Honeycomb Configurator Questions

Hi guys,

New here and have some questions re: the Honeycomb Configurator application.  I've just downloaded and installed this application from the Honeycomb site in anticipation of receiving my Bravo Throttle Quadrant in the coming weeks.  It's a beta but seems to work pretty well as near as I can tell without having the hardware.  In messing around with it, I've come across a couple of questions or perhaps suggested changes to the utility and I couldn't find any forums specific to this utility so I hope this is a good place.  It's the configurator for X-Plane.

My questions are:

1. It seems that the configurator creates a .json file for each device (Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle, etc.) There is also a plugin that runs inside of X-Plane and that plugin reads the .json files created by the configurator.  So I'm assuming the configurator doesn't need to be running for X-Plane to "see" the configurations, is this correct?
  2. In perusing through the "default" configuration for the Bravo, I see what seems to be "Internal" variables such as "INT:FCU_SELECTOR, string" which are used elsewhere as conditions for other knobs/switches.  However, there is no documentation as to how these are created, what format to use, etc.  In the above example, the string is pretty obvious as the value is set as "IAS", "CRS", "HDG", etc. and I'm sure it would support integers as well as other value types.  However, could we get some documentation as to the exact format for these fields?
  3. Also in regards to the Internal variables, can a variable defined in one device be used as a condition on the other device?  For example, can a button on the yoke be assigned as a variable that would then be used as a "shift" function for buttons/switches on the throttle?
  4. Finally, in the conditions area for LEDs there is a "Condition-Link" field which is either "AND" or "OR".  This determines how the various conditions (if more than one are present) are evaluated.  In one case, an LED would light if any of the conditions are true (e.g. Low Oil Pressure would light if any engine has a low pressure indication), but in another the LED would light only if all conditions are true (i.e. Landing Gear Position has a value greater than 0 AND less than 1).  Is it possible to have advanced logic such that several conditions are evaluated, some with an AND and some with an OR?  A good example would be the landing gear light that would come on as indicated above but also if a "Lamp Test" were activated.  So it would need to be "Landing Gear Red = Landing Gear Position > 0 AND < 1 OR Lamp Test Active".

Hoping to hear more on these questions.  I know this software is in beta right now, at least as I understand it, and I'd like to have some input as to additional features or enhancement to existing features.

Highspeed

EDIT:  Ooooops, I meant to post this in the X-Plane 11 General Discussion forum.  Moderators, please move.  Thanks.

So I've made some additional discoveries on my initial questions.  I had been focused on this utility to configure things for the Bravo Throttle Quadrant, but found that it can also be used for the Alpha Flight Control (yoke) as well.  So in testing on the Alpha, I've found the following:

1. The configuration utility does NOT need to be running once you've applied your configuration for each device.  As in my initial assumption, the utility creates the necessary .json files for the plugin.  Once this is done, the configuration utility can be closed and the plugin will do the work within the sim.
  2. I've successfully created/used an INT: (internal) variable of type int (integer).  This is allows me to use a button as a "Shift" button so that other buttons can have two functions.  It'd still be nice to have some more documentation on what all can go into the Variable field aside from the datarefs/commands of X-Plane itself.

I'm hoping one of the devs might see this and respond but if not, I'll open a support ticket instead.

Highspeed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I am also new here( as a HC user). I have some questions about the configurator, too.

1.  What is the difference between "condition" and "Variable"??

2. What does the "Index" do?

3. There is "Value" in both "Condition" and "Variable". What do they stand for respectively?

4. If I have activated one profile in the configurator, do I have to select the profile of a specific plane in the Setting of Joystick of the X plane setting page?

Thanks a lot!!!

ps. A documentation of how to use and set the configurator is highly expected!!

• Administrator

Hello,

yes, we are working on descriptions and tutorials....

I think at first it is a good idea to look at our Tutorial Videos.... There is also the Conditions and Varaibles described.

Short...:

Conditions are like "if this is the fact = Conditions, Then do this = Variable.

For example the left small rotary knob on the Bravo Throttle . If this is set to HDG (Condition) then the right rotary knob (decrease and increase) will move the HDG Bug....

But here the link to the tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMP5Kj3ebA&list=PL-CM2J7huv9GsJLInEaXS71CKKU_5g3Sl&index=1

I will try to make one or two templates for X-Plane with the Honeycomb hardware but this will take some time as I am also new with this hardware ... and the Honeycomb Configuration Tool.

Greets Heinz

• Administrator

I have opened a new section with our forum for this Honeycomb Configurator.... and I have moved this posts in it..

So I think it is better because we have all Honeycomb discussions in one Subforum.

Greets Heinz

Hello,

is there an internal database of variables/datarefs/commands within the Honeycomb Configurator?

I was setting mine up today, and find that the default increase of AP Altitude takes many turns of the knob to get 100ft increments. The commandref used is sim/autopilot/altitude_up or _down. The solution to this is to use one of the default FlyWithLua scripts called "autopilot 100ft up-down command.lua". What this script does is simply creates 2 new commandrefs that increase or decrease the AP Altitude by 100ft increments. The commandrefs are called FlyWithLua/autopilot/dec_alt_100 and FlyWithLua/autopilot/inc_alt_100. But it appears when saving these in the configurator variable field, the increase/decrease knob does nothing. As can be seen in the screenshot, I have entered them in the Variable field in place of the original command.

unknown.png

When I use DataRefTool with the Flywithlua commandrefs, they are working perfectly when I click Press, indicating its not a FlywithLua/X-Plane issue, but seems more like the Configurator only supports the default variables that ships with the sim.

unknown.png

• Administrator

Do you have tried to enter a Value with the Variable - command "sim/autopilot/altitude_up (or _down)?

