Sceneries and problems with lights on certain add on planes.

Tor A Hansen

I am using Prepar3d V5.1 latest hf(but the issue was the same in the previous version)

I can only speak for the PMDG737NGXu and the Flysimware Lear35A as those are the two add on planes i fly.

There is a problem with ANY add on airport that the taxi and landing lights on these planes simply do not illuminate the ground.

I have the same results in Mega Oslo V2, ENVA Vaernes v.2, Sindal EKSN(Vidan), Aalborg EKYT(Vidan) and all other add on scenery that i have installed.

My theory is that it has something to do with interaction between the materials or textures used on these add on sceneries and the 3d lights on the aircraft, i have been in contact with flysimware and they released an update for the lights on the Lear35A but sadly it did not correct the issue.

Here is a few photos:

As you can see if i place the aircraft on the grass the light works fine, as soon as i go onto the apron or runway it does not. The PMDG Landing lights also work until i am above the runway then goes black.

In one of the pictures i am on a default runway and as you can see the lights illuminate the ground. The picture named onapron shows the nav light on the top of the tail illuminates ground for some reason but not the other lights.

If anyone with these two planes and some of the beforementioned sceneries could do a few tests to see if they have similar results that would be great, maybe we can  get to the bottom of this.

And maybe the developer of these sceneries can think of a reason why this would happen? As it stands now it is impossible to do night ops in any of these planes at any add on airports that i have (most from aerosoft)

On Runway

Please login to display this image.

On Apron

On default runway

On the grass between the runway and apron

• Aerosoft

As this happens to all these products, I suggest you let Lockheed know. Lighting is a very 'fluid' issue in their sim at this moment and we know they are working on it. But it seems with every fix other things get messed up.

Yes sir i have posted and investigation of this issue in the LM forums is ongoing and so far found no solution, i must stress that the problem is there only in add on airports and not on P3d default scenery.

Maybe you are in contact with some of the developers like Mr Jo Erlend Sund and could point him in the diection of this thread just in case he might have an idea as to what could be causing this?

Are these scenery ruways and aprons fully compatible with the PBR system?

I also hope maybe some other users of these planes and sceneries could do some testing to see if they have the same issues to rule out a hardware or setting fault on my end.

Thank you.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Is there anybody else you has this issue?

To find the answer to that question is part of the reason i started this topic. I would really appreciate it if anyone using Prepar3d V5.1(including Aerosoft)could fire up their sim and PMDG737NGXu or Flysimware Lear35A(or just any other add on plane for that matter)and have a look.

It is really sad not to be able to use any of my add on airports at night after spending hard cash on scenery(wich by the way are excellent during daytime), as of now the only option for night time ops is to disable(wich means uninstall)the sceneries at night and reinstall when morning comes.

20 hours ago, Gregg said:

I have noticed this issue as well - PMDG 737 at Gran Canaria. There is no illumination of the ground materials by aircraft lights.

G

Thank you for having a look and reporting back, appreciated.

• Developer

I could not say anything to about PMDG 737 or the nordic airports.

But I checked Gran Canaria, as I think the sim-wings Gran Canaria Pro is used here.

With the Aerosoft Airbus all the runway and Taxiways are illuminated as expected,

the default P3D aircrafts like the C130 also light the ground, but less then the Airbus, which depents on the effect configs of the taxi/runwaylight effects used by the aircrafts, which are different in this cases.

Keep in mind, that there is no real light in the P3D existing, the dynamic light effect is only a rendering „trick“ where in the area of the configured light effect zone, the night and the daycolors of the pixels are mixed, based on the configured intensity and maybe „colored“ by the RGB values given for the light in the effect config.

When the ground is very dark, like a asphalt runway, this keeps relativ dark even after the mix of both.

The calculation of this process seams to be variate with any release of P3D since 5.0, as we have need to reduce the values for the apron dynlights in relation to V4.5 in 5.0 already, as all was to bright.

So maybe the effect configs of the aircraft landinglights needs to be reconfigured too, but maybe increase in this case.

From the scenery side, there is nothing we can change, as the textures are as they must be for the looking and not have „parameters“ for the dynlights.

Archived