Sim-Wings La Gomera Airport for MSFS 2020 issues

Tom1957

Sir, 

Yesterday, I bought on the MSFS 2020 ingame shop "Marketplace" the La Gomera Airport scenery made by Sim-Wings. Unfortunately, I soon noticed that this add-on causes serieus problems (default scenery still visable, new scenery floating in the air and causing crashing to desktop). Because I bought this add-on scenery in the MSFS 2020 ingame  shop, I firstly informed MSFS 2020 by way of thier supportdesk "Zendesk". I got advise to delete and reinstall the add-on. That did not work however: the problems recurred.  Then I was told to contact the developer directly and came to this website. I am also an existing customer of Aerosoft Shop.

La Gomera arrived yesterday as a "new" add-on scenery in the MSFS 2020 ingame shop "Marketplace". Downloading and installing went without problems. In the Content Manager, it the add-on got the notification "up to date". Then I selected La Gomera and started a flight. On the Runway I saw the default scenery and buildings of the new scenery floating in the air. The default terminal building seemed to have swallowed the new scenery terminal building, for some parts of that were visable. So, I ended MSFS 2020 and restarted MSFS 2020. When I then selected La Gomera and clicked on "Fly" MSFS 2020 started to load and Crashed To Desktop. 

On advise of Zendesk I uninstalled the add-on and then flew from the default La Gomera without any issues or problems. Then reinstalled the La Gomera add-on, only to experience precisely the same issues as before. 

Zendesk then informed my to contact the developer directly. They suggested an update should help. 

Kind regards,

Tom

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Looks not as expected.

But I could not help yet, as Aerosoft is responable for the package send to Mircosoft and I have no idea what they send them.

The Gomera product sold through the Aerosoft store does not have this problem. We have to wait until Monday, when the responsable person is back  in the office, then I can ask him, what he as done.

Looks like the exclude of the default airport does not work here, so that the terrain is flatten by the default codes. This did not happen with the Aerosoft selled addon.

Is the gomera folder in the ..\Official\OneStore folder (what I would expect)? If so, may you can try to move the complete simwings Gomera folder to the Community subdirectory, if the effect is the same after the Simrestart.

Can you please make a screenshot, where the full airportarea is in view from the top? The island behind the airport looks not like a photoreal once I have here.

Hi Oliver...is it possible that Gomera is not compatible with the last updates.

As far as I know there have been elevation fixes that also affect Europe etc.

I own the Aerosoft version from simmarket and I think I'll have a look tomorrow...

• Developer

Yes, there are some changes in the mesh, which seams to be in a much lower resolution now in Gomera, so that some areas don‘t looks as before and a fence in the upper hill area seams to fly. Also the coastline of the island is not fitting anymore. As this is a total issue of the sim, we will wait now for a fix of Asobo or a possibly to integrate a custom mesh. But until now, the SDK is „ToDo“ in his part.

We can not change the airports any buggy update Asobo will make, then we never get it fixed for the users. As the runway and inner Airportarea is not effected, the airport is usable. But we hope the mesh can be set by a better once soon, the Island looks not like a vulcanisland now.

But what the screens we show here, is not that effect. Here all is flat and the default buildings are still existing. But it is possible, that the sim of this users has more issues too, thats why I ask for a overall screen of the area.

It is much frustrating, when the simulator is not compatible to his own handling, when the platform is updated. We see it every day at several issues we have in such critical landscape areas. Not even the engine will show the same between developer mode and final package. Not a platform to trust ;)

Maybe I now say something many simmers don't want to hear - not even myself 😉 -...

As long as Asobo/MS change fundamental things with each update I don't think it makes much sense to develop any Addons.

Especially when they are dependent on things the basic sim has to deliver.

Yes...the sim is sort of playable but in my opinion is still kind of banana software which surely needs at least another half year till all works as it should. It sould have never been released at this developement status.

But on the other side - to be honest - how many updates did P3D have (at last they are still working on it).

But sure the ongoing development doesn't make it easier for the addon developers.

Also Asobo makes it quite easy to themselves by saying when we change something the other developers have to update their software to fit our needs.

Surely a normal point of view but not helpful at the moment. 

• Developer

Thanks Christian, that‘s exactly the discussion I have with other developers every day. When the platform changes the handling with updates, it is not an issue of the addon developer, it is simple a unstabil platform.

When a OS system provides API and functions, which are use by Applications, it is possible, that API‘s have bugs and could not be used, but when they do what say should and then changed by an OS Update, it will result in absolute chaos, when all Application are not anymore usable, as the code don‘t work as before.

Such an OS has no future.

We developers are trained to find workarounds, when the platform has missing features, and after FSX SP2 was released 2007 and Microsoft lost the interest at this „Game“ and fired the development team, we found solutions to open and missing functions. The users could use the platform with the addons (beside some bugs in the addon itself to be fix) until now.

There is no problem, when the platform adds new features to use, which makes it easier and better to implement addons, but when I have a state based on the codes the platform provide, I could not change the addon every time the platform developers think it is better to change the implementation of the existing features.

They can do that in the alpha and pre beta phase, but not when the product is at the market and users expect to use it with the addons existing an working correct before the next update. 
Mircosoft get a lot of your money, when you buy a Addon in there shop and we needs to invest time from the rest every two week to check, that the addon looks like before and must spend more money to fix the issues the platform generate? And the user needs to wait weeks, until the fixed code is available in there accounts (The release of the Addon needs 3 weeks until it was in the Microsoft Store).

No, that‘s not a business model that can work.

What happens, when after every monthly Windows update, several Applications will not start or show different results and the user will get the answer of the Support „the Application needs to be changed“. That‘s not a base to work.

Ok, back to the issue now.

So maybe I got a fix for the problem.
But it´s at our own risk..and the question is how long it will last...

In fact Asobo gave us all more frames.
But by doing what...right changing the LOD
I think is was 10 at the start...now it´s set to 2.
But to change it back again you have to edit a base file (be sure to make a copy of the original file before and store it a save location).

The file im talking about is named "config.toml" which is located in "Official\OneStore\bf-pgg\PGG"

There you got the lines

# enables switching lods for debugging

lod_override = false

lod_override_with_lod = 2

which you can cange to

lod_override = true

lod_override_with_lod = 10

8 or 6 for weaker PCs.

On my side with LOD set to 6 and the terrain level set to 125 in the sim, the airport is shown correctly.

And yes of cause you loose the 8-10 fps we got with the last updates.

Furthermore debug LOD causes only generic buildings at some standard airports.

You have to live with that, or not doing this fix...
All in all - it has pros and contras - as all in life. And it shurly would be better Asobo fixes this thing

I found this on the internet..and for me its working.

Edit: In fact even without this fix my airport is displayed right :-).
But as said I got the aerosoft version and not the marketplace version

Maybe its my general setting

By the way..if the thraet opener uses nvidia driver in combination with the GeForce Experience it could be usefull to check grafic parameters after every driver update. My driver always tries to optimise the game which results in worse grafic details... maybe its something similar here.

• Developer

Thanks for the info, even when the change of internal config files is not the best way.
Why this options are not available to the user settings in the Gerneral Menue? It is funny to improve performance by reducing density/quality of the content.

In P3D we can provide Meshes with 1m resolution and the user can set the Meshdensity to 1m (in the Menu) with no critical performance impact. Maybe Asobo should have a look into there codes here.

• Developer
1 hour ago, christian1974 said:

lod_override = true

lod_override_with_lod = 10

Have test this changed parameters, but it does not effect the terrain in Gomera in any case. Cache was cleared.

Here what I see after the update to 1.11.6.0 two week ago:

1  and 2 marks the area of the fence and the terraforming of the street, which fits to the terrain mesh before the update perfect,

now the fence is "flying" and the street is several meters lower then before.

Also the base mesh is now missing in some areas (3) where the terraform only lift up some parts, but don't have the smoothness at the edges anymore.

Also the coastline is not anymore following the water, what was correct before. As this also happen with the rest of the island, it has nothing to do with parts of the airport addon area.

Simple the terrain is not as detailed as before for the complete island area.

Hallo Oliver...in fact we are on 1.11.7.0 meanwhile 😉

But as I showed in my screenshots I don´t have any issues with normal lod and with my settings.

So there must also be some other things at the treat opener side.
Maybe another scenery (as far as i know there also was a freeware version) that is not deleted and therefore interfering...
Or maybe the marketplace version really is buggy. Who knows if asobo/ms does not make any changes to the files there ??

And yes what you show under point 4 seems to affect the whole island. Just flew around and saw several of these issues.

• Developer
31 minutes ago, christian1974 said:

Hallo Oliver...in fact we are on 1.11.7.0 meanwhile

Yes, but the update to 1.11.7.0 has not fix the effect, but the issue is "since" 1.11.6.0. The problem is, that I can't go back to the version before 1.11.6.0 to check and show the situation before anymore. When P3D V5.1 HF1 has an issue, I can go back to the previous Build anytime.

And the issue of the thread opener TOM1957 is different to this one, as there all is mess up, I don't know why. But as we don't see an overview screenshot, I have no tip here.

