P3D V5

phrgflyer

On 11/18/2020 at 6:20 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

As far as I know there is no progress. P3d V5 is not a very popular platform at this moment.

Shame to hear that. Admittedly I think reason V5 is slow to catch on is that a lot of addon devs are taking their time updating their stuff to V5. For example Tacpack is still not V5 compatible yet and neither is my iFLY 744... Which makes a lot of us with payware addons stay with V4 until we see that we can use our addons since those addons in many cases cost more than the P3D license itself. That being stated from what I have heard the F-14 seems to work in V5 for the most part as is but the afterburner effect is missing... I know several devs have stated there are challenges related to the DX12 usage. That being stated once I see more of my addons become V5 compatible I fully plan to move to V5 as from the previews I have seen the graphics look amazing and after having beta tested MSFS2020 I have decided to stay with P3D...

• 2 weeks later...

After installing the f-14 into v5 everything works just fine, except for the afterburner effects.... surely it would not take too much effort to resolve this.... the F-14X is looking incredible in DX-12, certainly a shame not to see support continuing for what is definitely my favourite FS addon, i have purchased this aircraft twice in the last 3 years..... once last month.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to respectfully disagree with Mathijs on this one.  P3D V5 has significantly better framerates and performance,  looks better and is better overall than V4 in most areas.  I own and fly them all...P3D V4.5, P3D V5.1, MSFS 2020.  I like the MSFS graphics but that only goes so far.  It has a long way to go to be a serious flight sim versus a casual flight sim.  MSFS has no helo capability yet, serious lack of add ons, etc.  It may catch up but it will be a significant wait.  I have already moved to P3D V5 for serious simming especially carrier ops, but as stated above the pace of updates for V5 from third party vendors has been very slow, possibly impacted by COVID, but definitely slower than V3 to V4.  I would pay for the F14X V5 version just as most would pay for the VRS Superbug and TacPac if needed.  The V5 performance increase and graphics improvement is more than worth it...IMHO.

P.S. I also fly Xplane 11 and have owned every flight sim since MSFS 1.  Beta tested many.

• 3 weeks later...

I concur, P3Dv5.1 works much better on my system than 4.5.

My system is somewhat dated and for the first time flights through large metropolis’ with detailed scenery is possible!

I spend my $$$ with the developers that have updated their products to v5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

P3Dv5 has definitively gained in popularity now. I don't think the original response to the question is still as valid.

P3D5 was released when MSFS2020 was just around the corner, and I think most people assumed P3D5 was going to be stillborn because of that. 

But people like me are now putting MSFS back on the shelf to let it mature a bit more and are re-investing in P3D - Especially now 5.1 is out. As others have said, the leap from P3D 4.5 to 5.1 is very impressive.

Personally, I find MSFS too much of a mixed bag - half the time you are amazed, and the other half of the time you are pulling your hair out. With P3D, it might not be amazement, but its a consistent smile 🙂

From my perspective, I'm expecting it to be at least 2 more years before MSFS is as much of a 'usable sim' as P3D. The list of defects and enhancement requests Asobo are dealing with is immense, and the code is far from mature enough (they still introduce plenty of new bugs with each new update). Its a hugely exciting platform, but needs to mature and stabilise so much more yet.

Until then, I honestly think that more add-on dollars will be spent on P3Dv5 than MSFS.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, adzofyorks said:

After installing the f-14 into v5 everything works just fine, except for the afterburner effects.... surely it would not take too much effort to resolve this.... the F-14X is looking incredible in DX-12, certainly a shame not to see support continuing for what is definitely my favourite FS addon, i have purchased this aircraft twice in the last 3 years..... once last month.

By me it is not working after installing to P3D v5.1

On 4/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, david_wi said:

By me it is not working after installing to P3D v5.1

Can I ask which version of the F-14 you are running?

You should have version 3.1.0.2 - which you can check by running the Updater (available elsewhere in this forum) or by looking in your downloads section.

Dave

On 4/16/2021 at 6:03 PM, dhazelgrove said:

Can I ask which version of the F-14 you are running?

You should have version 3.1.0.2 - which you can check by running the Updater (available elsewhere in this forum) or by looking in your downloads section.

Dave

Yes the updater shows version 3.1.0.2 but still will not show up in sim. I installed it to G:\P3D V5 Addons

On 4/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, dhazelgrove said:

Glad it's sorted. What did you add?

Dave

In C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Add-ons 

Added this text

[Package.17]
PATH=G:\P3D V5 Addons\Aerosoft F-14 Extended
TITLE=Aerosoft F-14 Extended
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Archived