowed. It has nowhere been said that this has to happen for free. Something most people are not aware of.

So I personally would spend the full price and Bill Gates can again give some money to his charity fund. ;)

7 hours ago, mopperle said:

...a software company charges you with 100€ migration fee, this is also allowed.

So I personally would spend the full price and Bill Gates can again give some money to his charity fund. ;)

This kind of behaviour tends to crunch my nerves to say the least. Oh well anyway I guess you're right and that's what I'll end up doing :-(

• Aerosoft

Indeed, you can resell the software but we do not have a sales agreement with the new customer so we will always be unable to assist him. If the new customer wishes to have the product registered to his name, we gladly do that. But we will charge for that. 

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, you can resell the software but we do not have a sales agreement with the new customer so we will always be unable to assist him. If the new customer wishes to have the product registered to his name, we gladly do that. But we will charge for that. 

Thanks for coming back to me @Mathijs Kok Ok well, what would be the cost and how should I got about it. Greetings
In german ;-) : Danke, dass Sie sich bei mir gemeldet haben @Mathijs Kok. Ok gut, was wären die Kosten und wie kann das gemacht werden. Grüße

Archived