Hello mr. Pabst,

Here are some screenshots of La Gomera Airport from above. I do hope, they will help you.

Luckely, I made them during the first time, I noticed the bugs. Because when I now start MSFS 2020 and want to fly from the add-on  La Gomera Airport, the game crashes to the desktop (CTD). And also if I start from a nearby airport like e.g. Tenerife Sur, Reina Sofia, after 5 minutes out and heading towards La Gomera, the game CTD. Only when I "delete" the La Gomera Airport add-on and uses the default airport, there are no CTD. That an airport causes a CTD is not the first time. Before this, I had same problems with the LFOU - La Cholet Airport add-on. That was solved after an "dev update" by Asobo.  I agree with Christian1974, that all those changes in the game by Asobo makes it difficult for the add-ons. I think we need an stable platform, like FSX in the end was, not an ever changing one, still under development. 

• Developer

Ok,

I got the package Aerosoft send to Mircosoft and there is all ok, when I test it with the Sim.

In your case, there are part simple not loaded, as the complete Terraforming is missing and all Airport definition parts.

Two things you should try:

1.) Move (not copy) the "aerosoft-airport-gcgm-la-gomera" folder from the Offical\OneStore into the Community folder and check if the airport is displayed different after you start the Sim.

2.) If not, move the folder to a same place outside the sim and go to the Profile->Content Manager in the Mainmenu select the La Gomera product and redownload this, then check it again.

Maybe the download was buggy or incompete.

We wait for your feedback.

Hello Mr. Pabst,

I did wat you asked me to do. I followed all the steps. but alas, I saw floating buildings again. And after restarting MSFS and slelecting La Gomera and pushing  on the "fly" button MSFS starts loading the flight, only then to CTD.

On the FS forum other simmers complain about having exactly the same problems with some other payware third party airports:  

Full list of the ones that cause me to CTD on trying to load in,
LFOU by Azurpoly
LFMD by LMT Simulation
EGTB by Pilot Plus
LSGS by RedWing
S20 by DC Scenery Design
GCGM by Sim-Wings

So I think it is an Asobo problem.

One of the simmers had made an test and error report. Maybe this can help: 

This is my new Experience (Zendesk-Talk to Devs):

Hello,
i tested what i want to do and here it is:

Step 1: deleted both Airports RedWing LSGS and Azurpoly LFOU in Explorer in Sim-Folder “Official”.
Step 2: downloaded both ingame in Content-Manager.
Step 3: load a Flight from LFOU to LSGS. The Flight was good, 1 hour 23 Minutes in the TBM 930 (no Mods). So far so good.
Step 4: Quit the Sim and start it again. Load the same Flight with same Settings and on the Loading-Screen CTD at about 80% of Loading.

Event-Log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5fc94fca
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.19041.662, Zeitstempel: 0x27bfa5f0
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000045f86
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2a08
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6d229b4384fa3
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Berichtskennung: 7fb78fe1-3967-4c99-9f60-b912ea7154ca
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

Good evening,

A new development. I discovered that if I delete the La Gomera scenery in the MSFS 2020 content manager and then download it again, I now have the scenery normal without any visual bugs. No stutters during downloading the flight. I can fly normally and experience no problems at all.

But, if I close MSFS 2020 and on a later moment open it anew and then select a flight from La Gomera  and push on "fly", MSFS 2020 does a CTD. 

Other simmers, with airports doing CTD informed me that they have the same experience. 

I do not know if this new information helps, but to me it just looks like something disappearing  / stopping after shutting MSFS 2020 down and thus missing / not working the next time I start MSFS 2020 up again. 

While the Holidays are near, I wish you a merry Christmas and good New Year.

Kind regards,

Tom

• Developer

Thanks Tom for the feedback.

But, I have no Idea here, as I restart the MSFS with starting a flight in GCGM every day multi times while development and never see that problem.

But we all are at the moment on „try and error“ mode, as nothing is clear defined in any parts, SDK is only a „under construction“ paper and we only follow the problems every update my generate new. It is frustrating at all. Lets see, what the update announced for tomorrow will brings as solution or new issues.

Also for you and your family all the best for Christmas and the next year, it could only be better at all :)

• 4 weeks later...

It seems, that the content in the MSFS 2020 marketplace is not updated in time. In some cases it might take to 6 weeks, I am told. Disgusted by noticing that here on Aerosoft the La Gomera Airport had been updated and not in Marketplace, I bought it here and installed it. 

The La Gomera Airport scenery now works without any problems! So, it is not your scenery, but Asobo's fault.

• Developer

The Version 1.1.1 of La-Gomera is now also available as Update from the Ingame Marketplace. I hope this fixes all issues there.

Archived