For example write 100 into the Value field.

If the Configurator can use FlyWithLua commands I don't know....

Will try to ask the developers....

Greets Heinz

13 minutes ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Do you have tried to enter a Value with the Variable - command "sim/autopilot/altitude_up (or _down)?

For example write 100 into the Value field.

If the Configurator can use FlyWithLua commands I don't know....

Will try to ask the developers....

Greets Heinz

The commandref does not take a value. It's a command just like the original, not a datatref.

This is an issue with FJS 722 planes, where the default increment for "sim/autopilot/altitude_up" appears to be very low, requiring a workaround. This may also be an issue with other planes.

Hi! I have a question here. After configuring the configuration tool and activate it, do we have to assign something to each knob or button in the Joystick setting page on X plane?

When I open the Joystick setting page, I can see the buttons assigned with the name(like Alt, HDG, etc.) but followed by "Do nothing"(like the pic I attach).

Do we have to assign these "Do nothing" with some specific command?

Thanks!

Please login to display this image.

• Administrator

No, if you have all these Switches configured with the Honeycomb Configurator, then you have not to configure it with the XP11 Menu too.

But you must not configur these Switches from the Autopilot with the Configurator. 

In X-Plane 11 the Configurator is more useable for the rotary knob left and the Increase/decrease knob on the right of the Throttle.

And additionally for the Led Lights.

This is because X-Plane 11 byself has very much Commands to use for configuration with the X-Plane 11 Menu Settings - Joystick byself.

So if you configure the Autopilot Switches in X-Plane 11 Menu, then you must not configure it with the Configurator (and vice versa) ....

Look also here with the video... about time 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BABKIVwr7xc&list=PL-CM2J7huv9GsJLInEaXS71CKKU_5g3Sl&index=7

Greets Heinz

• Administrator

Little request:

If you all have a new question or a new problem with the Honeycomb , then please create a new topic for that with a matching title....

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1066-honeycomb-configurator-x-plane-11/

"Start new topic"

Its easier to find such new questions for other users who only read this forum.... and also for us (moderators ....).

Thanks... :)

Heinz

15 hours ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Little request:

If you all have a new question or a new problem with the Honeycomb , then please create a new topic for that with a matching title....

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1066-honeycomb-configurator-x-plane-11/

"Start new topic"

Its easier to find such new questions for other users who only read this forum.... and also for us (moderators ....).

Thanks... :)

Heinz

Oh! Thanks for mentioning!!

:) 

Hi! 

I have done exactly what the video told me to do to set the rotary knobs in the configurator.

However, only IAS and HDG responded when I rotated the right rotary knob. All three others did nothing( no increase or decrease) when I rotate the right rotary knob.

Any possible reason for this? Or how can I fix this, please?

Thanks!

I have attached the picture showing how I set the configurator(Alt in this case)

• Administrator

Hello divinglyc,

please open a new topic for this question.

It is better with a new topic as to post it here in the Topic from Highspeed1964 (first post), because it is no answer for Highspeed1964 but a new question:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1066-honeycomb-configurator-x-plane-11/  (Blue Button: "Start New Topic")

Thank you.

But For now (for the problem):

Please don't enter "100" in the Value field for the altitude (up and down).

And test again....

10 hours ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Hello divinglyc,

please open a new topic for this question.

It is better with a new topic as to post it here in the Topic from Highspeed1964 (first post), because it is no answer for Highspeed1964 but a new question:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1066-honeycomb-configurator-x-plane-11/  (Blue Button: "Start New Topic")

Thank you.

But For now (for the problem):

Please don't enter "100" in the Value field for the altitude (up and down).

And test again....

Thanks a lot for answering me and I will try it later.

And sorry to post it here because I thought it was related. I will start a new topic later. :) 

Thanks again!!

Hi I seem to be missing something obvious here. I'm trying to install the Windows version for Xplane 11, and the software won't even get past the startup. I have a Steam install of Xplane located here:

X:\XPlaneOnly\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11

when I run the setup to install and select that directory I get an "Xplane not found" error. 100% that is where Xplane lives on my PC.

• Administrator

Hello,

here a short description of  a possible solution (comes from Honeycomb):

Please look into this file "x-plane_install_11.txt"

You find it in this windows system folder.

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local/

At first make a backup of the file (x-plane_install_11.txt).

Open it with a small editor (windows editor) and delete all path's which are not matching your mentioned Steam path to X-plane 11.

Then save the file.

That should fix the problem.

Be careful in this location. It is a windows system folder.

Greets Heinz

• Administrator

Ok, that is good. Thank you for info....

Have fun with the configuration ....

By the way:

Next time please open a new topic in this subforum for a new question.

Don't use a topic from another user for a new problem. Thank you.

Its easier for us and readers to find this problem and the solution :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 4:24 PM, virtualzeus said:

This is an issue with FJS 722 planes, where the default increment for "sim/autopilot/altitude_up" appears to be very low, requiring a workaround. This may also be an issue with other planes.

I've been able to adjust this within Plane Maker for several aircraft.  Go to:

Standard > Systems

Under the 'General 1' tab change 'autopilot altitude-select step size' to your preference.  The attached picture shows an adjustment rate of 10' per turn.

• 3 months later...
  • Aerosoft

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived